Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Sale to IL with elbow injury

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    6 mil? Your yelling at the clouds. 6 mil is a round off error for a guy that might have helped fill in for broken ass Pedrio.
    $6M is two decent relief pitchers or 1 good relief pitcher. Would we have liked one of those? Could Sam Travis filled in the Pearce role leaving that $6M for relief pitching? YUP!

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    $6M is two decent relief pitchers or 1 good relief pitcher.
    Depends what you mean by a good relief pitcher.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Depends what you mean by a good relief pitcher.
    Roll the dice.

Showcase showdown on the wheel of fortune.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Plus 6 mil gets you a washed up crack addict who's been in jail longer than in MLB. Worth a shot, but not worth much of a shot.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Deity
    I would rather have seen DD spend more time trying to build a pen. However DD has NEVER built a pen and here we are watching the dynamics of MLB pitching change year by year. Plain on the nose on your face. Apparently beyond DD's comprehension.

So you can counter that Pearce was not that big a deal. But Pearce is just another indication of how far behind DD has grown. He has aged beyond his usefulness in this job. Got us a WS. Job done. Thanks and see ya' Dave.

I would rather have seen DD spend more time trying to build a pen. However DD has NEVER built a pen and here we are watching the dynamics of MLB pitching change year by year. Plain on the nose on your face. Apparently beyond DD's comprehension.

So you can counter that Pearce was not that big a deal. But Pearce is just another indication of how far behind DD has grown. He has aged beyond his usefulness in this job. Got us a WS. Job done. Thanks and see ya' Dave.
    Was he wrong for not knowing Chavis could play well enough to cover for a likely injury to Moreland?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Was he wrong for not knowing Chavis could play well enough to cover for a likely injury to Moreland?
    Chavis is not the issue. What Chavis could or could not do at 1st base turned out to be a convenience since they brought him up for his bat and hardly cared where he played. Travis could easily have filled the Pearce role and THAT should have been the decision. Either that or spend the $6M on a 1st baseman other than Pearce. There was NOTHING to recommend Pearce for that contract....NOTHING!

Looking ahead, I would like to see the Red Sox sign W.Smith for 2020. They have the resources for him, and then use Chavis as a trade chip for a SP. Dalbec takes over 1b and Hernandez and Chatham battle it out at 2b, freeing up Chavis for a trade.

We are looking at an awesome offense for 2020:

Betts RF
    Devers 3b
    Bogaerts SS
    Martinez DH
    Benintendi LF
    Dalbec 1b
    Vazquez C
    Hernandez/Chatham 2b
    Duran CF

The difficulty: getting the pitching staff back on track.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-20-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Chavis is not the issue. What Chavis could or could not do at 1st base turned out to be a convenience since they brought him up for his bat and hardly cared where he played. Travis could easily have filled the Pearce role and THAT should have been the decision. Either that or spend the $6M on a 1st baseman other than Pearce. There was NOTHING to recommend Pearce for that contract....NOTHING!
    Well, he did post a .901 OPS for us in 50 regular season games last year. Not too shabby.

Legend
    I agree, but if you add his $6.25M to what we had under the tax line, we'd be close to what Ottavino got.
    Getting Ottavino wouldn't change a thing. The SPs still sucked.

I agree, but if you add his $6.25M to what we had under the tax line, we'd be close to what Ottavino got.
    Let's not forget that Ottavino didn't just get 9 million, he got 9 million times 3 = 27 million.

That said, Ottavino looks like a great signing for the Yanks at the moment. Probably the best of the larger contracts given out to relievers this offseason, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Getting Ottavino wouldn't change a thing. The SPs still sucked.
    I agree. I was not being critical.

We needed a SP'er: Eovaldi was the wrong guess. (I liked the signing.)

We needed help at 1B, because Moreland always gets hurt and sucks vs LHPs. (I didn't think Chavis was an option. I wasn't high on the Pearce signing, but it did fill a need.)

In hindsight, had we signed Morton and Ottavino instead of Eovaldi & Pearce, it would have cost about the same in 2019 and overall.

Again, it was a guess. I did not want Morton, so I can't bash DD for not signing him.

I did like Ottavino alot, but I also liked Cody Allen, so again, I can't bash DD for these choices, except in hindsight.

We'd probably be the WC lead with Morton and Ottavino. We might be 3-4 games closer with just Ottavino instead of Pearce (and a non tendered Thornburg).

Deity
    Well here you go - Just read what Chris Sale had to say and I will unequivocally say that anyone posting here who thinks for one minute that this man should not have been reupped is a jackass. You have no clue about what we have. Some of you think that you have so much knowledge about baseball in general which personally I kind of question. You can stick your chests out and rant about how much we overpaid for this old decrepit future HOFamer all you want. he will be back.. Oh and just for the record comparing dombrowski (man) to cherington(boy) is asinine.

"Nothing" is a little harsh. The guy was a damn good hitter for 3-4 years before the signing not just the WS.

Moreland sucked against LHPs, and Pearce was a top 20 hitter in MLB vs LHPs over 2-3 years. He had even done quite well vs RHPs from 2017-2018,

Come on! Sam Travis! You have to be kidding.

Talk about "NOTHING." The guy was going backwards.

As it turned out, Moreland got hurt. Had Pearce been healthy, he might have filled the job much better than what anyone, in their right mind, could expect from Travis & Chavis.
    Plus, Chavis could have been used more at 2B had Moreland and Pearce not been hurt. We may have improved 2 positions with the one Pearce signing. His injury prevented us from ever finding out.

I do not think the signing was based on just the WS. He may have gotten $1-2M more by having a great series, but we'd have still tried to get a back-up 1B last winter.

(I'm not saying I think that was a higher priority than the pen. In fact, I think and thought we needed pen help- see my Cody Allen rants, but 1B was a priority. Let's not sugar coat our winter feelings for Travis and Chavis after the fact.)

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Well here you go - Just read what Chris Sale had to say and I will unequivocally say that anyone posting here who thinks for one minute that this man should not have been reupped is a jackass. You have no clue about what we have. Some of you think that you have so much knowledge about baseball in general which personally I kind of question. You can stick your chests out and rant about how much we overpaid for this old decrepit future HOFamer all you want. he will be back.. Oh and just for the record comparing dombrowski (man) to cherington(boy) is asinine.
    Phew.

I guess I'm not a jackass. I loved the signing then. I still think it was the absolute right thing to do.