Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Bill Mueller and the death of the ground-ball single up the middle.

  1. #1
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,168

    Bill Mueller and the death of the ground-ball single up the middle.

    "Up the middle!"

    That was Joe Buck's call when Bill Mueller hit his game-tying, history-changing single off Mariano Rivera in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

    Last night, the Astros made their final out when Gurriel drilled a grounder up the middle. It went right through the box past Snell, but it was fielded easily behind second for the out.

    It seems to me that once upon a time a hard-hit grounder up the middle that got past the pitcher was an almost guaranteed hit. Singles up the middle were actually kind of cool.

    Now with all the changes in defensive positioning it's usually an out.

    One more reason, I guess, that hitters are focused so much more on launching it instead.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  2. #2
    I’m hoping guys style themselves like Lemahieu. Hit the ball the other way when it’s pitched there. Pull when indicated. Up the middle when you can. The only reason for shifts is the hitters were predictable. Be unpredictable and you can’t shift

  3. #3
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    29,332
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’m hoping guys style themselves like Lemahieu. Hit the ball the other way when it’s pitched there. Pull when indicated. Up the middle when you can. The only reason for shifts is the hitters were predictable. Be unpredictable and you can’t shift
    I agree. If more players learned to use the shifts to their advantage, teams would stop using it against them. I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.

    Bell is right, though, and as more and more players swing for the fences every AB, their out locations become more predictable.
    Sox 4 Ever

  4. #4
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    29,332
    Bill Mueller.

    What a fun guy to watch.

    (BTW, for those who just love hating on the "selfish" Manny, how about when Manny sat out the final game to make sure his teammate, Mueller, would win the batting title?)
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #5
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,968
    Mueller is my favorite Sox 3b of all time.

  6. #6
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    12,246
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Mueller is my favorite Sox 3b of all time.
    Over Boggs?

    Over your man-crush Devers?

  7. #7
    Deity Slasher9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    "Up the middle!"

    That was Joe Buck's call when Bill Mueller hit his game-tying, history-changing single off Mariano Rivera in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

    Last night, the Astros made their final out when Gurriel drilled a grounder up the middle. It went right through the box past Snell, but it was fielded easily behind second for the out.

    It seems to me that once upon a time a hard-hit grounder up the middle that got past the pitcher was an almost guaranteed hit. Singles up the middle were actually kind of cool.

    Now with all the changes in defensive positioning it's usually an out.

    One more reason, I guess, that hitters are focused so much more on launching it instead.
    great post. the game has definitely changed when it comes to ground balls. Sad!
    Mo laying on the ground on that play is an awesome memory.
    other names i have posted under: none

  8. #8
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,968
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Over Boggs?

    Over your man-crush Devers?
    I’m a Boggs hater.

    Yes, more than Devers.

  9. #9
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    29,332
    Mueller is certainly one of my faves at 3B, along with Petrocelli & Beltre (too short-lived).
    Sox 4 Ever

  10. #10
    2013 WS Champions redsoxrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,665
    Players need to learn how to bunt to stop this shift non sense

  11. #11
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,168
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Players need to learn how to bunt to stop this shift non sense
    It's either bunt or launch. They're going with launch.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  12. #12
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    12,246
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Players need to learn how to bunt to stop this shift non sense
    Won’t happen. As Bellhorn said, they’re going with launch. 30 home runs translates into more money than 30 bunt singles...

  13. #13
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    12,246
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I’m a Boggs hater.

    Yes, more than Devers.
    A Boggs hater?!?! For shame. How can you hate the man who starred in the SyFy original movie “Swamp Shark”?

  14. #14
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,168
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A Boggs hater?!?! For shame. How can you hate the man who starred in the SyFy original movie “Swamp Shark”?
    I'm with mvp. Boggs is my all-time least favorite Red Sox player of any note. I even dislike Clemens less than Boggs.

    I have to admit that I would like Boggs better if we had won it in 1986. Which may not be fair, I realize.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  15. #15
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    12,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm with mvp. Boggs is my all-time least favorite Red Sox player of any note. I even dislike Clemens less than Boggs.

    I have to admit that I would like Boggs better if we had won it in 1986. Which may not be fair, I realize.
    Excuse me. Swamp Shark.

    As a fellow fan of garbage television, I would think you should appreciate that about him...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •