Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Erod would restock the farm Cash out while his Value is at its Peak

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Exactly.

Look at the Yankees. They made small market moves to acquire Voit, Hicks, Urshela, Grigorius. Even the contract they gave to LeMahieu wasn’t a big market deal...
    I've heard on yankee broadcasts that LeMahieu situational and strategic (bat handling etc) has had a big influence on many other Yankee hitters, including the mid-level guys they brought in to win the pennant.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I've heard on yankee broadcasts that LeMahieu situational and strategic (bat handling etc) has had a big influence on many other Yankee hitters, including the mid-level guys they brought in to win the pennant.
    Lemahieu's approach has changed a lot of the Yankees. Even though we hit over 300 homers, the Yanks are not as much a "grip it and rip it" team as we had been. Maybe that is with Stanton out for the year, but our situational hitting was awesome this year
    Hal sucks

LOL, Erod wouldn’t restock the farm. You wouldn’t even get a top 30 MiLB prospect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Why can't we make small market moves, if we could do it brilliantly?

Why do we have to make big market moves which end up handcuffing us for years to come?
    I agree that Sox need to make more small market moves. I'm all for it.

Then, as a big market team, we have the ability to acquire an impact player that can get us over the hump. The trick is not to get into a long term deal, especially with pitchers. You can't pay a player for multiple years just for couple of years of production. Having money does not mean you should waste it, and we've done that under all three GM's. Just look at unproductive relievers that we've overpaid as an example.

As a baseball fan, I'm okay watching young team play, knowing that better days are ahead. What I don't want to watch is bunch of aging, overpaid, unproductive baseball players. I don't want to see a team full of Ken Morelands next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree that Sox need to make more small market moves. I'm all for it.

Then, as a big market team, we have the ability to acquire an impact player that can get us over the hump. The trick is not to get into a long term deal, especially with pitchers. You can't pay a player for multiple years just for couple of years of production. Having money does not mean you should waste it, and we've done that under all three GM's.
    Somebody needs to explain to me what has been so bad about our team's overall approach.

Haven't we won the World Series more than the other teams since Henry bought the Red Sox? (Yes.)

Sure we've made mistakes and wasted some money, but the bottom line is we've been pretty damn successful with what we've done.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Somebody needs to explain to me what has been so bad about our team's overall approach.

Haven't we won the World Series more than the other teams since Henry bought the Red Sox? (Yes.)

Sure we've made mistakes and wasted some money, but the bottom line is we've been pretty damn successful with what we've done.
    As a Sox fan since 1967, at the age of 11, I'm grateful for what the Sox has done over the past 15 years.

It's just conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    LOL, Erod wouldn’t restock the farm. You wouldn’t even get a top 30 MiLB prospect for him.
    For 2 years of control, I'm pretty certain we'd get top 20 or top 10- maybe a top 25 and a top 50.
    Sox 4 Ever

I, for one, am fine with our approach. I may think DD went a bit too far, but he wanted to make sure we had a rock solid ring roster, and he got us there.

I'm fine with a couple down years used as collateral.

Just get us back to the top again in 3-4 years and keep bring a couple rings a decade and I'll accept anything in between.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    For 2 years of control, I'm pretty certain we'd get top 20 or top 10- maybe a top 25 and a top 50.
    I don’t believe it with Erod’s history.

Then you don’t deal him. You make it a requirement to get a top 50 guy leading a package. You don’t get that? Then keep him

Paxton is a pretty good comp. we gave up Sheffield (#36 at the time) plus a couple others for him

All-Star
    Unless you 1) are getting a younger/more controllable/cheaper SP in return or 2) plan on punting 2020-21 and rebuilding (which I think we all know is not going to happen, nor should it at this point), I don't see the case for trading E-Rod. He's someone we'd be trying to trade for if he was on another club.

Deity
    The only players the Sox should really consider trading are Betts, Barnes (who apparently has good value, but his inability to pitch back-to-back days is troublesome), and Dalbec (rising in the ranks but blocked by Devers).

Baseballtradevalues.com does give all of them favorable trade values, but of course, that is just projected WAR vs projected salary over remaining years. It cannot include the most important factor - how badly (or not) another GM wants the player...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    According to this website, Eduardo Rodriguez has a surplus value of $37.6 million:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Taylor Trammel, Luis Patino and Dustin May -- the 28th-, 30th- and 32nd-ranked prospects at MLB Prospects -- have surplus values of $42.2 million, $45.6 million and $54.7 million, according to that website. Carter Kieboom, the 20th-ranked prospect, has a surplus value of $76.5 million. Heliot Ramos, the 50th-ranked prospect, is listed with a surplus value of $28.7 million.
    Last edited by harmony; 10-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    According to this website, Eduardo Rodriguez has a surplus value of $37.6 million:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Taylor Trammel, Luis Patino and Dustin May -- the 28th-, 30th- and 32nd-ranked prospects at MLB Prospects -- have surplus values of $42.2 million, $45.6 million and $54.7 million, according to that website. Carter Kieboom, the 20th-ranked prospect, has a surplus value of $76.5 million. Heliot Ramos, the 50th-ranked prospect, is listed with a surplus value of $28.7 million.
    Think Kyle Wright and Brusdar Graterol...

I guess the obvious answer is that the difference between us and the Rays is the 4 rings. I wouldn't trade.
    I wouldn't trade either, but it's hard to defend the idea that we're not buying championships.

I'd rather do it the small market way.