Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billie Beane time ???

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I've always been of the opinion that although the trade happened during the time Theo was oh his hiatus the trade still had his fingerprints all over it.
    Theo donned the gorilla suit on Halloween 2005 and Beckett & Lowell trade was signed on Thanksgiving Day. That's about a month, and trades like this don't happen quickly. There's due diligence to be done, etc. and it all takes time. Also, I have to think that there was some upheaval in the Sox FO early in November while they decided who was going to be doing what once Theo was gone.

So.. my opinion.. and just my opinion.. is that Theo laid the groundwork for the trade and had things in motion before he left. All that happened when Theo was gone was that the lame-duck FO followed up on the plan.

Consequently it's my belief that Theo should get more credit for the trade than he's getting.
    I thought it was Lucchino who made that move. And Theo later said he wouldn't have done it because he wanted to keep Hanley. But I could be wrong on both counts.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I thought it was Lucchino who made that move. And Theo later said he wouldn't have done it because he wanted to keep Hanley. But I could be wrong on both counts.
    I thought that trade was Hoyer and either Cherington or Byrnes...

Possible. I was following the timeline.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I thought that trade was Hoyer and either Cherington or Byrnes...
    But don't you think it had Larry's mitts all over it? I can't see Hoyer and Cherington deciding to make a blockbuster move like that shortly after the departure of Theo.

Deity
    But don't you think it had Larry's mitts all over it? I can't see Hoyer and Cherington deciding to make a blockbuster move like that shortly after the departure of Theo.
    I don't pretend to know what involvement if any Lucchino had in those types of operations.

If Lucchino was involved, then that is a point in his favor. While Hanley was making minimal effort to play defense in Miami and making enemies in the front office and dugout, Beckett was carrying the Sox through the 2007 ALCS.

And bear in mind, the original request from the Marlins wasn't Hanley and Sanchez. They originally wanted Pedroia and Lester. ..

I believe the odds of Billy Beane becoming the president of operations in Boston would be equal to Brad Pitt taking the job.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I believe the odds of Billy Beane becoming the president of operations in Boston would be equal to Brad Pitt taking the job.
    Are we interviewing Brad Pitt? If so, I withdraw my application...

There's 3 big reasons why it will be difficult for John Henry to hire a top notch GM to rebuild this team--Price, Sale, and Eovaldi.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    There's 3 big reasons why it will be difficult for John Henry to hire a top notch GM to rebuild this team--Price, Sale, and Eovaldi.
    I disagree.

Sale and Price struggled with bad luck and big innings, but both pitchers had higher ERAs than FIPs, and clearly still have something left. I don't think either will be some sort of Carl Crawford deadweight next season, just cashing paychecks while no one figures out why either is still playing. There is some very substantial hope for improvement.

The big deal with Eovaldi is the same one that has always been there - can he actually stay on the mound and give you 150 IP?

The Sox would probably love to move any of these three, and all will be difficult moves. But I think it would be easier to move Sale or Price than Eovaldi. However, the chances any of the three actually get moved are pretty low...

I am entirely, 100% convinced that you’ve seen the best from Sale. His arm just cannot handle it anymore. He either dials down and becomes more hittable or he continues to sell out for velocity and gets hurt. Price, similar as well, although he’s adjusted to his lost velocity. He just cannot stay healthy. Eovaldi is showing you what i saw for a couple years in the Bronx. Great stuff, intermittent dominance mixed with maddening inconsistency and major injuries. His choices to lead his rotation will haunt the Sox for years

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I disagree.

Sale and Price struggled with bad luck and big innings, but both pitchers had higher ERAs than FIPs, and clearly still have something left. I don't think either will be some sort of Carl Crawford deadweight next season, just cashing paychecks while no one figures out why either is still playing. There is some very substantial hope for improvement.

The big deal with Eovaldi is the same one that has always been there - can he actually stay on the mound and give you 150 IP?

The Sox would probably love to move any of these three, and all will be difficult moves. But I think it would be easier to move Sale or Price than Eovaldi. However, the chances any of the three actually get moved are pretty low...
    And if the toggle switch on Sale's arm goes back to awesome, they'd probably rather have him. They didn't just sign him up for $145 mill for funsies.

Also, you aren’t getting Beane. Just get rid of that thought. Beane has his castle in Oakland. He runs that organization. Starting over in Boston with more pressure and oversight would be a major change for him and I bet he wouldn’t bite. He’s got a great gig in Oakland and a built in excuse of being small market. No accountability

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I am entirely, 100% convinced that you’ve seen the best from Sale. His arm just cannot handle it anymore. He either dials down and becomes more hittable or he continues to sell out for velocity and gets hurt. Price, similar as well, although he’s adjusted to his lost velocity. He just cannot stay healthy. Eovaldi is showing you what i saw for a couple years in the Bronx. Great stuff, intermittent dominance mixed with maddening inconsistency and major injuries. His choices to lead his rotation will haunt the Sox for years
    Settle down a bit, Jax. Eovaldi's injuries the last 2 seasons haven't been major.

Just a wee bit of negative bias in your forecast.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Also, you aren’t getting Beane. Just get rid of that thought. Beane has his castle in Oakland. He runs that organization. Starting over in Boston with more pressure and oversight would be a major change for him and I bet he wouldn’t bite. He’s got a great gig in Oakland and a built in excuse of being small market. No accountability
    Not to mention, it's a step down everywhere but in the size of the market. The A's made the postseason last year and are positioned to do so again this year...

Deity
    And if the toggle switch on Sale's arm goes back to awesome, they'd probably rather have him. They didn't just sign him up for $145 mill for funsies.
    We hope.

This is one of the repeatedly questioned deals that reportedly lead to DD's firing and is often named as why the Sox might be moving Betts...