Register now to remove this ad

Page 269 of 371 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319369 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm 99% sure the Sox will find a way to reset, this season. Whether it's trading Betts or Price or Eovaldi & JBJ or some combination, they will reset.
    Not sure why you're so convinced. They backpedaled on the re-set statement almost immediately, first saying it wasn't a mandate and then saying the top priority was a competitive team.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Not sure why you're so convinced. They backpedaled on the re-set statement almost immediately, first saying it wasn't a mandate and then saying the top priority was a competitive team.
    come on bell. you know that was damage control because: season tix.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    come on bell. you know that was damage control because: season tix.
    And how are ticket sales going?

To me, it makes much more sense to reset this year than next.

To me, they "backpedaled because they want to sell season tickets.

They may just trade JBJ and wait until July to decide, but since I don't think we will make the playoffs this year, I'm guessing they trade enough players to get under the line by season's end.

It's just my opinion. I've been wrong before.
    Sox 4 Ever

To me, it makes much more sense to reset this year than next.

To me, they "backpedaled because they want to sell season tickets.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but what do we know about how ticket sales are doing? Maybe the King of Talksox could give us some observations on that.

Right now the average Sox ticket buyer has to be rather befuddled about what team he's going to be seeing.

i have no idea. i try and get up to Fenway for 1 game a year.
    but that is the only reason i can come up with on how quickly they backpeddled the "mandate" statement.
    marketing 101...don't undersell your product and don't piss off your clients.
    the PR department had to be flipping out when the "mandate" statement was first made.

September 27th:
    Boston Red Sox controlling owner John Henry said Friday the team plans to cut salary during the offseason in order to fall below the competitive balance tax threshold for the 2020 MLB season.
    "This year we need to be under the CBT and that was something we've known for more than a year now," Henry said. "If you don't reset there are penalties so we've known for some time now we needed to reset as other clubs have done."

later that day Tom Werner walked it back (or tried to) per Alex Speier:
    Werner then clarifies that Sox have a goal to stay under, but may end up going past the threshold depending on circumstances.

Me? i'll go with what the owner said.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what do we know about how ticket sales are doing? Maybe the King of Talksox could give us some observations on that.

Right now the average Sox ticket buyer has to be rather befuddled about what team he's going to be seeing.
    I'm not sure it matters all that much, but I'm sure it makes some difference.

I remember not feeling so great going into 2013, but that was a very exciting year for Sox fans.

Henry will make a boatload of money no matter what, so it's basically up to him about us trying for one last hurrah or resetting the tax and maybe start back up with the spending in 2021 (including Betts?).
    Sox 4 Ever

September 27th:
    Boston Red Sox controlling owner John Henry said Friday the team plans to cut salary during the offseason in order to fall below the competitive balance tax threshold for the 2020 MLB season.
    "This year we need to be under the CBT and that was something we've known for more than a year now," Henry said. "If you don't reset there are penalties so we've known for some time now we needed to reset as other clubs have done."

Werner then clarifies that Sox have a goal to stay under, but may end up going past the threshold depending on circumstances.

If, somehow, we are looking like contenders in July, I can see Henry giving the okay to put off resetting another year.

The worst thing that can happen is us not spending this year, not winning, and also not resetting the tax.
    Sox 4 Ever

September 27th:

Except there have been further statements from the FO since then, echoing the walk-back theme.

Except there have been further statements from the FO since then, echoing the walk-back theme.
    Has "the man," Henry walked it back?
    Sox 4 Ever

Has "the man," Henry walked it back?
    No, but he has often let others speak on these matters. You might remember this Lucchino guy...

It's reported that Henry actually owns only about 40% of the shares. He's 'principal shareholder', but he doesn't own a majority of shares, so he can't make any decisions on his own. He needs Werner's support.

I am betting that they are not going that well just based on the marketing that I am seeing.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

I just have anecdotal information. I let my season tickets go, because they raised the prices and the secondary market sucks. I got notified that they have not released my tickets into the pool yet and that I can still buy them. Translation: No one has purchased them yet.

The guy from Ace who would take a lot of my tickets each season, told me that they are cutting way back on their inventory of Red Sox tickets. Last season was a very bad year for that segment of their business and their outlook for 2020 is not good. They will usually ride out a bad season to keep the relationship going, but they are seeing a bad trend. The offer that he made to me was for all the best games at a substantial loss. I don't mind losing $500 -$1000 to keep the season plan going, but if I start out at with a loss on day 1, I would end up taking a bath as the season progresses.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

I just have anecdotal information. I let my season tickets go, because they raised the prices and the secondary market sucks. I got notified that they have not released my tickets into the pool yet and that I can still buy them. Translation: No one has purchased them yet.

The guy from Ace who would take a lot of my tickets each season, told me that they are cutting way back on their inventory of Red Sox tickets. Last season was a very bad year for that segment of their business and their outlook for 2020 is not good. They will usually ride out a bad season to keep the relationship going, but they are seeing a bad trend. The offer that he made to me was for all the best games at a substantial loss. I don't mind losing $500 -$1000 to keep the season plan going, but if I start out at with a loss on day 1, I would end up taking a bath as the season progresses.
    Thanks.