Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dana LaVangie fired

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    It looks like we've come full circle on this.
    Except for your failure to acknowledge the quote was written by Simpsonsí writers and not reflective of Bill Jamesí opinions at.all.

Incidentally Bill James other chief interest seems to be unsolved murders, and he has a few books about some cases. Anyone read any?

If anyone has, we can take it to another thread where non-baseball stuff belongs. Or mvp will yell at us

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Except for your failure to acknowledge the quote was written by Simpsons’ writers and not reflective of Bill James’ opinions at.all.

Incidentally Bill James other chief interest seems to be unsolved murders, and he has a few books about some cases. Anyone read any?

If anyone has, we can take it to another thread where non-baseball stuff belongs. Or mvp will yell at us
    Except that is was THE FREAKIN' SIMPSON'S he said it on! When one hears something someone has said on The Simpsons they tend to take it with a grain of salt knowing that someone may be poking fun at himself.

Not to mention that IMO there's some truth in it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I read that piece as Cora was an advocate of the more analytics based approach to pitch selection versus LaVangie who had been successful by studying film and deciding what hitters weaknesses were. Cora got a vote of confidence while LeVangie got reassigned. I'm left wondering if the poorer pitching performances of 2019 were an artifact of the weaknesses of our staff or the dated pitching coaching. ERod had a very good season with the same coaching as the other starters. It appears the Sox are headed in the direction of letting the analytics department determine the pitch selection.

One is led to wonder that if one team analytics department can identify a best practice for pitch selection, an opposing teams analytics department can anticipate what the aproach will be and let the hitter know what to expect. It kind of like building counter measures into air to air rockets and have the planes develop counter-counter measures to anticipate and overcome them. In that regard, i speak from experience.
    I'm a fan of analytics and I think teams should absolutely use the data provided by the analytics guys to help them gain any advantage that they can. That said, a team cannot live by analytics alone. There has to be a balance. It's one thing to have a game plan based on what the analytics tell you to do, but it's just as important to be able to adjust the game plan on the spot according to way things are playing out. Things might need to be changed up because of the opposing hitters' approach, because of what pitches are working or not working for the pitcher, or several other things.