Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Betances Tears Achilles

Betances Tears Achilles

Mother Fucker. It was during his last pitch on Sunday. Done for the year. Likely out for a good part of next year. He is a FA this offseason. Big blow
    Hal sucks

Must be the lack of rest during the Spring. You guys should have tried Restgate!
    Sox 4 Ever

I don't know what it is with the Yankees and all the injuries. One thing I've mentioned before is that the Yankee roster really features some extra large human beings. Betances being one of those.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

This is just absurd at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This is just absurd at this point.
    I've never seen anything like it, especially where the team is going for the best record.
    Sox 4 Ever

This is a f'ing joke, somebody needs to get fired in the yankees training stuff, there are too many injuries to put it only in the "bad luck" basket

Betances is in a bad spot right now, he is set to become a FA this offseason, instead of a big payday (something close to what Britton got) he's now in the bubble. I'm sure the Yankees will take care of him, they have done this in the past, I'm sure they will do it again for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    This is a f'ing joke, somebody needs to get fired in the yankees training stuff, there are too many injuries to put it only in the "bad luck" basket

Betances is in a bad spot right now, he is set to become a FA this offseason, instead of a big payday (something close to what Britton got) he's now in the bubble. I'm sure the Yankees will take care of him, they have done this in the past, I'm sure they will do it again for him.
    Agreed. The entire Strength and Conditioning team needs to go. I also agree on Betances. The Yanks will likely offer him a pillow deal with a $5 mil base and incentives to get a nice payday before hitting the open market again
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Agreed. The entire Strength and Conditioning team needs to go. I also agree on Betances. The Yanks will likely offer him a pillow deal with a $5 mil base and incentives to get a nice payday before hitting the open market again
    I was thinking something in the 2yrs / 10 millions plus incentives, which can take his salary to 7.5M if he comes back healthy, if not, it gives him security and some peace of mind while he's in rehab

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post

Or they might let him fend for himself like they did to Michael Pineda.

The Yankees have less cap space before the luxury tax in 2020 than the Red Sox do, per sportsrac, at $41.3million. And upcoming arbitration cases for Sanchez, Judge, Paxton, Kahnle, Green, and Montgomery. That should eat all of the $41mill, and possibly go over I assume Greg Bird will get non-tendered.

Even if they go over the $208million threshold, and I expect them to, Betances would become a luxury tax penalty that may not even contribute at all...

We will be over the $208 mil. We went under the tax in 2017 so we can go over for 3 or more years. We did let Pineda go, but that was with the understanding that he was going to miss the entirety of the following year due to TJS. Achilles injuries are usually less time. Britton tore his in January and was back by June (but wasn't back to being himself until September that year), so if Betances gets his fixed now, he might be ready for spring training and back to his usual effectiveness by mid season.

I see the Yanks doing this with Dellin. He is going to need a pillow contract anyway and my bet would be he wouldn't sign a long term deal while rehabbing. I would probably offer him a 2 yr deal, but my bet is he signs a one year pact with escalators and a contractual guarantee of no QO.
    Hal sucks