Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Billie Beane time ???

Billie Beane time ???

What says you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    What says you ?
    He backed away from the Boston job a long time ago.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    What says you ?
    I says why did you start the same thread twice.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I says why did you start the same thread twice.
    He's hoping it's like a Beetlejuice thing. If you use Billy Beane's name in a thread headline 3 times, he magically appears and rebuilds your farm system ...

If it were up to me, I would seriously pry Theo away from the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If it were up to me, I would seriously pry Theo away from the Cubs.
    Over the last 30 years I have gone to work with a core group of people 4 times in 3 different companies . It feels great to see the same faces after a long break and instantly get back into productive mode with good friends. Can Theo go home again. It may not be good in all cases but he is still relatively young. I guarantee he doesn't want any distractions right now as his Cubs try to hold on the 2nd NL WC. It must be fun to still be in the competition, instead of this slow death in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Over the last 30 years I have gone to work with a core group of people 4 times in 3 different companies . It feels great to see the same faces after a long break and instantly get back into productive mode with good friends. Can Theo go home again. It may not be good in all cases but he is still relatively young. I guarantee he doesn't want any distractions right now as his Cubs try to hold on the 2nd NL WC. It must be fun to still be in the competition, instead of this slow death in Boston.
    My opinion is that Theo left because of Lucchino, who wouldn't allow Theo the freedom to do things the way Theo wanted to do them. He probably would not want to come back, but if promised the autonomy that Dombrowski had, maybe he would.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    My opinion is that Theo left because of Lucchino, who wouldn't allow Theo the freedom to do things the way Theo wanted to do them. He probably would not want to come back, but if promised the autonomy that Dombrowski had, maybe he would.
    Problem is Theo holds the same position with the Cubs that DD had with the Red Sox. It would be a lateral move which are generally frowned upon in MLB. At best the Cubs would want significant compensation, and it will be far beyond what the teams worked out last time.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Don't take this as me bashing Theo. I loved him as our GM, but even he admitted he made some big mistakes. Let's also not forget that the whole system of drafting and IFA signings was way different back then. It actually favored the big spenders and winners. Some top prospects dropped to the late picks out of "signability" issues, and big spending teams swooped in a drafted them & signed them. The IFA market was just about a free for all, and Theo (and Ben) did very well in that area. I think that's were we did best. The second most important farm builder for the Sox were the comp picks we gained by letting over-the-hill FAs walk.

Theo's last draft included 4 comp picks as his top 4 picks: Barnes, JBJ, Swihrat and Owens. He also found Betts in the 5th round- something DD did not do. The year before (2010) he drafted Workman with a comp pick, but also Kolbrin Vitek, Brentz and Ranaudo. In 2009, he drafted Reymond Fuentes and Alex Wilson in the top 77 picks. 2008: Casey Kelly & Bryan Price. 2007: Nick Hagadone & Ryan Dent. 2006: Jason Place, Daniel Bard, Kris Johnson & Caleb Clay in the top 44 (2 comp picks). That's a long stretch of drafting poorly, mostly with low picks. You have to go back to 2005's comp pick laden draft to find his next good draft: Ellsbury, Hansen, Buchholz, Lowrie, Bowden (top 47 picks).

Ben's first draft saw 2 comp picks (Johnson & Pat Light) along with Marrero (all top 37). 2013L Trey Ball (#7) and Stanki 45th. 2014: Chavis (26th), Kopech (33) & Travis 67. 2015: Beni (7) & Rei (81).

IFA Signings:
    Theo
    Doubront '04
    Dice-K & Okajima '05
    Tazawa & Cuevas '07
    Bogey, Iggy & Montas '09
    Margot '11

Ben:
    Lin '12
    Basabe, Basabe, Bautista '12
    Devers, DHern '13
    Espinoza, Castillo '14

It may not be easy finding a GM that can rebuild with low draft picks and small IFA bonus pools. We also need a GM that can hire people who know how to develop young talent.

Most of us think DD is NOT "that guy," but maybe there are only 3-5 guys who have a proven record doing so, and some of them have no rings, yet.

I think of the hopes I had when we signed Dan D. He had a proven record of acquiring great young talent, but the Expos could never pay them through their primes. I thought, wow, this is perfect, and in many ways Dan D laid the groundwork for Theo, but he never won a ring by himself, and after he left the Sox, he proved nothing.

It won't be easy, and I hope we choose right here.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

All-Star
    I just saw a list of 12 possible GMs... and Beane wasn't on the list. Lots of VPs from currently winning teams as at Minny and at Houston. Never heard of about 90% of them but then I'm out of the admin loop.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I just saw a list of 12 possible GMs... and Beane wasn't on the list. Lots of VPs from currently winning teams as at Minny and at Houston. Never heard of about 90% of them but then I'm out of the admin loop.
    Was I mentioned?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I don't think we can mess with GM candidates before the season ends for the teams and maybe not before the WS or we will be called for tampering. The sooner we can get our guy the better. We need a mover and shaker since this team seems to be too complacent and in a season long malaise. The manager, coaches and players need to show some fire. Tough on the guys who do as many of them have already packed it in.

Triple A
    Theo Epstein greatest move and probably in all of baseball was when he signed David Ortiz to a one year non guaranteed deal when the Twins released him and the rest is history. Theo made mistakes he's like everyone else nobody is perfect but overall he still the best GM that the Red Sox ever had he could draft and recognize talent, he did some good trades like Beckett, Lowell and Schilling, he understood analytics and what it took to win. Hired good people who knew baseball like Terry Francona and Joe Maddon. Overall he the best we've seen on the Red Sox front office nobody will come close to his record in the modern era of baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Larry33 View Post
    Theo Epstein greatest move and probably in all of baseball was when he signed David Ortiz to a one year non guaranteed deal when the Twins released him and the rest is history. Theo made mistakes he's like everyone else nobody is perfect but overall he still the best GM that the Red Sox ever had he could draft and recognize talent, he did some good trades like Beckett, Lowell and Schilling, he understood analytics and what it took to win. Hired good people who knew baseball like Terry Francona and Joe Maddon. Overall he the best we've seen on the Red Sox front office nobody will come close to his record in the modern era of baseball
    Theo was on his famous hiatus when the team traded for Beckett and Lowell.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Theo was on his famous hiatus when the team traded for Beckett and Lowell.
    I've always been of the opinion that although the trade happened during the time Theo was oh his hiatus the trade still had his fingerprints all over it.
    Theo donned the gorilla suit on Halloween 2005 and Beckett & Lowell trade was signed on Thanksgiving Day. That's about a month, and trades like this don't happen quickly. There's due diligence to be done, etc. and it all takes time. Also, I have to think that there was some upheaval in the Sox FO early in November while they decided who was going to be doing what once Theo was gone.

So.. my opinion.. and just my opinion.. is that Theo laid the groundwork for the trade and had things in motion before he left. All that happened when Theo was gone was that the lame-duck FO followed up on the plan.

Consequently it's my belief that Theo should get more credit for the trade than he's getting.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully