Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 15 Years Ago Tonight

I've always believed that the 2004 World Series is proof positive of the existence of momentum. The Cards won 105 regular season games that year, Beat the Dodgers 3-1 in the MLDS, took 4 of 7 from Houston, then had the misfortune to step in front of a rolling freight train.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Nope, that ALCS was so amazing, the WS series sweep was sort of an afterthought.
    I think it was good that we swept the Cards. I don't think I could have handled a series with any more drama or pressure in it after the ALCS. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I've always believed that the 2004 World Series is proof positive of the existence of momentum. The Cards won 105 regular season games that year, Beat the Dodgers 3-1 in the MLDS, took 4 of 7 from Houston, then had the misfortune to step in front of a rolling freight train.
    OK, but what happened to the Yankees momentum after winning the first 3 games of the ALCS, the 3rd one in rather grand fashion?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Poor Kenny.
    Ever seen his post-season resume?

1999 Cleveland Indians. Up 2 games to none over Boston in a best of 5. Lost
    2002 San Francisco Giants. Up 3-2 in the World Series with a 5-0 in the 7th inning of game 6. Lost.
    2003 Chicago Cubs. Bartman series. Cubs up 3 games to 2 with a 3-0 lead in the 8th inning of game 6. Gave up 8 runs and lost the game and the series.
    2004. New York Yankees. Yup, Lofton was a Yankee that year.
    2007. Cleveland Indians. Up 3 games to 1 before JD, Beckett and the Curse of Kenny set in. Lost.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    All of our WS Championships have been fun, but nothing will ever top 2004.
    To be perfectly honest, winning a ring that year was second on my all time Sox moments.

First was eliminating the Yankees in the ALCS after falling behind 3 games to none.

Deity
    I think it was good that we swept the Cards. I don't think I could have handled a series with any more drama or pressure in it after the ALCS. LOL
    Honestly, I don't think I would have minded losing to the Cards all that much. Not nearly as much as I minded losing to the Mets.

I mean, a team wins the World Series every year. But a comeback from 3 games to 0 in a best of 7 is a once in a lifetime event. And to do it to the Yankees made and end it in NY (remember when the camera kept cutting to their fans?) made it soooo much better. And that series made me a huge Joe Buck fan with his call to end game 5.

Of course, winning against St. Louis was nice, too...

OK, but what happened to the Yankees momentum after winning the first 3 games of the ALCS, the 3rd one in rather grand fashion?
    Superior momentum.

Seriously, winning doesn't necessarily create significant momentum. Momentum is one of those 'intangibles'. It starts in the mind/heart and is contagious throughout a team.

It also can't last forever. If it did some team would have gone 162-0 by now.
    Last edited by S5Dewey; 10-18-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Ever seen his post-season resume?

1999 Cleveland Indians. Up 2 games to none over Boston in a best of 5. Lost
    2002 San Francisco Giants. Up 3-2 in the World Series with a 5-0 in the 7th inning of game 6. Lost.
    2003 Chicago Cubs. Bartman series. Cubs up 3 games to 2 with a 3-0 lead in the 8th inning of game 6. Gave up 8 runs and lost the game and the series.
    2004. New York Yankees. Yup, Lofton was a Yankee that year.
    2007. Cleveland Indians. Up 3 games to 1 before JD, Beckett and the Curse of Kenny set in. Lost.
    I knew it was bad, but that's incredible.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Superior momentum.

Seriously, winning doesn't necessarily create significant momentum. Momentum is one of those 'intangibles'. It starts in the mind/heart and is contagious throughout a team.

I like what Earl Weaver said: 'Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher.'

Superior momentum.

In support of your point:

Reggie Jackson said (after the series of course) that after the Angels blew Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS to us, he knew they had no chance to win one of the games back in Boston. The scores were 10-4 and 8-1.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In support of your point:

Reggie Jackson said (after the series of course) that after the Angels blew Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS to us, he knew they had no chance to win one of the games back in Boston. The scores were 10-4 and 8-1.
    Kind of like game 7 of the 1986 World Series. I wanted the Red Sox to win, but deep down I knew they were done...

Something has to give when two teams with momentum clash. The Sox had won 98 games in 2004- in a much tougher division and league.
    Sox 4 Ever

That was the start of a run of four titles in 15 years. The greatest comeback in sports history. As KM said, don’t let us win tonight . . .

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    To be perfectly honest, winning a ring that year was second on my all time Sox moments.

First was eliminating the Yankees in the ALCS after falling behind 3 games to none.
    When I say that nothing will ever top 2004, coming back on the Yankees was, of course, a huge part of that. The joy of winning our first championship was exponentially magnified by that ALCS.

That said, if the Sox had not completed the journey by winning the World Series, then that ALCS comeback would not be as precious or meaningful as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I would have minded losing to the Cards all that much. Not nearly as much as I minded losing to the Mets.

I mean, a team wins the World Series every year. But a comeback from 3 games to 0 in a best of 7 is a once in a lifetime event. And to do it to the Yankees made and end it in NY (remember when the camera kept cutting to their fans?) made it soooo much better. And that series made me a huge Joe Buck fan with his call to end game 5.

Of course, winning against St. Louis was nice, too...
    Losing to the Cards would not hurt nearly as much as losing to the Yankees, but for me, it still would have hurt. And as I just posted, the Sox needed to finish it off in order to make the ALCS comeback more meaningful.