Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Erod would restock the farm Cash out while his Value is at its Peak

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Rays track record does include finishing 3rd, 4th, or 5th five times in the 5 seasons prior to this year, and never finishing closer than 13 games of first place.

It's easy to call them the model to imitate when they are winning. But they have a lot of periods when they are losing that Sox fans could not handle. Heck, we have one 3rd place finish and people want to blow the whole thing up and rebuild...
    True, but we did have a stretch with 3 last place finishes if 4 years.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    During which time we were rebuilding, just as the Rays have been doing.

I'm not completely sold on the way the Rays do business but I do think there has to be some middle ground between the way the two team's FO runs their teams. It involves making a rational judgement of how good your team is and whether or not to trade a player (like ERod or Chavis or even Beni) for prospects knowing that you may finish 3rd next year but the year after you could have that WSC team.

At the end of the day the thing that's done in the Sox farm system is that damn, irresponsible business of finishing 1st in their division for three consecutive years. It's ruined our chance to get prospects to replenish the farm!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    This is also the first year the Sox didn't finish first or fifth since 2011.

And despite that the Sox used those years to build their farm with players like Benintendi, Kopech, and Moncada, all that happens instead is debating about the job Cherington did and not how it benefited the club today. Sox fans are all about today. Not tomorrow. Many want to wait until tomorrow to fix it...

This is also the first year the Sox didn't finish first or fifth since 2011.

And despite that the Sox used those years to build their farm with players like Benintendi, Kopech, and Moncada, all that happens instead is debating about the job Cherington did and not how it benefited the club today. Sox fans are all about today. Not tomorrow. Many want to wait until tomorrow to fix it...
    Yes, but "today" is all about yesterday when today was tomorrow, which was last year not today.

Hope that made your head spin like mine did writing it!

What cracks me up is how often we hear how trading prospects in a good thing, because their value is potential and speculative or that none of the guys we have traded have amounted to jack, so far (Moncada excluded), yet some of the same guys, okay, maybe not the same guys, now want to tell us to have faith in our farm rebuilding and how all these fine young prospects are going to lead us away from the mirage of a cliff. It literally cracks me up.

Please lock this topic up .I was angry as a wet cat when I wrote it .Erod is part of this teams future .

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Please lock this topic up .I was angry as a wet cat when I wrote it .Erod is part of this teams future .
    LOL, not much has changed since 9/29/19, in terms of ERod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Tampa Bay makes small-market moves and they do it brilliantly. But we can't really follow their model.

However, snagging their former mastermind Friedman would be nice.
    Why can't we make small market moves, if we could do it brilliantly?

Why do we have to make big market moves which end up handcuffing us for years to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Those were all deadline trades, so they sort of fit in a separate category.

The classic small-market move is 'selling high' like the Rays did with Archer and others.
    It's also finding those second tier players that will give you more bang for you buck than the high priced free agents.

I am so not a fan of our gigantic payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

Why do we have to make big market moves which end up handcuffing us for years to come?
    I guess the obvious answer is that the difference between us and the Rays is the 4 rings. I wouldn't trade.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

In theory, it would be great, if we could master such "small market moves," and then make very few "big market moves" only when needed and only in strict moderation and for highly selective players (like Betts).

Deity

Exactly.

Look at the Yankees. They made small market moves to acquire Voit, Hicks, Urshela, Grigorius. Even the contract they gave to LeMahieu wasn’t a big market deal...

Exactly.

Look at the Yankees. They made small market moves to acquire Voit, Hicks, Urshela, Grigorius. Even the contract they gave to LeMahieu wasn’t a big market deal...
    They haven't won it all in a long time either, but your point is a good one.

If the Dodgers win this year, does that mean it proves some big market moves are needed?

The following players are the highest paid contracts in MLB history. How many have rings during those contracts?

All over $150M total. Red= Ring

Trout, Harper, Stanton, Machado, ARod ('08-'17), Arenado, ARod ('01-'10), Miggy, Pujols, Cano, Votto, Price, Kershaw, Fielder, Scherzer, Greinke, Jeter ('01-'10), Mauer, Heywood, Teixeira, Verlander***, Felix H, Strasburg, Posey, Altuve ('18-'24), CC Sabathia ('09-'15), Chris Davis, Manny, Kemp, Tulo, Tanaka, Lester, AGon, Ellsbury, Miggy ('08-'15).

*** Not with team that signed him
    Last edited by moonslav59; 10-08-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Deity
    Make Lester red. 2016...

Make Lester red. 2016...
    Done.