Register now to remove this ad

Page 101 of 371 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The fact is, we didn’t become a back to back 100 win team by spending.
    2019 payroll for tax purposes:

Boston 242 million
    NYY 234 million
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    2019 payroll for tax purposes:

Boston 242 million
    NYY 234 million
    NYY $231 mil
    BOS $241 mil

Yes, we ended up in the lux tax, but we didn't rebuild by spending. We rebuild then filled in around the core with FA talents or guys we got in trade.
    Hal sucks

NYY $231 mil
    BOS $241 mil

Yes, we ended up in the lux tax, but we didn't rebuild by spending. We rebuild then filled in around the core with FA talents or guys we got in trade.
    Not to be fighting over peanuts, but I'm quite sure the 234 mill number for the Yankees is correct. It explains why they capped their offer to Keuchel at 11.5 mill and wouldn't match the 13 mill offered by Atlanta.

Legend
    Christopher Smith of masslive.com weighs in on the Red Sox payroll:

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2019...n-players.html

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Christopher Smith of masslive.com weighs in on the Red Sox payroll:

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2019...n-players.html
    Mr. Smith makes a glaring error when he reports that JBJ has two years of control left.

We kept adding ancillary pieces to stay relevant, but we didn’t really jump in the standings until the kids graduated and took on huge roles. It took from 13-16 to grow the farm. We drafted Judge in 13. We signed Sanchez in 11. Sevy was around that time. We drafted JMont in 14. We dealt for Hicks by using JR Murphy. We dealt for Didi by sending off Greene. We got Torres by dealing off Chap then resigned him. We dealt off Miller and got Sheffield who we flipped for Paxton. We dealt off Beltran for Tate who we flipped for Britton. We dealt off Nova for Polo who we paired with Rutherford in the big CWS deal that brought us KRob and Kahnle. We dealt off McCann for Abreu and Guzman. Guzman was the centerpiece for Stanton.

The fact is, we didn’t become a back to back 100 win team by spending. We became a back to back 100 win team by dismantling in 16 while also grooming the #2 farm system in baseball. We then used that farm system to build a team that’s won the second most regular season games in baseball over the last three seasons and is very much arrow up in terms of future projections. That we didn’t end up below .500 from 13-16 was due to the additions on the big league end.
    Please. I've always respected you, buy you are losing my respect. 2013 was NOT ancillary pieces added. You guys signed 4 QO free agents plus Tanaka! Two were for 7 year contracts! At least admit your rebuild was just from 2014 to 2016.

You've been saying mediocrity is not the way to rebuild, yet the model you keep using, your own team, did just that.

It was not a 4 year rebuild.

IMO, it was not even a 3 year rebuild; it was 1.5 to 2 years.

I'm not arguing dismantling is not the key. I believe it is to some extent. You rebuilt when you sold your pieces for young players and prospects. That was not over a 4 year span. It was quick, and the turn around was quick.

Our ring in 2013 was largely a result of the Dodger sell-off trade in August 2012. That was a less than one year rebuild and turn around.

Our 3 division titles and ring in 2018 were helped by the pitching sell-off in 2014. We won 71 games in 2014, 78 in 2015 and then won the division 3 years in a row. That was a 1.5 year rebuild and complete turnaround.

Quick turn arounds are doable, and I'm surprised you have forgotten such recent history already.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

You’re way off. Two QO FAs in McCann and Ellsbury. We signed Beltran, who wasn’t eligible for a QO and we signed Tanaka.

We spent to stay mediocre. We made no major prospect trades. The biggest names we dealt as prospects were Rookie Davis, Eric Jagielo and Yangervis Solarte. Not exactly a who’s who of prospects. This is how we stayed competitive. We had dead contracts on the books. We built around a rotten core and stayed above .500. Is that what you want? The one thing we did was build our farm. We didn’t deal any prospect of value from 13-16. We added tons of prospects in that time. It paid off. I’d have rather lost 90 games from 13-16 and gotten better picks and have rather dealt off even more.

You’re way off. Two QO FAs in McCann and Ellsbury. We signed Beltran, who wasn’t eligible for a QO and we signed Tanaka.

We spent to stay mediocre. We made no major prospect trades. The biggest names we dealt as prospects were Rookie Davis, Eric Jagielo and Yangervis Solarte. Not exactly a who’s who of prospects. This is how we stayed competitive. We had dead contracts on the books. We built around a rotten core and stayed above .500. Is that what you want? The one thing we did was build our farm. We didn’t deal any prospect of value from 13-16. We added tons of prospects in that time. It paid off. I’d have rather lost 90 games from 13-16 and gotten better picks and have rather dealt off even more.
    Yes, Beltran was a QO, and so was Kuroda, who you re-signed. That's 4 (Ellsbury & McCann). Tanaka was not a QO. That's 5 major signings. That's either rebuilding by free agency or it's not a rebuild like you have been expounding.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014-...m-19__status-1

You guys thought you could win after these massive signings. It was NOT the rebuild plan you are saying the Sox should do, right? So, cross off one year from your 4 year rebuild claim. Maybe cross off more from what you read next.

You added the vast majority of prospects via trade in a very short window- not over 4 years. I'm not an expert on Yankee trades, but I recall their big fire sale was not spread over 4 or even 3 years. Almost all were within a year or 1.5 years. Right?

And, stop with the "Is that what you want?" You know my position is to trade deadwood and free agents to be. This is not about us needing to have some sort of fire sale. We agree on that.

Our argument is about quick rebuilds and turn arounds. The Sox did it twice: the Dodger dump which led to a ring the very next year and the 2014 pitcher dump which led to 3 division titles in a row less than 1.5 years later. You never responded to these examples.

Beltran was not a QO. He couldn’t be a QO, he was dealt to SF midseason. And we resigned Kuroda, so cmon now, that’s a guy on the roster

Deity
    Beltran was not a QO. He couldn’t be a QO, he was dealt to SF midseason. And we resigned Kuroda, so cmon now, that’s a guy on the roster
    Beltran was dealt midseason to the Giants 3 years before the Yankees signed him. He was with the Cardinals for two full seasons before signing with the Yankees.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...beltrca01.shtm

And he did receive a QO from St. Louis.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/...ng-offers.html

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Beltran was dealt midseason to the Giants 3 years before the Yankees signed him. He was with the Cardinals for two full seasons before signing with the Yankees.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...beltrca01.shtm

And he did receive a QO from St. Louis.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/...ng-offers.html
    I think he's stretched out a 1 year rebuild into 4 years and messed up some years and facts.

So, we should re-sign Porcello as part of a rebuild?

Signing Kuroda and 4 other big names was an attempt to win not to rebuild. Why can't you just admit it.

In the winter of 14-15, the Yanks signed Miller to the biggest non closer deal in MLB history. They also signed Headley.

$88M on 2 guys. One could view them as part of a rebuild, but it's not part of a don't be mediocre plan during the rebuild, you're trying to peddle on us.

I may be mistaken, but I remember the bulk of the fire sale occured in 2016 and not over a 4 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    So, we should re-sign Porcello as part of a rebuild?

Signing Kuroda and 4 other big names was an attempt to win not to rebuild. Why can't you just admit it.
    I think there is a miscommunication between you and I.

I wanted the Yanks to blow it up in 2013, but they clearly didnt. Yes, they spent big to try to stay competitive, but starting in 2013, they stopped dealing young talent for veterans. This allowed them to build. Yes, they spent a lot of money, but they no longer dealt away long term talent for short term players. By stopping the outflow of prospects, they were able to build a very strong farm led by Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Andujar, etc. When they finally blew it up, their farm was there, ready to provide big league talent. The timing was impeccable and we actually got better.

The reason why I am making the comparison is that the Yanks had tons of money on the docket with a lot of the money paid to players no longer performing well, and their team building strategy was almost entirely by FA signings. This led them down the path to further financial obligation with rather minimal improvement. This was also in a different time. There was no draft pick compensation for going over the threshold by any amount, so all the penalty entailed was money. The sox are currently similar to the 2013 Yanks. Keep adding money and all you're gonna see is marginal improvement with pretty high stakes penalties.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    So is this team looking to compete next year or what? Yankees have everything in front of them to win a championship. The Sox are not a small market team.