Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I really don't think it's that complicated. They didn't think he was the guy for what needs to be done next.
    Exactly. DD is the win now guy. If the answer to the current situation right now is a rebuild, he isn't your guy. I do think the timing was on DD, and I think some semblance of what Gammons said is true. DD went to Henry and asked what his status was heading into a lame duck year. He likely didn't get the response he wanted and they decided to part ways. DD saw the writing on the wall and likely didn't want to waste his time
    Hal sucks

John Bolton is now available.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I really don't think it's that complicated. They didn't think he was the guy for what needs to be done next.
    plus he apparently didnt play nice with the other honchos. didnt really give them much of a reason to not fire him.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    plus he apparently didnt play nice with the other honchos. didnt really give them much of a reason to not fire him.
    Sounds that way.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    And he wrote the final season to "Game of Thrones"...

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    How about Roose Bolton?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Great. The Sox can go to war with the United Nations...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    How about Roose Bolton?
    Nice combining it with my Game of Thrones joke...

So if it wasn't for DD, we would have won the whole thing again?

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay then! Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So if it wasn't for DD, we would have won the whole thing again?

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay then! Problem solved.
    Somehow I don't think anybody said that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    While you may be correct, I do think the subject of the manager and coaching staff will be a major question to whomever is interviewed for Dombrowski's old job. Remember DD didn't fire Farrell immediately when he was first hired. I suspect whomever is eventually hired will be allowed some discretion as to the manager and coaching staff as was allowed Dombrowski.
    I would guess Cora stays but the coaches get some reshuffling. Levangie has to be under a hot microscope. Don't know the relationships between players and the coaches. A few key players (Bogey, Devers, Martinez) could influence it. I think Cora will get one year to see if about 70% of the 40 man roster ( 28 of 40)being carried over can be remotivated. So much now depends on off season trades, maybe one or two FA's max, and arbitration award amounts vs tax.

Deity
    Somehow I don't think anybody said that.
    I'll say it.

If it wasn't for DD the Red Sox would win the World Series. Also, if not for DD, the Bruins would have won the Stanley Cup, Gary Johnson would have won the 2016 Presidential election, and Tyrion would have been named King of Westeros.

I think that sums it up...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Sounds like some sort of honorary thing.

I think Lucchino gets a bad rap on message boards as some guy who knows nothing about baseball, but he is a career sports exectuive with World Series rings and a Super Bowl ring and a Final Four championship under his belt. He knws what he is doing.

But I don't know if stepping down was his idea or not. Why do so mid-season? And was it a "lucky break" for the Sox that the Tigers had recently fired his replacement?
    He may have been experienced across multiple sports but he was an arrogant prick pain in the ass who finally irritated JH one too many times. The Pawsox was his going away gift. This from an insider who knew him well, a few years ago.

In the moment of a beat down by the Yankees happening in front of them DD may have pushed the button too hard on his own situation (extension) at which time someone in ownership said, "What about this shit performance and where's all your big time contract players?" DD , with a lot of built up frustration over this season, said " Fuck you too". After a quiet moment JH said, get your things together tonight because we are done. Whatever, you have seen it in business and marriages as well, I suspect. The long slow simmer building up to the eruption.

Deity
    Rumors abound that DD had another possible iron in the fire and wanted to know where he stood with ownership.

The situation was entirely untenable whether DD had another iron in the fire or not. DD would have been a lame duck in 2020. That would not do and I seriously doubt DD would have accepted a one year extension. I seriously doubt Henry would have offered it.

"Pressing me for an answer DD? Here's your answer."

Henry needs to make a statement though. Apparently Cora has been told he is staying and the team has been told that Cora will continue to be the Manager beyond this year. But Henry has some splainin' to do and avoiding the media ain't gonna' get it done.

The only way they can continue to stonewall the media would be to announce a new Pres of Ops immediately and then address all the questions in light of knowing the identity of the new guy. 4 guys named as having control (the current situation) is laughably absurd and won't hold for a nanosecond.