Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana LaVangie fired

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Great...now instead of coaching pitchers to not throw strikes, he will be scouting for pitchers that...........DON'T THROW STRIKES.
    He spent 8 years as a scout for the Sox, most of it as an advance scout...

Rex Ryan!

Alright I thought about it, I don't want Rex Ryan. My apologies. I didn't have my morning coffee today.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Rex Ryan!
    Make it Nolan Ryan, and get rid of the damn pitch counts and the babying!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Legend
    Jim Hickey this guy is one of the best.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...120-story.html

Interesting piece from Speier today about the philosophical differences between LeVangie and the rest of the team. LeVangie pushed for a more traditional approach for his pitchers, rather than going with the analytics. This is supposedly the reason that he was re-assigned. Whoever the new pitching coach is, he will be somebody who embraces analytics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Interesting piece from Speier today about the philosophical differences between LeVangie and the rest of the team. LeVangie pushed for a more traditional approach for his pitchers, rather than going with the analytics. This is supposedly the reason that he was re-assigned. Whoever the new pitching coach is, he will be somebody who embraces analytics.
    I read that piece as Cora was an advocate of the more analytics based approach to pitch selection versus LaVangie who had been successful by studying film and deciding what hitters weaknesses were. Cora got a vote of confidence while LeVangie got reassigned. I'm left wondering if the poorer pitching performances of 2019 were an artifact of the weaknesses of our staff or the dated pitching coaching. ERod had a very good season with the same coaching as the other starters. It appears the Sox are headed in the direction of letting the analytics department determine the pitch selection.

One is led to wonder that if one team analytics department can identify a best practice for pitch selection, an opposing teams analytics department can anticipate what the aproach will be and let the hitter know what to expect. It kind of like building counter measures into air to air rockets and have the planes develop counter-counter measures to anticipate and overcome them. In that regard, i speak from experience.
    Last edited by oldtimer; 10-11-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: word spelling and meaning

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I read that piece as Cora was an advocate of the more analytics based approach to pitch selection versus LaVangie who had been successful by studying film and deciding what hitters weaknesses were. Cora got a vote of confidence while LeVangie got reassigned. I'm left wondering if the poorer pitching performances of 2019 were an artifact of the weaknesses of our staff or the dated pitching coaching. ERod had a very good season with the same coaching as the other starters. It appears the Sox are headed in the direction of letting the analytics department determine the pitch selection.

One is led to wonder that if one team analytics department can identify a best practice for pitch selection, an opposing teams analytics department can anticipate what the aproach will be and let the hitter know what to expect. It kind of like building counter measures into air to air rockets and have the planes develop counter-counter measures to anticipate and overcome them. In that regard, i speak from experience.
    Bill James was right...[Analytics] have made baseball about as much fun as doing your taxes.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Make it Nolan Ryan, and get rid of the damn pitch counts and the babying!
    Alright I’m in!

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Bill James was right...[Analytics] have made baseball about as much fun as doing your taxes.
    You crack me up.
    Sox 4 Ever

Curt Schilling is interested in the job. (Not a joke.)
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The article two days ago bySean Penney stated about our pitching staff;

In order to bounce back next year, it’s going to take more than new additions and better health. The pitching staff needs a change in philosophy.

The Red Sox plan on placing an emphasis on their pitchers attacking the strike zone. The idea is to pitch near the heart of the plate early in counts to get ahead rather than nibble around the edges to risk falling behind.

Then a lot of information to expand on those thoughts. I don't think Schilling is the guy we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Curt Schilling is interested in the job. (Not a joke.)
    Outside of baseball I disagree with everything this man stands for. But for pitching only I bet he would be an amazing pitching coach. Not sure how many of you read his “38 stitches” blog after his starts but damn was that some insightful stuff. I would love to see him get a shot.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    You crack me up.
    Itís a quote from The Simpsons. As Bill James voiced himself in the episode, he technically did say it...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It’s a quote from The Simpsons. As Bill James voiced himself in the episode, he technically did say it...
    It looks like we've come full circle on this.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully