Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Mookie Betts: Trade or Extend

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Really well Said .
    Mookie is the one stuffing Henry's pockets with boatloads of cash while also driving the team's value up by tens of millions.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Congrats, Denny. On your most clueless post ever!!! I didn’t think you could do it, you know, since the premise of posts like that have been explained to you only about a million fucking times. But here you still are!!
    Congrats , Notin . On your most insulting and obnoxious post ever . And that is saying something .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Congrats , Notin . On your most insulting and obnoxious post ever . And that is saying something .
    It is. Thank you. That means a lot coming from you.

After all, it seems like you stopped talking about baseball a while ago and instead decided to focus on the content of other people’s posts. Whether you’re using the Nerdwell’s to denigrate them, or commenting that they must want to save Henry’s money, or calling them an “idiot with an audience and a keyboard”, or telling them they’re not subjective.

When did it stop being about baseball to you?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It is. Thank you. That means a lot coming from you.

After all, it seems like you stopped talking about baseball a while ago and instead decided to focus on the content of other people’s posts. Whether you’re using the Nerdwell’s to denigrate them, or commenting that they must want to save Henry’s money, or calling them an “idiot with an audience and a keyboard”, or telling them they’re not subjective.

When did it stop being about baseball to you?
    It's all baseball related . And my comment about bums ( not idiots ) with an audience and a keyboard was about the writer , Wittenmeyer and his hit piece on Theo Epstein . No reason for you to take it personally , unless you are , in fact , Wittenmeyer . My preference for old school thinking conflicts with the trendy analytics of today . That is where the fictional Nerdwell brothers come in . Again , no need to take it personally . It's all in fun . I do find it amusing that fans are concerned about the owners exceeding their self imposed luxury tax . And one thing I have absolutely no doubt about is that objectivity is pretty much dead . I have no problem with you , or anyone , disagreeing with anything I say . But the " clueless " thing is insulting . And I really don't need or want to have anything " explained " to me . I have been around the block many times .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    It's all baseball related . And my comment about bums ( not idiots ) with an audience and a keyboard was about the writer , Wittenmeyer and his hit piece on Theo Epstein . No reason for you to take it personally , unless you are , in fact , Wittenmeyer . My preference for old school thinking conflicts with the trendy analytics of today . That is where the fictional Nerdwell brothers come in . Again , no need to take it personally . It's all in fun . I do find it amusing that fans are concerned about the owners exceeding their self imposed luxury tax . And one thing I have absolutely no doubt about is that objectivity is pretty much dead . I have no problem with you , or anyone , disagreeing with anything I say . But the " clueless " thing is insulting . And I really don't need or want to have anything " explained " to me . I have been around the block many times .
    It’s tangentially related at best. For most of the season, it seems like your bigger concern is with Red Sox fans as opposed to Red Sox. You can say it’s all in fun all you want, but that doesn’t make any of it less true. Old school or new school is a matter of preference. But you spent the majority of the season in Poster Critic Mode, going so far as to say fans have no business talking about resets and WAR and other stats, and how fans like me are killing baseball. So should we all apologize to you for not liking the game the way you want us to?

If you don’t need anything explained to you, then I have no idea why you still get on people for “trying to save John Henry money.” Seriously. It’s a stupid comment. We all know how wealthy he is, but we also saw that the spending can and will stop at some point. Most of us did, anyway. Not sure why this was lost on you, or especially after two slow off-seasons followed by a slow trade deadline and a ton of stories about how DD was going fired and the spending was going to stop. Also the million or so posts in this board explaining that the spending does have limits. Did you miss those? Maybe you were out circling the block then?

(OK. I admit defeat. I think I would have to spend the entire week reviewing older posts to understand the nuances of this argument. I'm not even certain of the topic. But my incisive opinion: Mookie is a very good baseball player; he deserves to make a lot of money; I don't know how much.)

I think we have some rancor in the clubhouse. Hope it doesn't lead to a fight in the showers, which can be slippery wen wet

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Mookie is the one stuffing Henry's pockets with boatloads of cash while also driving the team's value up by tens of millions.
    Neither Mookie nor Henry are the bad guys.

Not sure why we need someone to be the bad guy.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    I think we have some rancor in the clubhouse.
    Based on what?

i'm not sure how many people on here are fortunate enough to be wealthy or have friends/acquaintances that are. there are many traits that these individuals share but 1 stands out. it is very very hard to separate wealthy individuals from their money.
    we have been blessed....BLESSED...with an owner that has been willing to spend...nay OVER spend...his money on player payroll. on top of the payroll he has paid an obscene amount of "tax" to MLB over the past few years for going over the LT threshold. he is basically giving his $$ away. dont kid yourself by thinking its Red Sox $$. its not. its john henry's money. if he decides he only wants a $100MM payroll...guess where that other $140MM goes? nowhere. it stays in John Henry's bank account. no doubt his wife gives him so much grief every year he "over spends" on a baseball team.
    as for Mr. Betts. who can begrudge a man from trying to earn as much of these billionaires money as possible? the boston red sox make a TON of cash selling #50 jerseys and tshirts. they use his likeness and name in advertising. come see the MVP. if an owner is willing to give mookie a $430MM contract i cannot blame him 1 bit for taking it. and that is what he will end up signing for.

owners are 1%ers because they are cutthroat/shrewd/insanely intelligent businessman/woman. they dont get there by giving $$ away.
    thank you John Henry for giving your $$ away and granting us 4 parades in the process. i honestly never thought i would see even 1 in my lifetime.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Neither Mookie nor Henry are the bad guys.

Not sure why we need someone to be the bad guy.
    I wasn't trying to imply Henry is a bad guy, but I do know he'll walk away with a heck of a lot more money then Mookie, when all is said and done.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I wasn't trying to imply Henry is a bad guy, but I do know he'll walk away with a heck of a lot more money then Mookie, when all is said and done.
    And my post wasn't really directed at you, it was just a general comment on the back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

owners are 1%ers because they are cutthroat/shrewd/insanely intelligent businessman/woman. they dont get there by giving $$ away.
    thank you John Henry for giving your $$ away and granting us 4 parades in the process. i honestly never thought i would see even 1 in my lifetime.
    I think we have plenty of evidence around us that "insanely intelligent" is not something that applies to 1%ers, or even that small sub-set of them who happen to own sports franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And my post wasn't really directed at you, it was just a general comment on the back and forth.
    I figured that's what you meant, but I wanted to highlight my support for Henry.

He's the best thing that ever happened to the Sox. There is no close second place.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I think we have plenty of evidence around us that "insanely intelligent" is not something that applies to 1%ers, or even that small sub-set of them who happen to own sports franchises.
    Most of the insanely wealthy are insanely intelligent, at least in some area(s).

(Note: Trump is a pretender 1%'er.)
    Sox 4 Ever