Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Erod would restock the farm Cash out while his Value is at its Peak

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    In theory, it would be great, if we could master such "small market moves," and then make very few "big market moves" only when needed and only in strict moderation and for highly selective players (like Betts).
    It should work in practice too.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Exactly.

Look at the Yankees. They made small market moves to acquire Voit, Hicks, Urshela, Grigorius. Even the contract they gave to LeMahieu wasn’t a big market deal...
    Exactly.

They haven't won it all in a long time either, but your point is a good one.

If the Dodgers win this year, does that mean it proves some big market moves are needed?

They haven't won it all, but they are competitive virtually every year.

The playoffs are a crapshoot, as we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree that Sox need to make more small market moves. I'm all for it.

Then, as a big market team, we have the ability to acquire an impact player that can get us over the hump. The trick is not to get into a long term deal, especially with pitchers. You can't pay a player for multiple years just for couple of years of production. Having money does not mean you should waste it, and we've done that under all three GM's. Just look at unproductive relievers that we've overpaid as an example.

As a baseball fan, I'm okay watching young team play, knowing that better days are ahead. What I don't want to watch is bunch of aging, overpaid, unproductive baseball players. I don't want to see a team full of Ken Morelands next year.
    Well said. I have never been a fan of big contracts. I have always preferred the home grown players and Steve Pearce deadline acquisitions over signing superstar free agents. Just because we have the money doesn't mean we have to spend it.

Farm system, farm system, farm system. Then fill the holes with small market free agent deals. Big contracts should be the exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    They haven't won it all, but they are competitive virtually every year.

The playoffs are a crapshoot, as we all know.
    Yes, and the crapshoot is one reason a GM might feel like he and actually does need to go "overboard" to increase the odds of a ring.

I'm not defending going overboard or way overboard, but just saying why it likely happens.

Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Well said. I have never been a fan of big contracts. I have always preferred the home grown players and Steve Pearce deadline acquisitions over signing superstar free agents. Just because we have the money doesn't mean we have to spend it.

Farm system, farm system, farm system. Then fill the holes with small market free agent deals. Big contracts should be the exception to the rule.
    We have Chavis, Dalbec, Duran, Chatham, Mata, Houck and others available for next year. I find it hard to believe that none will contribute to the club next season. If we are lucky maybe a couple of them will help us make the reset while keeping the club somewhat competitive. Bring on the new GM and start making moves aimed at 2020 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    We have Chavis, Dalbec, Duran, Chatham, Mata, Houck and others available for next year. I find it hard to believe that none will contribute to the club next season. If we are lucky maybe a couple of them will help us make the reset while keeping the club somewhat competitive. Bring on the new GM and start making moves aimed at 2020 and beyond.
    Duran, Chatham and Mata will not see the majors in 2020
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Chatham might, especially if we look for a deeper rebuild in 2020. Duran may be called up in September.

I agree on Mata.

DHern, Chavis, Dalbec, Houck and my longshot, Ockimey could be up near the start of 2020.
    Sox 4 Ever

Yes, and the crapshoot is one reason a GM might feel like he and actually does need to go "overboard" to increase the odds of a ring.

I'm not defending going overboard or way overboard, but just saying why it likely happens.

For me, the crapshoot is the exact reason why a GM should not go overboard.

Deity
    Mata might. And until the outfield situation is resolved, Duran is in the mix for starting...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I'm sure some of them will contribute next season. We'll have to wait and see exactly what the plan is.

We have a few aged prospects in the minors:

age prospect rank on soxprospects.com
    24 Dalbec 3
    23 Duran 4
    23 Houck 7
    24 Chtaham 10
    25 Shawaryn 22
    23 Crawford 24
    24 Bazardo 28
    25 Lakins 30
    25 Fitzgerald 33
    23 J Diaz 38
    23 Ockimey 40
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Don't wait cash out and restock .Erod has the most Value on this team besides Mookie make the Trade
    That would signal a total rebuild and that JD opted out and Mookie was traded. End result, a long summer of 2020.

Dalby and Chatham will see time bank on it .

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    That would signal a total rebuild and that JD opted out and Mookie was traded. End result, a long summer of 2020.
    It would and I hate saying it .Pull the bandaid off slow it hurts like hell .