Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 8/08 Angels @ SOX

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    I like this danny character.
    Yup

Deity
    I did watch the game--a dazzling, vintage Sale performance with lots of fastballs, 13 K's, 2 hits, 0 runs in 8 innings and 93 pitches, all of which suggest that maybe his problem was telegraphing his pitches. He did have his changeup and slider working, but I think 2/3 of his pitches were fast balls. I've advocating he learn how to throw a curve--which shows how much I know about what works for Chris Sale.

Also a modicum of redemption for Sandy Leon--also good because the Sox need two viable MLB catchers.

Sox are 5 games above .500, still have a losing record at Fenway, and are 5.5 back of the Rays and 5 back of the A's for the second wild card slot. So, in the immortal words of Billy Crystal in the Princess Bride, the Sox are only mostly dead. Still too soon to look for loose change in their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I did watch the game--a dazzling, vintage Sale performance with lots of fastballs, 13 K's, 2 hits, 0 runs in 8 innings and 93 pitches, all of which suggest that maybe his problem was telegraphing his pitches. He did have his changeup and slider working, but I think 2/3 of his pitches were fast balls. I've advocating he learn how to throw a curve--which shows how much I know about what works for Chris Sale.

Also a modicum of redemption for Sandy Leon--also good because the Sox need two viable MLB catchers.
    As jung pointed out, Sale has always done extremely well against the Angels, so we have to temper our excitement a bit on that account.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    As jung pointed out, Sale has always done extremely well against the Angels, so we have to temper our excitement a bit on that account.
    I don't see it. In the last 6 seasons, 2014 thru 2019, Sale has pitched against LAA exactly 3 times--this year, superb, 2017, pretty darn good (6 innings, 0 runs), and 2014, not so hot (7 innings 5 runs, 4 earned). 3 games is a miniscule sample vs the 24 games he started this year alone. He had one other great game this year, June, against the KC, when he pitched a shutout. June overall was a good month, ERA 2.79. But July and August have been pretty awful until last night. Also, FWIW, this year's Angels are 12th in MLB in runs scored. 2 years ago when he shut the Angels out for 6 innings, they were 22d in runs scored.

The only think I will grant Jung is that Sale has been so bad this year, it's really hard to claim this one game is proof he has turned things around. So of course we have to see some more. If he has turned it around, I can only add it couldn't happen to a better guy.