Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Erod would restock the farm Cash out while his Value is at its Peak

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    OK, using the midseason numbers makes me want to package Barnes and Benintendi. On a serious note, does anyone see notable upside in Beni, despite youth and cost control factors, is it easy to picture him at 20 HR's 85 rbi's and .850 OPS ?
    The values they have for Barnes and Benintendi are updated, based on the number of years remaining on the table. Of course, both could change depending on what the players actually receive in arbitration.

As for me, Barnes is the clear outlier. He is a good pitcher, but his true value is diminished by the fact that he can't seem to pitch effectively on back-to-back days. That's a big deal for a high leverage reliever. If the Sox can find a team willing to take him on at anything close to that calculated value, they should do it and move on.

Using the values on that sight (which cannot take certain factors into account, like whether or not the other GM actually wants a player), the Sox should be able to trade Barnes straight up to the Dodgers for rookie RHSP Tony Gonsolin. If the Dodgers, who are annually looking for a reliever to help Jansen, would make this trade, the Sox should do it and not look back...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think Barnes will bounce back next year and increase his value. I'd wait on dealing him until July 2020.
    He might bounce back, but years of control is a strong influence in trade value as well. He may or may not get better. But his years of control is only going to go in one direction and one direction only...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He might bounce back, but years of control is a strong influence in trade value as well. He may or may not get better. But his years of control is only going to go in one direction and one direction only...
    Yes, but his numbers slipped (except k/9 & ERA+) for the first time in 4 years.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Yes, but his numbers slipped (except k/9 & ERA+) for the first time in 4 years.
    Even if he maintains, two years of Barnes is worth more than 1.5 years of Barnes or 1 year of Barnes.

The Sox do need bullpen help, but this might be a time to sell high...

I absolutely do not deal Barnes this offseason. The most overpaid for commodity at the deadline is bullpen. If I were the new GM, I would put the following limits on Barnes for 2020.

He doesn't close games
    He doesn't pitch back to back games

That is it. His numbers should improve and some sucker will go out and give the sox something useful for him.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I absolutely do not deal Barnes this offseason. The most overpaid for commodity at the deadline is bullpen. If I were the new GM, I would put the following limits on Barnes for 2020.

He doesn't close games
    He doesn't pitch back to back games

That is it. His numbers should improve and some sucker will go out and give the sox something useful for him.
    Actually given the potential free agent relievers, this off-season might be the optimal time to move Barnes. The headliner this off-season if Chapman doesn't opt out is Hector Rondon...

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    OK, using the midseason numbers makes me want to package Barnes and Benintendi. On a serious note, does anyone see notable upside in Beni, despite youth and cost control factors, is it easy to picture him at 20 HR's 85 rbi's and .850 OPS ?
    I dont see it in 10-D. I didnt watch many games at all this year, but sometimes he seems distracted or just doesnt really give a rats a$$. He may blossom when he's 30, but I would trade him if we can keep Mookie.

Perhaps it's worth considering not 'who has the most trade value,' but rather 'who has the most value for the team.' As pointed out above, no one is going to Fenway park all fired up because the RS have great players in Portland, where I can see them just fine in my $10 front row seat.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Perhaps it's worth considering not 'who has the most trade value,' but rather 'who has the most value for the team.' As pointed out above, no one is going to Fenway park all fired up because the RS have great players in Portland, where I can see them just fine in my $10 front row seat.
    Too bad we didn't trade Betts, Bogey and Devers while they were at Portland.

Just a few days ago we had a short discussion here about Tampa Bay and how they manage to sell high on most of their players. Maybe the most important question now is WWTBD?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Just a few days ago we had a short discussion here about Tampa Bay and how they manage to sell high on most of their players. Maybe the most important question now is WWTBD?
    Tampa Bay makes small-market moves and they do it brilliantly. But we can't really follow their model.

However, snagging their former mastermind Friedman would be nice.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Tampa Bay makes small-market moves and they do it brilliantly. But we can't really follow their model.

However, snagging their former mastermind Friedman would be nice.
    I actually think acquiring under the radar, low cost players is a great strategy for any team. That's not to say we can't also snag some higher priced players when needed, but we need a guy that fill a whole roster.

That is one thing DD did pretty well until 2019. The Nunez, Reed, Pearce and Eovaldi trades worked wonders. They weren't really "big market" moves, in fact we eevn got some of those teams to pay part of their contracts.

I actually think acquiring under the radar, low cost players is a great strategy for any team. That's not to say we can't also snag some higher priced players when needed, but we need a guy that fill a whole roster.

That is one thing DD did pretty well until 2019. The Nunez, Reed, Pearce and Eovaldi trades worked wonders. They weren't really "big market" moves, in fact we eevn got some of those teams to pay part of their contracts.
    Those were all deadline trades, so they sort of fit in a separate category.

The classic small-market move is 'selling high' like the Rays did with Archer and others.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Those were all deadline trades, so they sort of fit in a separate category.

The classic small-market move is 'selling high' like the Rays did with Archer and others.
    Exactly. Which brings us back to the title of this thread and WWTBD.

I wouldn't have the kahunas to trade ERod right now even though we might get a good return for him and he might implode next year. If the Rays had ERod they just might move him and given their track record that might not be a bad thing to do.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Exactly. Which brings us back to the title of this thread and WWTBD.

I wouldn't have the kahunas to trade ERod right now even though we might get a good return for him and he might implode next year. If the Rays had ERod they just might move him and given their track record that might not be a bad thing to do.
    The Rays track record does include finishing 3rd, 4th, or 5th five times in the 5 seasons prior to this year, and never finishing closer than 13 games of first place.

It's easy to call them the model to imitate when they are winning. But they have a lot of periods when they are losing that Sox fans could not handle. Heck, we have one 3rd place finish and people want to blow the whole thing up and rebuild...