Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 563

Thread: Sale to IL with elbow injury

  1. #181
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Pablo was a better idea of a signing than Sale
    Sandoval was a misguided signing from Day One....

  2. #182
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    He's too busy building up the Jays farm system.
    It's sort of weird so many think Cherington is relegated to do-nothing jobs around MLB, or out of MLB altogether. We rooted for a team that had a former GM as the first base coach just two years ago. Cherington is doing a far more responsible position than that...

  3. #183
    Deity
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,656
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's sort of weird so many think Cherington is relegated to do-nothing jobs around MLB, or out of MLB altogether. We rooted for a team that had a former GM as the first base coach just two years ago. Cherington is doing a far more responsible position than that...
    Gotta admit, Cherries seems to have done a decent job with the Jays farm. We need a guy like Cherries and a guy like DD to have a head on collision and have the docs put together a Pres of Baseball Ops out of the remaining usable limbs and various body parts. THATS OUR GUY!!!!

  4. #184
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's never going to be easy being head of baseball ops of the Boston Red Sox.

    Theo is gone.
    Ben is gone.
    DD will soon be gone.

    Combined they won 4 titles, the most of any team this century. And yet they're all goners...
    Given all the dead money attached to this team, the next GM will be a goner too, unless he can build a winner with a 110 mill worth of salaries.

  5. #185
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Given all the dead money attached to this team, the next GM will be a goner too, unless he can build a winner with a 110 mill worth of salaries.
    Paging Andrew Friedman...

  6. #186
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    19,982
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's sort of weird so many think Cherington is relegated to do-nothing jobs around MLB, or out of MLB altogether. We rooted for a team that had a former GM as the first base coach just two years ago. Cherington is doing a far more responsible position than that...
    Of course he is. That Cashman tried to hire him as soon as he left the Red Sox speaks volumes.

  7. #187
    Legend Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,824
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Sandoval was a misguided signing from Day One....
    i think JH was counting on mounds of $$ from the panda hat sales.
    other names i have posted under: none

  8. #188
    Legend SoxHop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,499
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Sandoval was a misguided signing from Day One....
    I don't agree.

    He should have at least held down the fort in a position where no Sox GM had a clue how to just have a reasonable human stand in that position.
    Now somewhere in the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
    There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
    And one day his woman ran off with another guy

  9. #189
    Legend SoxHop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,499
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I don't agree.

    He should have at least held down the fort in a position where no Sox GM had a clue how to just have a reasonable human stand in that position.
    Then he ate everything in sight
    Now somewhere in the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
    There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
    And one day his woman ran off with another guy

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    To be fair, as the de facto leader of the Fire Dombrowski Movement, he isn't gone and we really don't know if he actually will be...
    I don't see how DD can be blamed for our SPers sucking this year. Yes, he should probably have obtained another RP, but if our SP did their job we would still be in the playoffs. DD assembled a competitive team....which didn't do their job.

  11. #191
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I don't agree.

    He should have at least held down the fort in a position where no Sox GM had a clue how to just have a reasonable human stand in that position.
    He was overpaid and screamed "decline." While he was worth 7.7 fWAR the 3 previous seasson, the late Luis Valbuena was worth 6.0 fWAR those same years while playing about 60 fewer games.

    Sandoval received a 5 year $85mill contract that the Sox are still paying despite releasing him 3 years ago. Valbuena signed a 2 year $10mill contract, played it out, and moved on. For the Sox, Sandoval was worth (-1.4) fWAR before being released. Valbuena provided Houston with 3.7 fWAR in that same timeframe.

    Sandoval looked like just chasing the bigger name and getting burned by it...
    Last edited by notin; 08-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.

  12. #192
    Legend SoxHop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,499
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's sort of weird so many think Cherington is relegated to do-nothing jobs around MLB, or out of MLB altogether. We rooted for a team that had a former GM as the first base coach just two years ago. Cherington is doing a far more responsible position than that...
    Seriously, you kill me man. Too funny!
    Now somewhere in the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
    There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
    And one day his woman ran off with another guy

  13. #193
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Paging Andrew Friedman...
    Pry him loose with a 10 year contract... as long as it's not part of any salary cap, I'm with it.

  14. #194
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I don't see how DD can be blamed for our SPers sucking this year. Yes, he should probably have obtained another RP, but if our SP did their job we would still be in the playoffs. DD assembled a competitive team....which didn't do their job.
    Well, he held over a successful team from last year and has done nothing to improve it. Cherington built a Wolrd Series Champion in 2013 and did nothing as well in 2014, and the team was not successful. Was that on the team or Cherington? Because Ben was stripped of some of his responsibilities the next season...

  15. #195
    Legend SoxHop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,499
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He was overpaid and screamed "decline." While he was worth 7.7 fWAR the 3 previous seasson, the late Luis Valbuena was worth 6.0 fWAR those same years while playing about 60 fewer games.

    Sandoval received a 5 year $85mill contract that the Sox are still paying despite releasing him 3 years ago. Valbuena signed a 2 year $10mill contract, played it out, and moved on. For the Sox, Sandoval was worth (-1.4) fWAR before being released. Valbuena provided Houston with 3.7 fWAR in that same timeframe.

    Sandoval looked like just chasing the bigger name and getting burned by it...
    Well, even at the time it wasn't a brilliant signing. But we had to do something about third.WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING!

    And yes, it turned out to be the worst possible. No one could have predicted it would turn out SO SO bad.

    If things went right, we would have plunked his ass down and he would have covered third for his contract, and we wouldn't have had to worry much about it.
    Now somewhere in the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
    There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
    And one day his woman ran off with another guy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •