Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox have fired GM Dave Dombrowski

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    awwwwwww....jackie-pooh didnt get to start this thread. that is what is truly shocking....
    I was at work, otherwise I would have!

Deity
    The fact that Pearce did not lose us this year would not change the owner's perception of the common sense of the Pres of Baseball Ops signing his two WS binkies, one which was signed for too much and one that should not have been signed at all who then showed up the very description of fat, dumb and happy.

But while I don't blame the 3 signings entirely for DD's ouster, they are part of it surely.

Again, he was ousted...tossed out on his rear. Whether we like it or not Henry was not happy and it takes something extra special for Henry to make such a public statement about his displeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This isn’t about the Sox not making the POs this year. This is about the extensions and the money spent and not making the POs. If DD said to Henry, hey, we might take a step back this year. Let’s add to the pen, let Eovaldi walk, let Sale play out his contract and scale back a bit, he’s still in the GM chair. But he hasn’t learned from his history. He had some damn good Detroit teams, but he gets enamored with his teams and ends up extending them stupidly beyond their usefulness. He left a wretched mess in Detroit and it’s heading that way here. I think Henry is smart enough to know that they have to rebuild while they have pieces that will get a return rather than pay their guys top dollar again. This absolutely means Mookie gets moved, IMO. And it also validates Shaughnessy who called this two months ago
    you dont know what the fuck you are talking about. this is 100% about the Sox not making the PO's this year.
    the Sox make the 2019 postseason and DD still has a job. but whatever. you are a doctor and NOT a troll so you know all things red sox
    other names i have posted under: none

This also puts Cora on notice. The Sox will open a GM search and any time a GM comes on with a manager they didn’t pick, it leads to a potentially dicey relationship
    agreed 100%.

I was at work, otherwise I would have!
    What was it someone else said about the value of an unexpressed thought?

No... not a troll at all.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Seeing as my prediction skills have been top notch of late, I’ll give you a synopsis

Henry, at the press conference, will thank DD for his 3 year run of success and awful year this year. He will use the term “bridge years” coming up with a heavy emphasis on building “depth” (read as prospects). He will then go on a GM search and grab a guy who is known to build farm systems.

The Sox will sell off parts that are popular leading to backlash from the fans. Those die hards will understand. Those pink hats won’t. The revenue will fall off, but he will actually be helping the long term health of the team. It will take 3 years to rebuild the farm, but the fire sales of Mookie and ERod will help. Just when the farm is back in good shape, he will open the wallet and give his “build” GM a year to get on top. If they fail, he’ll bring in the next Dombrowski type to rise again

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    IMO an injustice has been done here. I know that the Sox have had a much worse season than anticipated so someone has to pay the price but letting DD go now is a mistake. DD did exactly what a GM is supposed to do. He assembled a team that should and would be a WSC contender had it not been for the unforseen collapse of the top of the rotation.

And please.. this collapse had nothing to do with the signing of Pearce over getting a couple of BP arms. If he'd signed Kimbrel, Chapman, AND Kenley Jansen it would have had nothing to do with the fact that Sale, Price and Porcillo sucked and gave up too many runs too early in the games.

The path now isn't a pretty one. Some of these big contracts have to go - if they can be unloaded, and if they are unloaded the Sox are going to have to pick up part of the salaries. Nobody - except maybe Devers - on that team is safe now. There's going to be a reset of major proportions and many of those familiar names, those names who comprised one of the best offensive and defensive teams in baseball, are going to be gone.

It looks to me like if you liked 2014 & 2015 you're going to LOVE 2020.
    Agreed. He did exactly what he was paid to do. But I don't see how getting rid of him does anything to unload those salaries (and shouldn't Castillo be included here?) You can either pay them to give you mediocre performances and sit multiple games out on rehab, or you can pay them to do that for another team, since no one is likely to take on those salaries in full. Is it worth $20-30mil/year just to open up a roster spot for one of minor-league pitchers the RS have run out this year?

it's probably the end of JBJ's tenure here.

And just as an afterthought...

Do you think it's a coincidence that DD's firing took place on the same day the Pats opened their season?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Do you think it's a coincidence that DD's firing took place on the same day the Pats opened their season?
    Not at all. Henry is a calculated guy. This was probably coming for a month
    Hal sucks

Legend
    I expected something from Henry, he likes to try to make noise, especially everything up here in New England is the Patriots.

Legend

Good call. This story is not even that big up here, it's talked about, but nothing like you would think. Even the Talk Shows here don't talk about the Sox anymore.

How many days before the next ax falls.... anyone need a pitching coach, see ya Dana

Deity

Nope...calculated for effect. Henry right angles right into the next days heavily laden local Pats news with his own bombshell.

It looks to me like if you liked 2014 & 2015 you're going to LOVE 2020.
    great line my friend.