Register now to remove this ad

Thread: R.I.P. Peter Green

R.I.P. Peter Green

Peter Green, the dexterous blues guitarist who led the first incarnation of Fleetwood Mac in a career shortened by psychedelic drugs and mental illness, has died. He was 73.

The law firm, Swan Turton, announced the death in a statement Saturday. It said he died “peacefully in his sleep.″ A further statement will be provided in the coming days.

Green, to some listeners, was the best of the British blues guitarists of the 1960s. B.B. King once said Green “has the sweetest tone I ever heard. He was the only one who gave me the cold sweats.”

Green also made a mark as a composer, with “Albatross,” and as a songwriter, with “Oh Well” and “Black Magic Woman.”

He crashed out of the band in 1971. Even so, Mick Fleetwood said in an interview with The Associated Press in 2017 that Green deserves the lion’s share of the credit for the band’s success.

“Peter was asked why did he call the band Fleetwood Mac. He said, ‘Well, you know I thought maybe I’d move on at some point and I wanted Mick and John (McVie) to have a band.’ End of story, explaining how generous he was,” said Fleetwood, who described Green as a standout in an era of great guitar work.

Indeed, Green was so fundamental to the band that in its early days it was called Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac.
    Sox 4 Ever

Well, now he can go his own way
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Definitely not Second Hand News...

Pretty whitty, but those were songs were post-Green era.

When Peter Green replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, many felt their guitar play improved. Peter left the band along with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie and added Jeremy Spencer on guitar to form "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac with Jeremy Spencer." They put out some awesome blue-rock songs- nothing like the Fleetwood Mac of the mid to late 70's.

Here are some of the early Fleetwood Mac songs...

Albatross

Albatross -solo live

Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Later, covered by Clapton.)

Black Magic Woman (Later covered by Santana.)

Oh,Well (Part 1)

Drugs (mainly LSD) and mental illness plagued Green soon after joining Fleetwood Mac.

R.I.P. Peter Green.

Sox 4 Ever