Register now to remove this ad

Page 213 of 371 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,195 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

Thanks for elaborating, notin and moon. The only thing I can say about those guys who do this for a living: a lot of them are privy to insider info that never gets divulged to the posters. So even though some of their trade proposals are just like ours -- throwing half-cooked pasta against a wall -- we also have to consider there are some facts behind their rumors.

No matter what one thinks of Shaughnessy, when he says he's sensing a "bridge year" -- like he did today -- we need to take heed (and hope not). He's the guy, after all, who predicted Dombro was a goner, a month before the axe fell...
    Last edited by 5GoldGloves:OF,75; 12-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Thanks for elaborating, notin and moon. The only thing I can say about those guys who do this for a living: a lot of them are privy to insider info that never gets divulged to the posters. So even though some of their trade proposals are just like ours -- throwing half-cooked pasta against a wall -- we also have to consider there are some facts behind their rumors.

No matter what one thinks of Shaughnessy, when he says he's sensing a "bridge year" -- like he did today -- we need to take heed (and hope not). He's the guy, after all, who predicted Dombro was a goner, a month before the axe fell...
    It's all good 5GG.

That trade site isn't supposed to be used to evaluate who is better. It's about trade value, which includes alot of things beyond skilllevel.

I'm not a big Shaughnessy fan,but I do agree this could very well turn into a "bridge year," but many felt like 2013 was a bridge year.

(I thought dumping DD was the right thing very early,too.)

Sox 4 Ever

Pineda is signing with the Twins for $20M/2. Wheeler just signed for $118/5.

Makes men wonder,if there are any bargain deals out therefor SP'ers.

What will Porcello make?

2017-2019
    WAR Pitcher (IP)
    9.2 Wheeler (464)
    6.9 T Roark(527)
    6.2 Porcello (569)
    4.6 Cashner (470
    4.5 J Chacin (476)
    4.2 W Miley (405)
    3.6 Pineda (242)
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    That skankees pitching staff will look ridiculous with cole. God damn yankees! Everyone else will be doormats in the al east next.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    That skankees pitching staff will look ridiculous with cole. God damn yankees! Everyone else will be doormats in the al east next.
    You're joking, right? What other good starter do they have? Plus, who knows if Cole can pitch in NY? In addition, they don't have him yet. Boras may just be using them to get a bigger contract from a team he really wants to go to.

If the braves had Mookie, they would be World Series favorites.

Question is, will they push all their chips to the middle of the table and do whatever it takes to get him?

Tanaka: done, Paxton: Sucks, Severino: hurt, German: hurt, Clemens: retired,

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    That 76-85 Seattle team in 1998 featured three Hall of Famers in Ken Griffey Jr., Edgar Martinez and Randy Johnson (plus Alex Rodriguez with Hall of Fame numbers).

Here is your box score:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99809020.shtml
    Oh wow, you found it! Awesome. That's right, Buhner hit a home run, as did Mike Benjamin of all people.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Pineda is signing with the Twins for $20M/2. Wheeler just signed for $118/5.

Makes men wonder,if there are any bargain deals out therefor SP'ers.

What will Porcello make?

2017-2019
    WAR Pitcher (IP)
    9.2 Wheeler (464)
    6.9 T Roark(527)
    6.2 Porcello (569)
    4.6 Cashner (470
    4.5 J Chacin (476)
    4.2 W Miley (405)
    3.6 Pineda (242)
    Maybe that logic will make Price (3 years $96mill) look like a good trade target?
    Last edited by notin; 12-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Tanaka: done, Paxton: Sucks, Severino: hurt, German: hurt, Clemens: retired,
    You’re an idiot, wow

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You’re an idiot, wow
    Look in the mirror pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Look in the mirror pal.
    Lol, for a troll, you do amuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Maybe because as Red Sox fans, we are a bit spoiled by our excessive budget? If it means anything, Dave Dombrowski clearly shares your view about the trade value of minor leaguers. And he has used it to build several successful teams.

If the Sox deal away a prospect who works out elsewhere, they can fill the void with an expensive free agent. Bye bye Kopech and Buttrey. Hello, Eovaldi and Kimbrel. But not every team can do this. Think Pittsburgh misses Austin Meadows and Tyler Glasnow? How are they going to replace them? (Probably by dealing Starling Marte.) For some teams, those non-major leaguers are essential components of the future, and when they don't work out, bad things happen. But when you have a budget, that is a necessary risk.
    Drawing a line between Kopech and Eovaldi is kind of dicey. Kopech has thrown 14 MLB innings and had TJS surgery and is still something of an unknown quantity.

The trade the Pirates made for Archer was just flat-out idiotic.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Maybe that logic will make Price (3 years $96mill) look like a good trade target?
    I do think Price has more value than many give to him. Sure, he's not worth $96M/3, but he'd probably get $42-48M/3 on this current open market.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I do think Price has more value than many give to him. Sure, he's not worth $96M/3, but he'd probably get $42-48M/3 on this current open market.
    That's about minus 50 million, which I think matches what the trade simulator says.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.