Register now to remove this ad

Page 225 of 371 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275325 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    This all comes back to this team and their farm system. If they gonna be cutting payroll they better get some damn good prospects back.
    Depends on who they deal. Won’t get them for Price and/or Eovaldi...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    but i mean...you did actually hear/read/see that JH stated he wants to get under the LT this season?
    you can put your head in the sand about it if you want but that doesnt make it not true.
    is it because some of us have been stating that JH would eventually do this and some of you have insisted that $ / payroll doesnt matter?
    it's ok to be wrong. it's ok to be right. it's ok to not know. but it's kind of dumb to try and say that water isnt wet......

MLBTR gave reasons why the Sox will try to get under the limit, and in essence, going over for another year will end up costing the team about $100 million in various ways. Even to John Henry, $100 million is a lot of money...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That is where you get into trouble. Desperation to keep a window open and selling long term assets for short term is where you get bitten. Cashman has been VERY reticent to do that. To this point, the deals he has been apart of are squarely in his favor. You have to know your farm system and deal off assets before they turn into pumpkins and keep the assets that are gonna be great
    You are correct, but with an investment like this no one will let some prospects to stay in the way of a WS ring, Cashman has been cautious in dealing prospects, but if we get closer to the trade deadline and we have one clear weakness and dealing prospects will fix it, then you deal those prospects for the missing parts
    Last edited by Carpin; 12-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Plus, once the Yankee top prospects graduate, the replacements may not be as good, since they will be drafting lower and have less international money to spend going forward.

Part of the reason their farm got so good was through trading vets for prospects. That ain't happening in this window.
    We better take advantage of this window, because this contract will come back and bite us in the rear side.

Teams have been more conscious on the value of prospects and the big market teams have invested heavily in Latinamerica where a big part of the top prospects come from, that and a lot of luck will get a team on top for an extended period of time. The case of the Dodgers is a clear example of this, they been incredible in the draft and in the International market, even if they don't have a WS ring to show for it, it doesn't diminish their amazing farm system in the last few years.

Legend
    New York Post columnist Joel Sherman addresses the Red Sox "mess":

https://nypost.com/2019/12/11/gerrit...indor-pursuit/

Our top 10 is mostly IFA signings and right now has one guy acquired in a trade, and it wasn’t a vet for prospect deal. It was Jake Cave, who was out of options, for Luis Gil. What a fucking steal that one was
    I was speaking of the Yankees farm over the last few years, and yes, it was helped by those deals for prospects.

Okay, most of the trade guys are graduated or gone, now, but their not as highly ranked as a farm anymore either.

You guys have continued to do well with IFAs, but your pool money will be lower going forward. To expect your farm to stay very good as you draft low and get diminished pool money is a hope not based on the odds.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

When did this turn into the Yankee Forum? Who the f@@@ cares about them?

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    New York Post columnist Joel Sherman addresses the Red Sox "mess":

https://nypost.com/2019/12/11/gerrit...indor-pursuit/
    Joel and the other New York Post boys will be the first ones to lose their minds if Gerrit Cole gets off to a shaky start in the Apple.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    When did this turn into the Yankee Forum? Who the f@@@ cares about them?
    We have you and Slasher here to batter them, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Joel and the other New York Post boys will be the first ones to lose their minds if Gerrit Cole gets off to a shaky start in the Apple.
    He had a 4+ ERA after May. sub 2 ERA the rest of the way. I don't think there will be panic in the streets
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I was speaking of the Yankees farm over the last few years, and yes, it was helped by those deals for prospects.

Okay, most of the trade guys are graduated or gone, now, but their not as highly ranked as a farm anymore either.

You guys have continued to do well with IFAs, but your pool money will be lower going forward. To expect your farm to stay very good as you draft low and get diminished pool money is a hope not based on the odds.
    The Yankees made a 9 year $324 Mil contract for one player. I would say that was a huge risk for them. Will he stay healthy and for how long. I can imagine 7 years of an unproductive $36 mil weight on their team. Position players are less of a risk, but even then the long term contracts foor those players have significant risk and should be entered upon with the realization they could backfire.

He had a 4+ ERA after May. sub 2 ERA the rest of the way. I don't think there will be panic in the streets

Yankees now have positioned themselves to dominate next three or four years. If it wasn't for Ellsbury, they could've have signed another starter. Scary thought.

We're fighting for a wildcard spot.

There would be some angst, with scribes and message board wizards pointing out that he threw 249 innings last year and 462 innings the last 2 years-massive totals by today's standards-and suggesting it may have caught up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    You are correct, but with an investment like this no one will let some prospects to stay in the way of a WS ring, Cashman has been cautious in dealing prospects, but if we get closer to the trade deadline and we have one clear weakness and dealing prospects will fix it, then you deal those prospects for the missing parts
    like last years trade deadline and your clear weakness was SP?
    other names i have posted under: none

are you kidding me? when he gives up a bomb in his first start there will be pinstripe fans jumping from the GW....
    other names i have posted under: none