Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 505

Thread: Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

  1. #16
    This also puts Cora on notice. The Sox will open a GM search and any time a GM comes on with a manager they didnít pick, it leads to a potentially dicey relationship

  2. #17
    Deity
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,653
    It will be interesting to see the projected list of candidates for the job and the ultimate choice. We could find out a good deal about Henry's thinking from who he picks for the job.

    Given the way DD was dispatched, I would be surprised if the winning ticket was punched from within the current Sox operation.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    You really need to learn the value of an unexpressed thought.
    I found this comment hilarious. You made my day.

  4. #19
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    28,425
    What's surprising?

    You give a guy a full farm, a top spending budget every year and a solid core of stars to begin with.

    The one ring was great, and I'm super grateful, but the state of the Sox, right now, as we are still the top spending team is in decline with our farm ranked last and our budget issues not going away.

    The timing surprised me, but if the rebuild is to begin, why not give the next guy a head start?
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #20
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    22,747
    I'm not surprised at all.

    When I read Shaughnessy's comments about the situation they had the ring of truth.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  6. #21
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,275
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    1. Validates Shauhnessy? 2 months ago? Donít you read my stuff? (Although interestingly enough, I did get mention in this thread prior to Shaughnessy, as it should be.)

    2. It could mean the end of Betts. But itís not a guarantee...
    Not a guarantee with Betts, but contrary to what I posted yesterday, it's probably the end of JBJ's tenure here.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  7. #22
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,275
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    You really need to learn the value of an unexpressed thought.
    It's times like this I wish this format had something to indicate an "upvote".
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  8. #23
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    28,425
    What will the next GM's framework be?

    To reset in 2020? (My guess is, YES!)

    To build a winner in 3-5 years while also strengthening the farm? (I hope, YES!)

    To totally blow it all up and start over? (I doubt it.)

    I'm hoping we get a GM that will surround himself with people that know how to build and develop a farm, especially pitching. Free agent signings are largely hit or miss or miss or miss, and not many GMs have a great track record of choosing correctly.

    We may not finish in last over the next 1-3 years, depending on how extreme the "rebuild" will be, so maybe it won't be called a "cliff," but clearly the :down time" is now upon us.

    Having an owner like Henry should make it a bit easier to get back to the top or near the top in just a few short years, but it will not be easy under the rules of today's game. The next GM will have very little room for mistakes in drafting, signing and hiring staff, especially on big ticket acquisitions.

    I'm thankful DD brought us 3 division wins and a ring, and the "win today" philosophy worked- thank God! It's now the day of reckoning, and it's time to pay for that philosophy. Many knew this day was coming. We were hopeful it wouldn't come so soon or so steep, but here it is.

    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #24
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,275
    IMO an injustice has been done here. I know that the Sox have had a much worse season than anticipated so someone has to pay the price but letting DD go now is a mistake. DD did exactly what a GM is supposed to do. He assembled a team that should and would be a WSC contender had it not been for the unforseen collapse of the top of the rotation.

    And please.. this collapse had nothing to do with the signing of Pearce over getting a couple of BP arms. If he'd signed Kimbrel, Chapman, AND Kenley Jansen it would have had nothing to do with the fact that Sale, Price and Porcillo sucked and gave up too many runs too early in the games.

    The path now isn't a pretty one. Some of these big contracts have to go - if they can be unloaded, and if they are unloaded the Sox are going to have to pick up part of the salaries. Nobody - except maybe Devers - on that team is safe now. There's going to be a reset of major proportions and many of those familiar names, those names who comprised one of the best offensive and defensive teams in baseball, are going to be gone.

    It looks to me like if you liked 2014 & 2015 you're going to LOVE 2020.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What will the next GM's framework be?

    To reset in 2020? (My guess is, YES!)

    To build a winner in 3-5 years while also strengthening the farm? (I hope, YES!)

    To totally blow it all up and start over? (I doubt it.)

    I'm hoping we get a GM that will surround himself with people that know how to build and develop a farm, especially pitching. Free agent signings are largely hit or miss or miss or miss, and not many GMs have a great track record of choosing correctly.

    We may not finish in last over the next 1-3 years, depending on how extreme the "rebuild" will be, so maybe it won't be called a "cliff," but clearly the :down time" is now upon us.

    Having an owner like Henry should make it a bit easier to get back to the top or near the top in just a few short years, but it will not be easy under the rules of today's game. The next GM will have very little room for mistakes in drafting, signing and hiring staff, especially on big ticket acquisitions.

    I'm thankful DD brought us 3 division wins and a ring, and the "win today" philosophy worked- thank God! It's now the day of reckoning, and it's time to pay for that philosophy. Many knew this day was coming. We were hopeful it wouldn't come so soon or so steep, but here it is.

    It's not like we have nothing

    Our opening day lineup could be
    Betts, Devers, Xander, JD, Beni, Chavis, Vaz, Hernandez and JBJ (probably a long shot).....

    If healthy
    Price, Sale, Eovaldi, E Rod and someone not named Johnson.

  11. #26
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    22,747
    I actually think the timing of this was exactly right. JH shows again that he doesn't ness around.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  12. #27
    Legend S5Dewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    6,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's not like we have nothing

    Our opening day lineup could be
    Betts, Devers, Xander, JD, Beni, Chavis, Vaz, Hernandez and JBJ (probably a long shot).....

    If healthy
    Price, Sale, Eovaldi, E Rod and someone not named Johnson.
    I think that's wishful thinking. You're talking about essentially the same team as in 2019 with essentially the same salaries. If JH had wanted to do that he'd have kept DD.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  13. #28
    Legend Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Thanks go out to dd and now it's on to the next GM.. Where's Cherington when you need him? Let all of you condescending jackasses who know so much about the way it works and that would include the jackson ass from NY fame. I will do my thing as a fan for the next guy up.
    i agree with you about supporting the next guy but we will for sure pick him (or her) apart as best we can the second they are hired.
    i think they go with a young guy for the rebuild.
    someone with some fiscal responsibility (so def not a republican).
    do you believe in the cliff yet?
    other names i have posted under: none

  14. #29
    Legend Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by DontCallMeUncleRico View Post
    Really really surprising.

    Let it be known, you must win the world series every year if you want to keep your job. Yikes!
    well,,,,you do have to hit a HR every AB to be the starting CFer for the Red Sox too, amiright???
    other names i have posted under: none

  15. #30
    Legend Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Welcome to the rebuild
    awwwwwww....jackie-pooh didnt get to start this thread. that is what is truly shocking....
    other names i have posted under: none

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •