Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Bradley

Hybrid View

Deity

Jackie Bradley

MLBTR is reporting the Sox are likely to tender Bradley a contract and then trade him.

This is good news for Bradley fans who want him to be part of the team next year. Trading him will be difficult. Reportedly Dombrowski tried to trade Bradley aggressively last off-season and found no takers. This season, with a bigger salary and less control, he should be even more difficult to trade.

Of course, not sure how this plan leaked. Since the Sox don’t have a GM yet...

Strange leak LOL.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

This sounds like one final attempt to drum up interest before a non-tender. I honestly don't know how the sox could look their team straight in the face and say they're cutting payroll then pick up essentially a $12 mil option on a guy who should be a 4th OFer. There are two potential scenarios here that I predict.

The sox deal JBJ prior to the tender date for a similarly underperforming pitcher still in the arb process or he is cut. I doubt anyone offers anything of value for 1 yr of JBJ at $12 mil
    A nontender
    Hal sucks

The source on this, apparently, is Christopher Smith of MassLive.

But in the article in question Smith played Mister Magoo and erroneously reported that Bradley was under control for 2020 and 2021.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The source on this, apparently, is Christopher Smith of MassLive.

But in the article in question Smith played Mister Magoo and erroneously reported that Bradley was under control for 2020 and 2021.
    Christopher Smith made the correction on Sunday after an email exchange with a harmonious poster who notified Smith of the error.

Oh good. Another JBj thread for me to post on.
    Best CFer to ever roam Fenway outfield. Worth every penny of whatever he gets.
    other names i have posted under: none

All-Star
    I've been a JBJ stan pretty much from the beginning (which included defending him through some pretty dark times in 2014-15 when his ever being even an acceptably mediocre MLB hitter appeared in question), so I'll be sad if this winter marks the end for him in Boston -- particularly if it's by way of being non-tendered. That does seem to be the writing on the wall, though. Hard to see us getting much of anything in return at $11 million.

Legend
    Bradley will be 30 in April.
    Paul Blair at 30, hit .261 with 17 HRS, 62 RBI's, and 27 SB's, scored 77 runs, and won a Gold Glove. One of the greatest Defensive CF's ever.
    If JBJ can do this, or project this, sure sign him.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-14-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Bradley will be 30 in April.
    Paul Blair at 30, hit .261 with 17 HRS, 62 RBI's, and 27 SB's, scored 77 runs, and won a Gold Glove. One of the greatest Defensive CF's ever.
    If JBJ can do this, or project this, sure sign him.
    The following 2 seasons Blair hit .218 and .197, so he might not be the best example.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The following 2 seasons Blair hit .218 and .197, so he might not be the best example.
    32 was his last season he played full time. See where I'm getting at.

Legend
    JBJ had 155 K's in 494 AB's. Wonder how many Men left on Base this left during season, but Hey swing for the Fences. Launch angle and Exit velocity, more important then making contact. And maybe letting a Fielder, have a chance at an error.
    Analytics.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    JBJ had 155 K's in 494 AB's. Wonder how many Men left on Base this left during season, but Hey swing for the Fences. Launch angle and Exit velocity, more important then making contact. And maybe letting a Fielder, have a chance at an error.
    Analytics.
    I think his ground ball rate is very high and he pulls so is easy to defend with a shift. Part of his hitting woes.

Legend
    Growing up, guys like JBJ were giving a chance to get consistency at the Major League level.
    Once Teams evaluated, that his best Talent is Defense and not hitting, most used them as Defensive Replacements, to hold onto leads.
    They took their chances early innings, with Offense, to get the leads.

Deity
    I thought it was a silly article, given the Sox have no GM. I get that the interim crowd has to make decisions, but they also don’t want to hamstring the new GM, either.

I think they try to deal him before the arb deadline. But if there are no takers, a non-tender is a very real possibility. Of course, if the Sox deal Betts and JDM opts out or is dealt, the decision to move Bradley loses it’s financial necessity...

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I thought it was a silly article, given the Sox have no GM. I get that the interim crowd has to make decisions, but they also don’t want to hamstring the new GM, either.
    You have to think we'll hear some concrete news about a DD replacement pretty soon, right? We'll know within days of the end of the WS whether JD is opting out or not, and the dominoes will start falling from there...