Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Years Ago Tonight

15 Years Ago Tonight

the Sox began the greatest comeback in baseball history.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

the greatest postseason in the history of sports.
    other names i have posted under: none

I remember feeling so dejected after the third loss. That 2003 team was something special, and I felt they'd show it in 2004.

They shocked me and the world!

I'm not sure, if I've ever been happier than after that final out in the World Series.
    Sox 4 Ever

All of our WS Championships have been fun, but nothing will ever top 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I remember feeling so dejected after the third loss. That 2003 team was something special, and I felt they'd show it in 2004.

They shocked me and the world!
    And in retrospect, you have to love the boldness of Millar with his 'Don't let us win this game' bravado before Game 4.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

All-Star
    Maybe this date means the Yanks will not have to return to Houston on Saturday. That Tanaka requires lots of relief pitchers, and lots more, starting in inning one, tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And in retrospect, you have to love the boldness of Millar with his 'Don't let us win this game' bravado before Game 4.
    I'm aware that "some folks" won't agree with this but I've always given Millar a lot of credit for that WSC. He presented a positive attitude and stressed that they only had to win one game. Each day. And he outlined the plan.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Wish I could have witnessed this live. Well I did, but I wish I was old enough to remember it
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm aware that "some folks" won't agree with this but I've always given Millar a lot of credit for that WSC. He presented a positive attitude and stressed that they only had to win one game. Each day. And he outlined the plan.
    I totally agree.

While many players have said similar things like, "We'll take one game at a time," Millar's attitude was genuine bravado. He was relaxed and confident, and it rubbed off on others.

There were others on that team that contributed to the chemistry needed to pull off that type of comeback vs a damn good team. It was just the right mix. Even Manny's playful child-like attitude along with calm intensity helped.

Sox 4 Ever

I also agree. Not only were the 2004 Red Sox an incredibly talented team, but they were mentally tough and could obviously handle being down 3 to 0 on the biggest stage in baseball (more people watch the Red Sox v. Yankees in the ALCS than watch the World Series). Millar played an indispensable role in the mental toughness of that historic team.

not to mention that walk he worked vs mariano was YUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEE.

Deity
    Roberts got all the glory, but Millar started the whole rally with a walk. If not for Millar, Roberts had no one to pinch run for...

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I also agree. Not only were the 2004 Red Sox an incredibly talented team, but they were mentally tough and could obviously handle being down 3 to 0 on the biggest stage in baseball (more people watch the Red Sox v. Yankees in the ALCS than watch the World Series). Millar played an indispensable role in the mental toughness of that historic team.
    He did, for sure, and there were other that played similar and varying roles- all important.
    Sox 4 Ever

People like Kevin Millar are very useful in energizing the people around them to lighten up and get hard work done, whether sports or everyday life. He was and still is a treat to listen to on his show. I don't know if the 2019 Red Sox had such a personality to wake them up . Probably Brock Holt would seem to be the closest. I suspect there was some friction between various players. The 3 OF'ers who danced their way through 108++ wins in 2018 did not seem like such good buddies in 2019. Ever see JBJr smile ?

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Ever see JBJr smile ?
    everytime he posts a picture of him and his wife and daughter on IG.