Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Game Thread Twins facing the World Champions Red Sox Wed. 9-4-19

Workman's giving the SOX BP a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Vazquez sucks as a Catcher. Called a Pitch and missed it. haha Didn't even get his glove there. He knew the Pitch.
    He's gonna have to pay for that clicker.

Legend
    I'm going to take this back, he looked good with E-Rod, lost it with D Hernandez, as a Catcher.

Deity
    Repeating something here not so I can say "I called it" or "I told ya' so" but because some of you guys should think all the way back to when I said in a game thread that ERod is finally "throwing like a grown assed man" mainly due to having elevated his Change such that it went flying past his Slider like it was standing still. Many of you appeared to have thought at the time that Jung has finally gone entirely around the bend.

So I want some of you guys that are watching as many games as I am watching and those not quite watching as many of them to think back all those months ago and think about what you are NOT seeing or NOT watching in these broadcasts. For some others, get your noses out of the stat sheets and the spreadsheets and the advanced stat sheets and actually WATCH THE GAMES, watch the players in the games! Stats are great but a poor substitute for watching games, watching players, watching players between pitches, pre-pitch, after the ball is thrown, after the ball is struck or not. Pay particular attention to EVERYTHING and I do mean everything that happens from the point that the Pitcher toes the rubber to the point where a play ends and time is called allowing everybody to reset. In fact, pay attention to what happens while time is out as well.

If you really want to help this game forward complain to Holy Hell about the amount of time hitters take picking at themselves and gesticulating toward the heavens and setting up nature trails around home plate instead of STANDING IN THE BOX. Hitters used to be able to process what the pitcher just threw and calculate what they should be looking for next in a matter of seconds, prepare for it and hit it (saints be praised....seems like a miracle now). Further, I have no clear idea what hitters are doing outside the box after an uncontested ball or strike call that they deemed unworthy of a swing. I was a hitter and I still don't get it.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD ARE THEY DOING? I ask that question because whatever communication with the cosmos or dead ancestors they are engaged in, it rarely results in any recognition of the count or the game circumstance or the pitcher or ANYTHING for that matter because regardless of any of that they ultimately just swing out of their shoelaces AGAIN just like every count is 2-1 and every circumstance requires that they knock the ball to the moon! The games are too long for their own good.....wayyyyyyy too long for their own good. Hitters staying in the box will encourage pitchers to toe the rubber and PITCH.

Rant over....you may resume normal viewing.....We the true believers in this great game "relinquish control allowing you to return to regular programming"......FOR NOW! Stole that last one from the original "The Outer Limits" TV series.
    Last edited by jung; 09-05-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes and before, when it counted.

It's hard to criticize someone who just went over .900 and plays great D, but he isn't the same Betts as 2018- not really close.
    Apparently it's not that hard at all.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

So I want some of you guys that are watching as many games as I am watching and those not quite watching as many of them to think back all those months ago and think about what you are NOT seeing or NOT watching in these broadcasts. For some others, get your noses out of the stat sheets and the spreadsheets and the advanced stat sheets and actually WATCH THE GAMES, watch the players in the games!

With all due respect, this is total crap.

I'm tired of this shit.

I love stats.

I've played this great game for decades.

I've watched every pitch of every Sox game for decades.

Some people can be "stat heads" AND watch and understand the beauty and nuances of the greatest game on earth. It's not an either or choice. Maybe for you, but not for everyone.

I've been a huge fan of ERod's since we traded for him. He's a winner. The nibbling and pitch counts can get frustrating, but I'va always said "He's got some of the nastiest stuff on our staff!" That's not from some stat sheet or data mine, although those confirm what my eyes have seen.

People keep saying us stat geeks are condescending, and maybe we are sometimes, but it goes both ways. Saying this crap only hurts your argument....which, in this case, I actually agree with some of it.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    On OUR staff he is the ace. I doubt many other teams would look at a guy with an ERA of nearly 4 (3.97) as ace material.
    E-Rod would be the #1 on a lot of teams with his numbers, and the #2 on a bunch of others.

An ERA of 3.81 might not look that flashy in Old School terms, but you also have to look at the following facts:

1) The overall ERA in MLB this year is 4.52.
    2) He pitches half his games in Fenway, which as always has a Park Factor of over 105 favoring offense.
    3) His ERA+ is now 128.
    4) He's now 7th in the AL in innings pitched.

Out of 108 starters with 100+ IP in MLB, here's how our starters rank in...

ERA-
    28. ERod (79)
    43. Price (88)
    53. Sale (91)
    58. Cashner (95 mostly with another team)
    99. Porcello (116)

xFIP
    3. Sale 2.94
    21. Price 3.74
    46. ERod 4.31
    105. Porcello 5.41

ERod may not be high on these two lists, but he's a winner. He keeps us in games more than anyone else.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Repeating something here not so I can say "I called it" or "I told ya' so" but because some of you guys should think all the way back to when I said in a game thread that ERod is finally "throwing like a grown assed man" mainly due to having elevated his Change such that it went flying past his Slider like it was standing still. Many of you appeared to have thought at the time that Jung has finally gone entirely around the bend.

So I want some of you guys that are watching as many games as I am watching and those not quite watching as many of them to think back all those months ago and think about what you are NOT seeing or NOT watching in these broadcasts. For some others, get your noses out of the stat sheets and the spreadsheets and the advanced stat sheets and actually WATCH THE GAMES, watch the players in the games! Stats are great but a poor substitute for watching games, watching players, watching players between pitches, pre-pitch, after the ball is thrown, after the ball is struck or not. Pay particular attention to EVERYTHING and I do mean everything that happens from the point that the Pitcher toes the rubber to the point where a play ends and time is called allowing everybody to reset. In fact, pay attention to what happens while time is out as well.

If you really want to help this game forward complain to Holy Hell about the amount of time hitters take picking at themselves and gesticulating toward the heavens and setting up nature trails around home plate instead of STANDING IN THE BOX. Hitters used to be able to process what the pitcher just threw and calculate what they should be looking for next in a matter of seconds, prepare for it and hit it (saints be praised....seems like a miracle now). Further, I have no clear idea what hitters are doing outside the box after an uncontested ball or strike call that they deemed unworthy of a swing. I was a hitter and I still don't get it.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD ARE THEY DOING? I ask that question because whatever communication with the cosmos or dead ancestors they are engaged in, it rarely results in any recognition of the count or the game circumstance or the pitcher or ANYTHING for that matter because regardless of any of that they ultimately just swing out of their shoelaces AGAIN just like every count is 2-1 and every circumstance requires that they knock the ball to the moon! The games are too long for their own good.....wayyyyyyy too long for their own good. Hitters staying in the box will encourage pitchers to toe the rubber and PITCH.

Rant over....you may resume normal viewing.....We the true believers in this great game "relinquish control allowing you to return to regular programming"......FOR NOW! Stole that last one from the original "The Outer Limits" TV series.
    Oh why go into the disclaimer? 25% of the posts on this board are t say "I told you so" and many with the attitude that some of us even have influence with the front office.

Come join us...

So can E Rod start every game or not?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    So can E Rod start every game or not?
    Sure, but then when we play Houston we have to face Verlander every game.

You can see where I'm goin' with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Hmmmm.... True

Well here's hoping the Sox win this series tonight. I'll be watching the Pack/Bears game

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

So you're saying there's a chance ?