Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yankee Off-Season Thread

Don’t forget about the Astros

All-Star
    Not going to happen, but how about this,

Brewers get: Andujar, JD Davis, Ford, and Holder

Brewers get their 3B, 1B, and insurance. Also they can plug Holder into the bullpen.

Mets get: Hader, Fraizer, and Zach Brown

Mets get salary relief to some degree, a closer, their starting LF, and a starting pitcher prospect they can work on and would be big league ready by the latest June.

Yankees get: Noah, Diaz, and small amounts(about 250k) of IFA money from both teams.

Yankees get Noah to plug into the rotation and can see if they can fix Diaz.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post

Brewers get their 3B, 1B, and insurance. Also they can plug Holder into the bullpen.

Mets get salary relief to some degree, a closer, their starting LF, and a starting pitcher prospect they can work on and would be big league ready by the latest June.

Yankees get: Noah, Diaz, and small amounts(about 250k) of IFA money from both teams.

I ran this through the simulator at baseballtradevalues.com, but without the money since it can only handle increments of $1 million.

It basically says the Mets are getting screwed here and the Yankees are making out like bandits (and remember, that is before the money was added). It was an equal trade for the Brewers, at least in terms of surplus value. Now, they might have different feeling about using their best trade asset to get some "insurance" for two holes they are filling and prefer to just fill another hole.

Per BTV, the Yankees are acquiring $89mill in surplus value while only giving up $45mill. The Mets are acquiring $62mill in surplus value while giving up $104mill. You might be underestimating what it will take to get Syndergaard, who on his own is worth an estimated $75.7mill in surplus value.

And then there is the whole question of why the Mets would acquire an asset like Hader, who represents an immediate fix, and the go and deal an asset like Syndergaard, which makes it much more difficult to take advantage of immediate fixes. This is the kind of thing simple trade values cannot catch, but the logic is counter-intuitive for the Mets. Especially since this team is trying to win and already lost Zack Wheeler in the rotation. Losing Syndergaard just makes their whole season taht much more difficult

This trade does become a lot more equal in terms of trade value if the Yankees are willing to take back the contracts of Cespedes and Familia, but that doesn't solve the logic problem for the Mets.

It also works out even better if the Yankees just take Syndergaard and Cespedes and let the Mets keep Diaz, and have their power combo to close out games, assuming they have any starters left capable of giving them a lead. That trade was accepted by the simulator. Or if the Yankees don't want Cespedes (they don't), they could also give up Deivi Garcia and either Tauchman or Antonio Cabello to the Mets, although neither really fills their immediate need for a CF...
    Last edited by notin; 12-03-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Deity

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/.../#comment-4831

The Mets will never do a trade like this with the Yankees, they could do an even worse trade but never with the Yankees

Not really interested in Noah. He’s gonna cost a fortune and is injury prone. We need an ace. There are two shutdown aces available for just money and some draft pick comp. Get one of them.

We don’t need another “reliable” back end or even mid rotation guy. We need an ace who can show this rotation the ropes and take all the pressure off them

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Not really interested in Noah. He’s gonna cost a fortune and is injury prone. We need an ace. There are two shutdown aces available for just money and some draft pick comp. Get one of them.

We don’t need another “reliable” back end or even mid rotation guy. We need an ace who can show this rotation the ropes and take all the pressure off them
    But today's free agent ace is tomorrow's injured albatross...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    The Mets will never do a trade like this with the Yankees, they could do an even worse trade but never with the Yankees
    The Yankees and Mets have made 16 trades in MLB history. Granted, none were blockbusters, but so few trades are blockbusters. I think the biggest one might have been Justice for Ventura...

Most trades between Mats and Yankees are only for minor pieces, no way the Mets trade Noah (or a big name player) without a massive overpay from the Yankees, Cashman will never do that

Big pitcher contracts aren’t always horrendous, especially the ones for top notch aces. Where you get purged are the second tier pitchers getting paid a little less than the aces. We need an ace. No question. Cole is a horse who has been pretty healthy

All-Star
    I do not have any insider information on this deal. It was just for fun. I saw the Brewers needs, but I didn't see a match up and just for fun I was thinking. Also I doubt MLB GMs use that trade calculator when completing deals. There is no chance Fraizer's value is that low. Again I'm not saying Cashman told me directly this would happen, its just something I thought of for fun.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Big pitcher contracts aren’t always horrendous, especially the ones for top notch aces. Where you get purged are the second tier pitchers getting paid a little less than the aces. We need an ace. No question. Cole is a horse who has been pretty healthy
    Change the name “Cole” to “Price” and I was having this exact same verbatim argument with Red Sox fans back in 2015. BTW, your next counterpoint is to tell me how Scherzer’s deal has worked out. Then I can counter with a list of deals that didn’t.

We don’t even need to continue this argument. I can do both parts. Just consider your team lucky that Cole is going to sign with the Angels and give them a couple great years before completely dragging them down. The Yankees really just need to acknowledge they have an ace-in-waiting and then go get a mid-tier innings eater not named Porcello (where the true bargains really are, despite your claim to the contrary) and move forward.

But to fans, free agency is about PR and ticket sales and big names. And fans do like big names...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Change the name “Cole” to “Price” and I was having this exact same verbatim argument with Red Sox fans back in 2015. BTW, your next counterpoint is to tell me how Scherzer’s deal has worked out. Then I can counter with a list of deals that didn’t.

We don’t even need to continue this argument. I can do both parts. Just consider your team lucky that Cole is going to sign with the Angels and give them a couple great years before completely dragging them down. The Yankees really just need to acknowledge they have an ace-in-waiting and then go get a mid-tier innings eater not named Porcello (where the true bargains really are, despite your claim to the contrary) and move forward.

But to fans, free agency is about PR and ticket sales and big names. And fans do like big names...
    Fans want championships.

Championship teams of recent years have featured big name pitchers.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

A lot of Yankee fans are pissed off at Cashman for being too clever about the starting pitching, not just doing the obvious thing and acquiring the big name studs.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I do not have any insider information on this deal. It was just for fun. I saw the Brewers needs, but I didn't see a match up and just for fun I was thinking. Also I doubt MLB GMs use that trade calculator when completing deals. There is no chance Fraizer's value is that low. Again I'm not saying Cashman told me directly this would happen, its just something I thought of for fun.
    GMs may not use a trade calculator, but they do have a method of evaluation beyond the typical fan, which is quite often nothing more than “I would like my team to get this superstar player, and the team that has him needs a shortstop, and we have a spare one. It works out perfectly.” Or “we have this reasonably decent bench player, he should be able to get a superstar pitcher in return.”

If a Mets fan read your proposal, I can promise you he would have agreed with me. That “trade calculator “ just compare future WAR projections to future salary projections. Do you think GMs don’t do anything like that?

Also, the Yankees fans appear to be the only ones high on Clint Frazier. The Yankees don’t want to play him. And no team wants to trade for him...