Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No draft pick Comp if Mookie is dealt at mid way deadline .Hes gone folks

No draft pick Comp if Mookie is dealt at mid way deadline .Hes gone folks

I just don’t see Mookie in a Redsox uniform for 2020 .Bloom has to cash in and then some he can’t be left holding the bag on this ....it will haunt his tenure in Boston .Folks let’s talk Packies on this Now .I want them to be realistic but don’t undersell the kid .Rumors of Texas and LA already started ...let’s think about some other teams also Pads come to mind and Dodgers Systems .There are no 1 for 1 on this unless he plays for the Brewers and Angels .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 11-06-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    I just don’t see Mookie in a Redsox uniform for 2020 .Bloom has to cash in and then some he can’t be left holding the bag on this ....it will haunt his tenure in Boston .Folks let’s talk Packies on this Now .I want them to be realistic but don’t undersell the kid .Rumors of Texas and LA already started ...let’s think about some other teams also Pads come to mind and Dodgers Systems .There are no 1 for 1 on this unless he plays for the Brewers and Angels .
    Trading him before the start of the year gets us a draft pick after the 4th round. Let's not pretend that's the straw that breaks the donkey's back.

We may want to see if we can win in 2020, and deal him to some desperate team in July. Keeping him does have value... probably more than a 4th round pick.

If trading him this winter instead of July brings us more back, that should be the choice. If we like an offer- take it. If we don't- wait.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Trading him before the start of the year gets us a draft pick after the 4th round. Let's not pretend that's the straw that breaks the donkey's back.

We may want to see if we can win in 2020, and deal him to some desperate team in July. Keeping him does have value... probably more than a 4th round pick.

If trading him this winter instead of July brings us more back, that should be the choice. If we like an offer- take it. If we don't- wait.

Moon come on that’s your heart talking buddy.I get it I want the guy in Boston as much as the rest I’m just thinking 300 million is a ship too far .Time is now if we want a layered I get this isn’t a popular view .Whitesox are one desperate team Moon don’t you think ? Pads also .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 11-06-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Moon come on that’s your heart talking buddy.I get it I want the guy in Boston as much as the rest I’m just thinking 300 million is a ship too far .Time is now if we want a layered I get this isn’t a popular view .Whitesox are one desperate team Moon don’t you think ? Pads also .
    I'm not against trading him. I'm also not sure we won't get him back after a trade.

I'm 50-50, right now, and that's without knowing what any offers are or might be.

My point was, the choice will not be made over a late 4th round comp pick.

Sox 4 Ever

"No baseball player is worth X amount of dollars" (fill in the blank)

Baseball fans have been using that phrase forever, but have been hearing it and reading it more and more since free agency. No ballplayer was worth $100 grand, then no player was worth $1 million, then $100 million?... and now, half a freakin billion? Dollars?

Numbers don't really matter when they're all relative to the current market. So... try to forget the numbers and just ask and answer yourself: is Mookie Betts worth a salary at the top of his market?

If your answer is yes -- and many fans, media and probably front offices agree -- then ante up, because no taxes saved or draft picks gained in this pseudo-salary cap that the union stupidly agreed to will ever land you another Mookie.

If your answer is no -- and there are plenty of folks of this opinion -- then take what you can get, knowing that it will never be anything close to the value of the best all-around Red Sox player since Yaz.

If Mookie is gone before 2020, I'm glad to have watched him spark the Sox into contention the past six years. But I'd much rather enjoy watching a batting champ/Gold Glove/MVP for one more season of possible glory... instead of replacement prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

Baseball fans have been using that phrase forever, but have been hearing it and reading it more and more since free agency. No ballplayer was worth $100 grand, then no player was worth $1 million, then $100 million?... and now, half a freakin billion? Dollars?

Numbers don't really matter when they're all relative to the current market. So... try to forget the numbers and just ask and answer yourself: is Mookie Betts worth a salary at the top of his market?

If your answer is yes -- and many fans, media and probably front offices agree -- then ante up, because no taxes saved or draft picks gained in this pseudo-salary cap that the union stupidly agreed to will ever land you another Mookie.

If your answer is no -- and there are plenty of folks of this opinion -- then take what you can get, knowing that it will never be anything close to the value of the best all-around Red Sox player since Yaz.

If Mookie is gone before 2020, I'm glad to have watched him spark the Sox into contention the past six years. But I'd much rather enjoy watching a batting champ/Gold Glove/MVP for one more season of possible glory... instead of replacement prospects.
    It’s Cliche for sure .I just happen to think in this specific case our Team won’t extend any player 10 plus years at 300 plus.I very well could be wrong and I humbly hope this is the case .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 11-06-2019 at 10:01 PM.

It’s Cliche for sure .I just happen to think in this specific case our Team won’t extend any player 10 plus years at 300 plus
    I know, a lot of fans and clubs don't want to be stuck with the years -- especially since at least the last 40% of most contracts are dead weight.

One recent trend seems to be offering a higher AAV at less years -- that's why I suggested 6 at 260; Mookie would be the highest paid player in history at $43.33 mil per, and then be a free agent again at 33...

Then if he's still producing -- and betting on himself like he always has -- he should have no problem getting another contract from someone else at, say, 4 for 140 -- which is another $35 mil per (which may be normal pay for a good player by 2027). When you add up both contracts, that's a cool 10 for 400...

Well said.

I get your point, but to me, getting nothing for Betts would really hamper our rebuild. That probably outweighs seeing him for one last year.
    Sox 4 Ever

Trade JD and Price. Keep Mookie at $30M.

Moon, if the sox get below the LT, then Betts' comp pick would be after the first round
    Hal sucks

Well said.

I get your point, but to me, getting nothing for Betts would really hamper our rebuild. That probably outweighs seeing him for one last year.
    If Henry really gives the reigns to Bloom, I would assume he is going to try and maximize return for expensive or short term assets. JD and Mookie would be high on that list. JD will be more complicated as he's getting potentially above-market value and he can shift his NTC to the 3 most likely teams to deal for him. Mookie is the guy who would return the most provided the team acquiring him is fine with giving away talent and paying $30 mil for a one year rental. Mookie might be the kind of asset Bloom is willing to ship cash with the absolutely maximize his return. Heck, could you imagine the return if he dealt with TB and offered to eat half the contract?
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Trade JD and Price. Keep Mookie at $30M.
    I suspect Price is untradeable. JD, maybe? I know the White Sox want him.

I agree with the last line. I would much rather see Mookie in a Sox unit one last year than see him traded for minor league filler.

Are you talking ML ready prospects? Otherwise I don’t think it outweighs another year of Mookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Foreman View Post
    Are you talking ML ready prospects? Otherwise I don’t think it outweighs another year of Mookie.
    Depends on what the team looks like. Would you be willing to have a goodbye tour for Mookie in a sox uni then lose him for a comp pick or would you rather deal him for some top prospects and get something more substantial? If the sox look good on paper going into 2020 then you ride with him, but they really don't right now. Lots would need to change for that to be the case
    Hal sucks