Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a popular stance .Extend JBJ 3 years 21 million

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Vaz doesn't play every day, Travis is a marginal hitter, JBJ is streaky, going from awful to decent. Right now he is back to bad. When those guys are in the game we sacrafice 3 abs an inning. I'm for improving while cutting payroll everywhere possible. Our top 7 are as good as anyone's but they shouldn't have to carry all the load. We heard the same kind of arguments for the past few years. JBJ hasn't improved but his salary expectations have crept up.

I agree that the starting pitching is a key going forward and the BP could use a closer and maybe a couple of good arms. Hard to do that if we wind up offering JBJ a 3 year $21 mil contract, don't you think? I know you didn't suggest that but another did and it sounds like going in the wrong direction.
    No catcher is going to play more than 110-120 games, just nature of the beast. But the Vasquez we have this year - below average hitter but can hit some homeruns in juiced ball 2019 - is a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Vaz doesn't play every day, Travis is a marginal hitter, JBJ is streaky, going from awful to decent. Right now he is back to bad. When those guys are in the game we sacrafice 3 abs an inning. I'm for improving while cutting payroll everywhere possible. Our top 7 are as good as anyone's but they shouldn't have to carry all the load. We heard the same kind of arguments for the past few years. JBJ hasn't improved but his salary expectations have crept up.

I agree that the starting pitching is a key going forward and the BP could use a closer and maybe a couple of good arms. Hard to do that if we wind up offering JBJ a 3 year $21 mil contract, don't you think? I know you didn't suggest that but another did and it sounds like going in the wrong direction.
    Okay, Vaz "doesn't play everyday," but did you know he caught more innings than all but 6 MLB catchers? So, I'd hardly call our catcher position a black hole. Plus, because he was put in the line-up as a non catcher so often, he's 3rd in MLB in PAs among players that are primarily catchers (464 PAs). I'm calling him "everyday," because he bats more than 90% of MLB catchers.

I'm not for bringing JBJ back, but I'm not for paying to get a CF'er who can hit either. I'd take an excellent defender and a .600 OPS over an .800 guy who is an average fileder and will cost more than the $21/3 someone wants to offer JBJ.

Yes, Travis is a black hole. He's at .701 and falling. My guess is Dalbec, Ockimey, Chatham or even Lin can break the line-up over him, despite not being able to play OF. (Lin can.)

If we sign a cheap defensive CF, we'll have one black hole: CF, not 3.

I suppose 1B or 2B could become one, but with 3-4 choices at each position, my guess is we can end up with 2 guys or a platoon that hits .750+ at each slot.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    No catcher is going to play more than 110-120 games, just nature of the beast. But the Vasquez we have this year - below average hitter but can hit some homeruns in juiced ball 2019 - is a good player.
    He may be a below average hitter, but not a below average hitting catcher.

Out of 31 catchers with 250+ PAs Vaz places 11th in OPS.

3 year sample size?

Vaz is 19th in OPS at .700, but some of the guys ahead of him don't play much Catcher anymore or are close to retiring.

He's average.

I keep telling you that JBJ is coming back. DD & I sat in the same class: Building a Team 101. Be as solid as you can up the middle even if it means one of those guys has to bat 9th.

Also, signing JBJ to a two year contract guarantees that the Sox won't be without both of their premier outfielders in 2021.

He'll be back. Book it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I keep telling you that JBJ is coming back. DD & I sat in the same class: Building a Team 101. Be as solid as you can up the middle even if it means one of those guys has to bat 9th.

Also, signing JBJ to a two year contract guarantees that the Sox won't be without both of their premier outfielders in 2021.

He'll be back. Book it.
    Again, JBJ is not the only solid defensive CF'er available this winter.

If we don't reset, he may be back.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Again, JBJ is not the only solid defensive CF'er available this winter.

If we don't reset, he may be back.
    Name them.
    other names i have posted under: none

We can just go to the elite defense gold glove centerfielder forest and pluck one from the tree Or something something

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    We can just go to the elite defense gold glove centerfielder forest and pluck one from the tree Or something something
    Think Juan Lagares will cost less in free agency than Bradley will in arbitration? What about Cameron Maybin? Billy Hamilton? Jarrod Dyson? Peter Bourjos? Austin Jackson?

These are just free agent options. There may be others available via trade.

If the goal is solely to save money (for a luxury tax penalty reset?), the Sox might wind up with a lesser all-around player in CF, but some of those players are still good defenders. Or are we going to continue to pretend we live in a world where JBJ is the only player in MLB history who could play defense in CF?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Name them.
    We've named them dozens of times.

We've named them dozens of times.
    You kind of upped the ante with 'dirt cheap super defensive CF'er'.

The list can only be made up of guys who are available, dirt cheap and super defenders.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

He'll be back. Book it.
    Post DD's firing now....

I'm the immortal words of Emily Littella.... "Never mind".
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

The list can only be made up of guys who are available, dirt cheap and super defenders.
    Okay, it may be short list, but that depends on what you think "dirt cheap" means. With JBJ slated to make $9.5 to 11M, the context may up what we consider "dirt cheap."

Billy Hamilton should be very cheap.

Jarrod Dyson is 35 and could be a nice bridge player for peanuts.

notin mentioned others.

Okay, it may be short list, but that depends on what you think "dirt cheap" means. With JBJ slated to make $9.5 to 11M, the context may up what we consider "dirt cheap."

Billy Hamilton should be very cheap.

Jarrod Dyson is 35 and could be a nice bridge player for peanuts.

notin mentioned others.
    And I'm not trying to be a pain the ass about it, but it would be cool to see a list of available guys with:

1) Estimated 2020 salary.
    2) 2019 UZR/150 or some other defensive rating.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

With DD going out the door, this thread is moot. No more money will be thrown at JBJ. He is a goner
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

thank you.