Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GooD GMs vs Bad GMs

All-Star

GooD GMs vs Bad GMs

Red Sox payroll is very close to 4X the Rays payroll!

I would love to see us sweep this series, but if they don't and the Rays make the playoffs, I'll at least have someone to root for.and a reason to watch the damn thing,

For a long time the Rays have gotten more bang for their buck than we have.

On the other hand, we have the most titles of any team this century. I'll still take that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Rays have changed GMs and coaches through these years. What has been the common denominator?
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The Rays have changed GMs and coaches through these years. What has been the common denominator?
    Cowbells and empty seats

All-Star
    I don't know. The youngsters they bring up fro, AAA are on a par with our guys and the Yankees etc. Howthey keep them (Longoria, etc) I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    I don't know. The youngsters they bring up fro, AAA are on a par with our guys and the Yankees etc. Howthey keep them (Longoria, etc) I don't know.
    Their best area seems to be two-fold:

1) They trade away very good talent just before they decline.

2) They pick up journeymen, scrubs or decent players via trade or free agency who then go on to have a career year or two.

They don't seem to draft all that well, but do find pitchers way better than we do.

My question was more about who are the people behind this or what is their system that we can copy or hire?
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    I see a couple of things we could emulate:

1.) in developing pitchers, they do not pigeon hole their pitchers to throwing just the fastball, curveball and change up.

2.) they work opposite of us. They work overtime to develop pitchers and squire bats outside the organization.

Deity
    A shitty stadium in the middle of nowhere?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I see a couple of things we could emulate:

1.) in developing pitchers, they do not pigeon hole their pitchers to throwing just the fastball, curveball and change up.

2.) they work opposite of us. They work overtime to develop pitchers and squire bats outside the organization.
    The Rays struggle to develop pitchers when theyíre drafting at the end of the first round just like the Sox.

But the Rays can afford to just plain suck every now and then and get a few draft picks...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Rays struggle to develop pitchers when they’re drafting at the end of the first round just like the Sox.

But the Rays can afford to just plain suck every now and then and get a few draft picks...
    Comparing the Rays to the Red Sox is really apples to oranges.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Comparing the Rays to the Red Sox is really apples to oranges.
    Then why do some people want to emulate them?

My point is, they draft better because they have more bad seasons leading to good picks. And itís not just the first round. A high second round pick is equal to a late first rounder, where the Sox typically are.

The problem is, fans want the Raysí farm system without going through the bad seasons. That isnít going to happen...

My point is, they draft better because they have more bad seasons leading to good picks. And it’s not just the first round. A high second round pick is equal to a late first rounder, where the Sox typically are.

The problem is, fans want the Rays’ farm system without going through the bad seasons. That isn’t going to happen...
    Correct you are

The Rays deserve credit for what they have accomplished under the circumstances . The G.M.s have done a good job and they have had managers who have gotten the most out of the players they had . But the bottom line is they have won only one A.L. pennant and no World Series in their existence.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The Rays deserve credit for what they have accomplished under the circumstances . The G.M.s have done a good job and they have had managers who have gotten the most out of the players they had . But the bottom line is they have won only one A.L. pennant and no World Series in their existence.
    The Red Sox once went 86 years with only 4 pennants and no World Series titles...

My point is, they draft better because they have more bad seasons leading to good picks. And it’s not just the first round. A high second round pick is equal to a late first rounder, where the Sox typically are.

The problem is, fans want the Rays’ farm system without going through the bad seasons. That isn’t going to happen...
    The Los Angeles Dodgers have a highly ranked farm system despite winning seven straight National League West titles with at least 91 wins each season:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-farm-system-rankings-2019

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/