Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yankee Off-Season Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Big pitcher contracts aren’t always horrendous, especially the ones for top notch aces. Where you get purged are the second tier pitchers getting paid a little less than the aces. We need an ace. No question. Cole is a horse who has been pretty healthy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Fans want championships.

Championship teams of recent years have featured big name pitchers.
    While true, those same big name pitchers are often a hindrance to getting championships at some point during that ontract.

Fans might like championships, but they also hate hindrances to championships. Have you read any positive posts about Price this off-season? I think I’ve been the closest to saying anything good about him...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    While true, those same big name pitchers are often a hindrance to getting championships at some point during that ontract.

Fans might like championships, but they also hate hindrances to championships. Have you read any positive posts about Price this off-season? I think I’ve been the closest to saying anything good about him...
    You're right, but that's the other thing fans do, is whine.

I have no regrets about the Price signing, personally. He made it pay in 2018.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I'm fine with Price. The only question mark to me is the Sale extension since he seemed to be injured when they extended it.

The owners are flushed with cash. They can afford what they pay the MLB players (especially since they refuse to pay a living wage to MiLB guys).

Deity

There are a few who look at it that way. Very few.

But then, if i bring up Pedroia, who is on the VERY SHORT list of Red Sox players with 3 World Series rings since World War I, and who has a list of accomplishments as a player for the Sox that could fill the Internet, yet how many fans have called for his retirement so he can stop making money that could be better spent elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    There are a few who look at it that way. Very few.

But then, if i bring up Pedroia, who is on the VERY SHORT list of Red Sox players with 3 World Series rings since World War I, and who has a list of accomplishments as a player for the Sox that could fill the Internet, yet how many fans have called for his retirement so he can stop making money that could be better spent elsewhere?
    A handful of fans on this website have called for it.

A pretty high percentage of fans are stupid, I would never argue with that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Here’s the deal. Yes, the Yanks have serious pitching talent in their minor leagues. Yes, we have serious young talent in the big league rotation with Sevy, German and JMont. But what we need is someone to take the mantle of ace.

Sevy was an ace for a couple years, but Faded when the lights got bright.
    Tanaka has been lights out in the POs, but unreliable in the regular season
    Paxton has a hell of a run late in the year, but he doesn’t stay healthy enough to be relied upon.
    German had a good year and great stuff but his disciplinary shit is a wrench here.
    JMont isn’t the type of guy to lead a rotation

We can roll with this rotation and win the East. We can, especially with our pen and our offense. Heck, maybe Paxton and Sevy put a year for the ages together and Tanaka continues to dominate in the POs. No clue. But Sevy needs some guidance, especially when the lights get bright. Paxton is oft injured and needs some babying, which isn’t ace-like. Tanaka will undoubtedly have two one month stretches during the year where he’s an auto loss. German needs to be kept away from women and small children. Montgomery is a steady Eddy kind of guy who isn’t going to dominate for long stretches.

Getting a guy like Cole takes all the pressure off the guys at the top. Sevy can flourish when he isn’t looked at as the stopper. Paxton can take his twice yearly sabbatical to the IL. Tanaka can just do his thing and if he sucks for two months, so be it. It’ll allow us to retrain German to not be a piece of shit wife beater. It’ll allow Montgomery some time to cover for Domingo while he’s undoubtedly suspended and if JMont isn’t good, then German replaces him.

I do believe that if we get Cole (or Stras) we can firmly place them in the 1 spot and you will see a completely dominant Severino. Heck, Sevy might outperform Cole or Stras. But having the big contract guy from day 1 will unlock Sevy’s potential. I also think having THE GUY will also significantly help Paxton. No load on his shoulders and he’ll be entering a walk year. As a 3, he’d be dangerous. Heck, that 1-3 would be as good or better than any others in the game. But it starts at the top. Cashman has already said today that money won’t be the reason Cole gets away from NY. I expect it. It’s time. #28 is due

Deity
    Here’s the deal. Yes, the Yanks have serious pitching talent in their minor leagues. Yes, we have serious young talent in the big league rotation with Sevy, German and JMont. But what we need is someone to take the mantle of ace.

Sevy was an ace for a couple years, but Faded when the lights got bright.
    Tanaka has been lights out in the POs, but unreliable in the regular season
    Paxton has a hell of a run late in the year, but he doesn’t stay healthy enough to be relied upon.
    German had a good year and great stuff but his disciplinary shit is a wrench here.
    JMont isn’t the type of guy to lead a rotation

We can roll with this rotation and win the East. We can, especially with our pen and our offense. Heck, maybe Paxton and Sevy put a year for the ages together and Tanaka continues to dominate in the POs. No clue. But Sevy needs some guidance, especially when the lights get bright. Paxton is oft injured and needs some babying, which isn’t ace-like. Tanaka will undoubtedly have two one month stretches during the year where he’s an auto loss. German needs to be kept away from women and small children. Montgomery is a steady Eddy kind of guy who isn’t going to dominate for long stretches.

Getting a guy like Cole takes all the pressure off the guys at the top. Sevy can flourish when he isn’t looked at as the stopper. Paxton can take his twice yearly sabbatical to the IL. Tanaka can just do his thing and if he sucks for two months, so be it. It’ll allow us to retrain German to not be a piece of shit wife beater. It’ll allow Montgomery some time to cover for Domingo while he’s undoubtedly suspended and if JMont isn’t good, then German replaces him.

I do believe that if we get Cole (or Stras) we can firmly place them in the 1 spot and you will see a completely dominant Severino. Heck, Sevy might outperform Cole or Stras. But having the big contract guy from day 1 will unlock Sevy’s potential. I also think having THE GUY will also significantly help Paxton. No load on his shoulders and he’ll be entering a walk year. As a 3, he’d be dangerous. Heck, that 1-3 would be as good or better than any others in the game. But it starts at the top. Cashman has already said today that money won’t be the reason Cole gets away from NY. I expect it. It’s time. #28 is due

It's much more likely your pitchers are flat out tired and sore than they re afraid by the time October rolls around. Severino has ace stuff. He isn't afraid of the competition. And he doesn't need a $30mill binky to draw away he glare. If that was the case, he would have topped out in the minors. The list of AAAA players with 97mph fastballs has a higher number on it than either you or I could give a name to.

The Yankees don't need Cole, which is a good thing because he will be an Angel or a Dodger. But the Yankees do need actual rotation depth and to stop pretending Jordan Montgomery is the solution here. If the Yankees go sign, say, Tanner Roark and stick JMont in Scanton where he belongs, they will still be favorites in the AL East. And if they manage Severino, Tanaka, and especially Paxton's innings to a respectable 150-180 during the regular season, I think you will see a lot of this "fear of the bright lights" is magically gone come October....

Montgomery was a very effective pitcher in 2018. Near 3 WAR. He’s a Pettitte style pitcher who I’d give every shot at taking the 5 spot in our rotation

Deity
    Montgomery was a very effective pitcher in 2018. Near 3 WAR. He’s a Pettitte style pitcher who I’d give every shot at taking the 5 spot in our rotation
    He's an innings-eater. Pettitte never had an xFIP as high as the 4.45 Montgomery had in his 2.6 fWAR season, and never gave up 1.22 HR/9.

An innings-eater is a good thing to have in the rotation, but once they start having injury problems like TJ, the ability to eat those innings gets diminished...

What are you talking about? TJS is a frequent surgery, one where the pitcher frequently returns with the same or better velocity

Deity
    What are you talking about? TJS is a frequent surgery, one where the pitcher frequently returns with the same or better velocity
    Not always and you know that.

It is, however, the surgery that has a shelf life of about 600 innings before another one is needed...

We have 3 years of control left. That’s fine by me. The return rate is incredibly high. This is why I told you guys a Sale TJS wouldn’t have been the worst thing.

All-Star
    According to the Simonetti Source Rangers, Brewers, Angels, Padres, and Cubs have shown interest in Happ. It would be sweet to be able to dump him off.

https://twitter.com/SimonettiSource/...11790984753152

Pair him with a middle level prospect and maybe a few million in cash to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    According to the Simonetti Source Rangers, Brewers, Angels, Padres, and Cubs have shown interest in Happ. It would be sweet to be able to dump him off.

https://twitter.com/SimonettiSource/...11790984753152

Pair him with a middle level prospect and maybe a few million in cash to get it done.
    His worth is likely along the $10 mil range, especially since he started to rebound at the end of the year. The intriguing thing for most teams, I would assume, is the vesting option. The Yanks would clearly not want the option to vest if we held onto him as we are likely to be adding to the top of our rotation, but a team could hope that his September is what he can replicate in season and they can control him for $17 mil for 2021 as well. My bet is the Yanks can add $7 mil to him and send him somewhere for a nothing prospect, freeing up $10 mil and the worry about the option
    Hal sucks

Cash has been given the go ahead to offer a record contract to Cole. Go reel in that big fish, find a taker for Happ and keep an eye out on the trade market and call it an offseason