Register now to remove this ad

Page 173 of 371 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    We all knew if he was great for 3 years he would opt out. But once he got injured that second year, the chances of his opting out plummeted drastically...
    Yes, and that's when everyone jumped on the "hope he opts out" bandwagon despite the odds being close to zero.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No doubt Shaughnessy has unimpeachable sources. But it’s definitely true he puts a pessimistic spin on everything as he has for decades...
    Nothing wrong with being a cheerleader, of course, but in the marketplace of ideas and insights, reading a pessimist now and then can be worthwhile, especially if they have good sources.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, and that's when everyone jumped on the "hope he opts out" bandwagon despite the odds being close to zero.
    I didn't think he would opt out, but I also don't mind that he's staying. If Mookie leaves, I don't see JDM moving to RF, but do think the Sox will need his bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I didn't think he would opt out, but I also don't mind that he's staying. If Mookie leaves, I don't see JDM moving to RF, but do think the Sox will need his bat.
    This was about the Price opt out way back when.
    Sox 4 Ever

If Mookie doesn’t resign and JD has another monster campaign, I can see him opting out to go to a better opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If Mookie doesn’t resign and JD has another monster campaign, I can see him opting out to go to a better opportunity
    JD's opt out date is right after the season ends though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think JD will opt out, unless he gets hurt or has an off year. I don't think Mookie's situation plays into his choice much at all.
    Sox 4 Ever

I don't see JD opting out, unless he has a monster 2020. His back and ankle will be another year older, and the collective bargaining agreement expires after 2021 -- which might mean even less suitors willing to extend an already-expensive DH. A lot of clubs may want to see how new compromises could affect market prices... this may also be a factor for Betts and his agents when considering possible offers by Boston in the next year.

No opt out.

If Betts looks at Boston's farm system, he might not like what he sees. Corner infielder Triston Casas is the only Red Sox prospect who ranks among MLB Pipeline's Top 100 overall, and he barely made the cut at No. 85. Casas also might not reach the Majors for another two years.

"It is universally believed that the Sox's best hope at finding impact young talent resides in the lower levels of the minors, leading to more uncertainty," Bradford writes.

Don't we have Xander to a long term contract? We have Devers. Our we just going to have bunch of chumps? How many more wasted contracts does he think we'll give out? A ten year deal is long time. Is the writer implying we'll suck for 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I don't see JD opting out, unless he has a monster 2020. His back and ankle will be another year older, and the collective bargaining agreement expires after 2021 -- which might mean even less suitors willing to extend an already-expensive DH. A lot of clubs may want to see how new compromises could affect market prices... this may also be a factor for Betts and his agents when considering possible offers by Boston in the next year.
    He makes a lot less in 2021 and 2022.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He makes a lot less in 2021 and 2022.
    It's still 19.4 million * 2, though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's still 19.4 million * 2, though.
    Yes, but he has to get hurt or have a bad year to not be able to sign a 3+ year deal for more.
    Sox 4 Ever

Some winter farm notes from soxprospects.com:

2017 first-round pick Tanner Houck (pictured) got the start in Wednesday's Super Round matchup with Australia. The righty allowed two runs on just two hits in his five innings of work, striking out five, walking two, and throwing 46 of 72 pitches (63.9%) for strikes. Unfortunately, that was all the support the Australian staff needed, holding the USA lineup to a single run and saddling Houck with the tough-luck loss. Noah Song was outstanding, going unscored upon in 3 1/3 hitless innings across three appearances. Song struck out three and walked one, with a particularly dominant effort coming in Friday's win over Taiwan. video:

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/stat...41348964110337

At the plate, CJ Chatham started all five games, going 5 for 17 with a double and two walks. Chatham played almost exclusively second base, save for two innings in left field in Monday's contest. Bobby Dalbec also started each game, twice getting the call at first base and serving as the designated hitter in the other three. He was 3 for 17 on the week with a double, three walks, and seven strikeouts. Marco Hernandez saw his first action of the winter for Licey. The infielder homered as part of a 5 for 19 week, driving in a pair of runs. All five of Hernandez's starts came at second base.
    Sox 4 Ever

Tanner. such a freakin awesome baseball name. rooting for this kid. bigly.
    other names i have posted under: none