Register now to remove this ad

Page 116 of 371 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

If the Astros win this year, it will be 4 rings in a row for teams that dominated in the regular season.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    When the last time those two teams won a ring?

Yes, they win and have a strong farm, but they never win it all.
    The Dodgers might not have a ring but they are in the postseason every year..

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Dodgers might not have a ring but they are in the postseason every year..
    7 division titles in a row is very impressive.

But 4 of them came with 91 or 92 wins, so the competition wasn't the grestest.

Deity
    I disagree. We built better teams than the Dodgers, and we sacrificed the farm to do it- not just DD, either.

the 2013 team was somewhat lucky, but we still had a top 3 winning % every year we won.
    So you’re saying it does have to be an either/or situation?

The Goantyeon 3 World Series titles in the past 10 years. Now they’re a horrible team with no farm and tons of bloated contracts.

The Dodgers have dominated the NL West I recent years and been intwo of the last 3 World Series. They also have a strong farm that prevents them from filling the roster with expensive deadweight.

Are you saying you thing the Giants are in the better situation?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If the Astros win this year, it will be 4 rings in a row for teams that dominated in the regular season.
    In 2018 the Red Sox won 108 games while the Houston Astros won 103 games playing in a tougher division. The Red Sox were 3-4 against the Astros in the regular season before eliminating the Astros 4-1 in the American League Championship Series.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    In 2018 the Red Sox won 108 games while the Houston Astros won 103 games playing in a tougher division. The Red Sox were 3-4 against the Astros in the regular season before eliminating the Astros 4-1 in the American League Championship Series.
    Dominated may not have been the exactly right word. But 108 wins is a pretty high number.

I wonder how recent that research is.

Not true.

The odds given before the playoffs starters were:

30:1 TB
    25:1 MIL
    20:1 OAK
    18:1 WAS
    17:1 STL
    16:1 MN
    9:1 ATL
    5:1 NYY
    11:4 LAD (2.75:1)
    2:1 HOU

That's about as far from a crap shoot as can be.

Yes, the Nats beat the odds, but Houston is going to win it all. No way they had a 1 in 10 chance- same as everyone else. Not even close.

2:1 vs 30:1 best vs worst.

'Odds' was not the right choice of words then. Those are betting odds, not statistical odds based on correlations.

It is true that the single factor that has the strongest correlation to postseason wins is regular season wins, but even that correlation is not very strong.

Legend
    The Red Sox reportedly have spoken with former Cincinnati Reds manager Bryan Price about their pitching coach opening:

https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/stat...70571630264320

Which raises the question of who is speaking on behalf of the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So you’re saying it does have to be an either/or situation?

The Goantyeon 3 World Series titles in the past 10 years. Now they’re a horrible team with no farm and tons of bloated contracts.

The Dodgers have dominated the NL West I recent years and been intwo of the last 3 World Series. They also have a strong farm that prevents them from filling the roster with expensive deadweight.

Are you saying you thing the Giants are in the better situation?
    It might not "need to be either or," but I'm not sure I wished we tried to have it both ways.

Could we have won without Manny? Without Dice-K? Without Lackey? Without Kimbrel or Sale?

We probably could have without Crawford, Thornburg and others, but we won by making sure we had a better than just good enough team.

I'm okay with second-guessing, and I do it myself enough, but I'm not going to be over-critical on anything that brought us 4 rings in 2 decades. In hindsight, we could take back some trades or signings, here or there, but I think we need to "go for it" from time to time.

Yes, I wish we didn't go as far as we did, but who am I to say we didn't need to. We got the rings, and it was worth it. We've had some great farms and some great teams, and sometimes both at the same time. It won't ever be as easy as it was before, but I think we can get back to the top in a few short years.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    'Odds' was not the right choice of words then. Those are betting odds, not statistical odds based on correlations.
    The opening odds given are largely based on correlations and trends from the regular season along with who people are betting on or are likely to bet on.

I just can't believe the Brewers, A's and Ray's had close to the same chance as the Astros or even the Yankees or Dodgers.

Maybe your idea of close is different than mine.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Red Sox reportedly have spoken with former Cincinnati Reds manager Bryan Price about their pitching coach opening:

https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/stat...70571630264320

Which raises the question of who is speaking on behalf of the Red Sox.
    I agee. Still further important decision making prior to naming a GM. Is this a sign that the GM will be named from within?

I’m wondering if it would be Ferreira. Reason being is that hiring a female GM would be ground breaking, newsworthy, and MLB doesn’t like major announcements during the end of the playoffs to throw shade on the World Series.

Houston has added top of the line starting pitching each of last three years. That's how you go for it all.

Yankees could have used one this year.....