Register now to remove this ad

Page 315 of 371 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325365 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 5552

Thread: A Realistic View at 2020: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    has all the makings of a sig bet....
    The last bet I made was with Kimmi and she disappeared soon after. I don't want to do that to the #3 ranked TalkSox member.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

DP will only go 4 in his first start. He will be on a pitch count so that should eliminate the QS.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    DP will only go 4 in his first start. He will be on a pitch count so that should eliminate the QS.
    You guys are no fun sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You guys are no fun sometimes.
    Still a lot better than not making the start.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Some buzz that the Sox may be close to re-signing Moreland - for substantially less than his previous salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Some buzz that the Sox may be close to re-signing Moreland - for substantially less than his previous salary.
    $2 or 3 million maybe for the elusive LH bat at 1B ? You would think that platooning you could get a full year out of Mitch but at whatever salary , he struggles to get in 4 months out of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    $2 or 3 million maybe for the elusive LH bat at 1B ? You would think that platooning you could get a full year out of Mitch but at whatever salary , he struggles to get in 4 months out of 6.
    It's the time of year for hope though.

It's the time of year for hope though.
    Good point. Hope is never a game plan or good strategy but it does make you wonder if 2020 could turn out to be a laugher. Here's why--
    1. Mookie is here it seems and in his walk year trying to justify the mucho millions he will get in 2021
    2. We have a great defensive CF'er to chase flyballs
    3. Our LF'er is less bulky (read Phat) and more athletic than last year.
    4. We have one hell of a DH
    5. Our 3bman, SS and catcher are entering their prime career years and are under contract or control.
    6. There is always the very rare chance that somehow Price, Sale and Eovaldi actually can pitch into summer. And Erod should also be entering a mature phase , building off 2019.
    7. Bullpen, well just be hopeful Workman has a rubber arm.

They won't know what pitch is coming, but these individuals are not incapable of being successful over a several month period, like right up to the trade deadline.

In!

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Good point. Hope is never a game plan or good strategy but it does make you wonder if 2020 could turn out to be a laugher. Here's why--
    1. Mookie is here it seems and in his walk year trying to justify the mucho millions he will get in 2021
    2. We have a great defensive CF'er to chase flyballs
    3. Our LF'er is less bulky (read Phat) and more athletic than last year.
    4. We have one hell of a DH
    5. Our 3bman, SS and catcher are entering their prime career years and are under contract or control.
    6. There is always the very rare chance that somehow Price, Sale and Eovaldi actually can pitch into summer. And Erod should also be entering a mature phase , building off 2019.
    7. Bullpen, well just be hopeful Workman has a rubber arm.

They won't know what pitch is coming, but these individuals are not incapable of being successful over a several month period, like right up to the trade deadline.
    [B]Good points. Maybe someday I will get some optimism about 2020. I've never felt or said we have no chance at competing. We have too many really good to great players to think we have no chance, but to me, we need too much to go right for the chances to be realistic. (I'm one who do not agree with the position that 2013 was a year of career outliers. However, I pretty much wrote us off before the 2013 season began.)

Here's a break down of the 2020 Sox:

Vaz: This guy has been so up and down, it's hard to project anything. .735 and .798 in 2017 & 2019 but .585 and .540 in 2016 & 2018. Should we expect .690, his career OPS? He's only been within 100 points of.690 once his whole career. What concerns me most about Vaz is his defense and how poorly he seems to do with getting the most out of our pitchers.

Plawecki: Apparently, he's good with pitchers, but the .636 career OPS (.629 in 2019) doesn't look much different than Leon.

Chavis (1B): I guess I just don't share the optimism on this guy. While his .766 rookie season looks very nice, it was largely fueled by a red hot start. Once pitchers figured him out, he struggled mightily. (.986 in first 22 games/ .696 in last 73 games)

Peraza (2B): It's hard to get optimistic with a guy who hit .631 last year and has a .686 career. Chavis at 2B might give better offense, but who plays 1B? Dalbec?

Bogaerts (SS): Coming off a career year. I'm pumped up on Bogey.

Devers (3B): Came into his own in 2019. Super excited here!

Benintendi (LF): Not as extreme as Vaz, but has been up and down over his 4 seasons- almost to a perfect relationship: .835>.776>.830>.774. I'm hopeful Beni can have a bust out season, but another .775 type season is certainly possible.

JBJ (CF): His recent career has been inspected and dissected to an extreme. He has been plagued by horrific slumps to start off his last 3 seasons. He's done well the rest of the seasons, and his defense is still strong.

Betts (RF): I'm hoping he retires in a Sox uniform. It's his "walk year," so maybe he will outshine 2018's numbers. Maybe.

Martinez (DH): This guy has been a light out hitter for several years in a row.

All-in-all, our offense should be top 4 or 5, barring any trades.

The pitching is almost impossible to project. ERod, Workman, Walden & Taylor had career years in 2019. Will they repeat, improve or decline? Only ERod seems like a near sure bet. Price, Sale & Eovaldi are the keys to winning (or losing) in 2020. Nobody knows how healthy they will be, and even if they are all never miss a start, how good they will be is somewhat questionable. Barnes and Hembree failed to impress in 2019 but offer some hope. DHern had an off the charts K rate (16.9), but his BB rate was eye-opening as well (7.7). I'm hopeful he improves, but who knows? Perez replacing Porcello is not too exciting.

All-in-all, the pitching staff is highly questionable, at best.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Padres and Sox talking Betts????

Makes sense. Lots to talk about.

I am calling BS on the Betts to Padres rumor.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am calling BS on the Betts to Padres rumor.
    I can't see it, either.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

All-Star
    Yeah, sorry, but this is absurd, unless Bloom is smoking the shroom:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...h-red-sox.html

"The main stumbling block in trade talks is how much of Myers’ contract the Red Sox would be covering,*Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune*reports, as the Padres want Boston’s obligation “to be much closer to the full value of the contract.”* The prospects reportedly being discussed in the trade aren’t any of San Diego’s “top five minor leaguers,” which would mean the likes of Gore or Patino aren’t involved."

Yuck