Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

2019 Season Thread

The season started already?? Seattle/Oakland in Japan, massive ovation for Ichiro. He better be the second unanimous entry to the HOF....
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    The season started already?? Seattle/Oakland in Japan, massive ovation for Ichiro. He better be the second unanimous entry to the HOF....
    So you think that nobody will get a unanimous vote in the next 5 yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    So you think that nobody will get a unanimous vote in the next 5 yrs?
    Based on the evidence of 1 guy getting one in 83 years? I'd say the odds are not so good.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Jose Ramirez was just carted off the field after fouling a pitch off what appeared to be his knee. Injury appears to be serious. Sucks, he's one of the best players in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Jose Ramirez was just carted off the field after fouling a pitch off what appeared to be his knee. Injury appears to be serious. Sucks, he's one of the best players in the game.
    That stinks. I hope he's okay.

Red Sox Place Sandy Leon On Waivers
    By Mark Polishuk | March 24, 2019 at 5:12pm CDT

The Red Sox have placed catcher Sandy Leon on waivers, as per WEEI.com’s Evan Drellich (Twitter link).
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Zimmerman perfect thru 6 innings.
    other names i have posted under: none

Dodgers hitting 8 HR, and none of them coming from Pollock is a double killjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Why is the GT closed??

Bad juju GT closes in the middle of game 1 of 162....just sayin’

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Why is the GT closed??
    I'm guessing TV-MA language.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I'm guessing TV-MA language.
    That's why we play night games. Kids are sleeping by now.

Top 11 memorable moments from Opening Day '19

From the Dodgers' home-run barrage to Harper's Philadelphia debut

Mar. 28th, 2019

By Richard Justice @RichardJustice
    March 28, 2019

On an Opening Day of ovations and expectation, one of packed ballparks and optimism in virtually every nook and cranny of every yard, we were left with a handful of moments that might just linger in our hearts and minds awhile:

1. You go to the park on Opening Day because you might see a team hit eight home runs.
    In this case, it was the Dodgers hitting the most home runs any team has ever hit in a season opener. As for the franchise's single-game record, eight home runs ties that. Let’s count ‘em. Joc Pederson hit the first of eight Dodger long balls in the second inning. Enrique Hernandez, Austin Barnes and Corey Seager all went deep in the fourth. Pederson hit another one in the sixth, and there were three more in the seventh, including Hernandez’s second, which was the eighth of the day in a 12-5 victory against the D-backs. More >

2. You say Lo, we say Cain!
    Brewers pitcher Brent Suter almost wore that chant out last season. At times, it amused Brewers center fielder Lorenzo Cain. At others, he seemed to wonder what the heck was going on. Like a lot of people, Suter is amazed by Cain, who routinely does things that take your breath away. Cain was back at it Thursday, leaping over the wall and bringing a potential game-tying Jose Martinez home run back into the park with two outs in the ninth to seal a 5-4 victory over the Cardinals. As good as Cain’s catch was, his celebration -- bouncing off the wall, screaming, throwing the baseball into the stands -- was also one of the highlights of Opening Day.

3. Welcome to Philadelphia, Bryce Harper.
    He trotted out to right field, took a deep bow toward the fans and thrust a celebratory fist in the air. When he came to bat in the bottom of the first inning, the cheering began the moment he stepped toward home plate in his green cleats that paid tribute to the Phillie Fanatic. Harper went hitless in his first game for his new team, but he symbolized this new era of Phillies baseball. Oh, and the Phillies beat the Braves, 10-4.

4. New Mets deliver
    The Mets acquired Robinson Cano to do exactly this: deliver in important moments and change games. In short, to do what he he has done for most of his 14 seasons. That’s how he started this new chapter of his career with the Mets, with a home run off Nationals ace Max Scherzer in the top of the first inning. Speaking of good days, few folks had a better one than new Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen. Cano and closer Edwin Diaz were his two most important acquisitions in an offseason reshaping of the Mets. About three hours after Cano’s homer, Diaz retired the Nationals in order in the ninth to finish a 2-0 victory.

5. No break-in period for Justin Verlander
    Go slow? No thanks. Verlander got his 205th career victory by going seven innings and throwing 102 pitches in beating 2018 American League Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell and the Rays. Michael Brantley homered in his first game for the Astros, and George Springer and Jose Altuve also went deep in a 5-1 decision.

6. Giancarlo Stanton is 120.6 mph good.
    His first-inning single to right field had an exit velocity of -- wait for it -- 120.6 mph, the fifth-hardest-hit base hit since Statcast was introduced in 2015. He’s no stranger to that leaderboard, owning seven of the eight hits clocked at 120 mph or greater.

7. Luke Voit!
    He might have been the most under-the-radar 2018 Trade Deadline acquisition. In fact, not everyone understood what the Yankees were thinking when they acquired the first baseman from the Cardinals. That was before he hit 14 home runs and had a 1.095 OPS in 39 games. His three-run home run in the bottom of the first inning on Opening Day got the Yankees out of the gate fast and on their way to a 7-2 victory over the Orioles.

8. The NL MVP begins another campaign.
    Brewers right fielder Christian Yelich was baseball’s best player down the stretch last season with 18 home runs and a 1.324 OPS in his last 39 games as Milwaukee wrested the NL Central championship from the Cubs. Yelich was rewarded for his efforts by being named the NL MVP and was right back at it Thursday by hitting a three-run home run in the third inning as the Brewers rallied from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Cardinals, 5-4.

9. Fernando Tatis Jr.’s quick milestone.
    The 20-year-old Padres shortstop made his first Opening Day a memorable one by getting a hit in his first Major League at-bat, a second-inning single off Madison Bumgarner, in a 2-0 San Diego victory. Manny Machado made his Padres debut, too, going hitless in three at-bats.

10. These are the kids the Tigers are building around.
    Christin Stewart is just 25 years old, a 2015 first-round Draft pick and one of the faces of the Detroit rebuild. His two-run home run in the top of the 10th inning broke up a scoreless game and gave Tigers fans a glimpse of an exciting future in a 2-0 victory in Toronto. This game started with veteran right-hander Jordan Zimmermann retiring 20 straight Blue Jays.

11. Tim Beckham’s two homers off Chris Sale and what it might mean
    Beckham's career has not been a straight line to stardom. That isn’t how a lot of people thought it would go after the Rays made him the No. 1 pick of the 2008 Draft. He’s a reminder that young players don’t come with guarantees or timelines. Beckham is 29 years old and getting a chance to play regularly for the Mariners. So his two home runs off Red Sox ace Sale in a 12-4 Seattle victory might just be a preview of a cool new chapter of his career.

https://www.mlb.com/news/memorable-m...ening-day-2019

Deadspin on Chris Davis:

To start the season, he is, incredibly, 0-for-17 with 11 strikeouts. (For the record, his triple-slash is .000/.190/.000.) Add that to the fact that he’s only in year four of a seven-year, $161 million contract, and you’re going to get boos.

“It’s not something I was really expecting,” Davis told reporters after the game. “It was tough. At the same time, I heard it a lot last year, and rightfully so. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I understand the frustration. Nobody’s more frustrated than I am.”

I’m sure, because this isn’t only a 2019 thing. Dating back to last season, Davis finds himself 0 for his last 38—just eight hitless at-bats away from the MLB record of 0-for-46, set by the Giants’ Eugenio Vélez in 2010 and 2011. Vélez was not an everyday player and it took him more than a full calendar year to achieve that historic ohfer, so it’s fair to say that Davis’s slide is among the most brutal in baseball history.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

I would feel bad for him but he's making nine figures. I'd nationally humiliate myself for much less money than that.