Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, he did, but expecting him and others to do well was a pipe dream from day one of the season.

More shocking was no moves were made to get a SP'er during the season, when the whole world could see the massive hole in the roster.
    Yeah, I think that if the Yankees lose this series that's what Cashman will take a lot of heat for.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The Astros will not win 3 straight. They will likely lose Cole this winter and maybe Springer, soon.

They still have some farm talent to keep them up there for a while, but it's damn hard to repeat without getting better each year (or stay the same).
    Ya agreed, was more less just saying the Astros have a very talented team. No shame in losing to them.

I mean we wouldn't know, we beat them but you know lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    time to change your signature line.
    1 game away from having to blow it all up and try again.
    Attachment 772
    LOL, that's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, I think that if the Yankees lose this series that's what Cashman will take a lot of heat for.
    Cashman needs to take heat for not getting a top tier starter. Paxton’s injury issues make him a 3. Tanaka may be a 1 in the POs, but with his reg season production being more a #3, the chances remain that he falls back to that like he did last night. Sevy is our only guy with ace like ability, but he was hurt all year and in the years he wasn’t hurt, he’s been a late season swoon guy. We need a guy who can go wire to wire leading a rotation, which will take pressure off the rest of the promising rotation. Nothing damages potential like expectations.

All-Star
    The Yankees aren't going to have a Red Sox payroll dude. No chance we sign Cole or Stras. I think Chapman opts out and he's gone.

QO to Chapman and Didi.
    Romine, Edwin, Gardner, Maybin, Gearrin are gone.

Resign Dellin to a one year 4 million deal with extra 4 mill in strikeout bonuses.

Try to find a taker for Happ, but no one will want him, so he's ours.

C: Sanchez/Higgy
    1B: Voit/Ford
    2B: DJ
    SS: Torres
    3B: Gio/Andujar
    UTL Estrada or Wade

OF: Judge, Hicks, Fraizer
    Bench Tauchman
    DH: Stanton.

Like you said already.

SP
    Sevy
    German
    Paxton
    Tanaka
    Monty/Happ

Britton
    Dellin
    Otto
    Kahnle
    Green
    Cessa
    Loaisiga

Fire Cashman and hire Dave Dombrowski. As weird as that sounds, Henry was brilliant in seeing that the Red Sox needed to hire Dombrowski to win another title. It worked to the tune of 119 wins--the 2018 Red Sox were one of the greatest teams in MLB history. They completely dominated in the regular season and in the postseason, kicking the crap out of the Yankees, Astros, and Dodgers. Henry was also brilliant in seeing that Dombrowski was not the right guy to take the organization forward.

Considering where the Yankees are right now, they need Dombrowski, a guy who can come in and put the final pieces in place for a championship. Cashman has proven time and time again that he can't do the job.

Let's compare some moves. The Astros outmaneuvered Cashman when they acquired Verlander. The Astros outmaneuvered Cashman when they acquired Cole. Dombrowski outmaneuvered Cashman when he acquired Eovaldi and Pearce. The Astros outmaneuvered Cashman when they acquired Grienke. Who did the Yankees acquire during the 2019 season? E.Encarncion, who went 1 for 18 in the ALCS.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 10-20-2019 at 12:06 AM.

As far as Cole and Strasburg go, they are exactly what the Yankees need. Cole is from Southern California. I'm expecting the Angels to go after him, but I ultimately believe the Dodgers will sign him. The Dodgers are even more desperate than the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    As far as Cole and Strasburg go, they are exactly what the Yankees need. Cole is from Southern California. I'm expecting the Angels to go after him, but I ultimately believe the Dodgers will sign him. The Dodgers are even more desperate than the Yankees.
    I could see Stasburg to NYY & Cole to LAD.

All the more reason for the Sox to reset and trade Betts & JD this winter.

Let the 3 teams burn themselves out in 2020.
    Sox 4 Ever

I could see Stasburg to NYY & Cole to LAD.

All the more reason for the Sox to reset and trade Betts & JD this winter.

Let the 3 teams burn themselves out in 2020.
    I'm starting to believe that a one or two year rebuild would be the best long term strategy for the Red Sox. Not a complete rebuild and tear down, but get under the cap, strengthen the farm system, and look to compete again in 2022.

I'm starting to believe that a one or two year rebuild would be the best long term strategy for the Red Sox. Not a complete rebuild and tear down, but get under the cap, strengthen the farm system, and look to compete again in 2022.
    Too hard to say what we will look like next year. I know we have a lot of experts on this board that think Sale is toast, but maybe Sale comes back and is a dominant Ace, Price pitches to his capability and stays healthy, Eovaldi pitches good. All the sudden we are competing for the division and no need for a rebuild. We still have so many weapons from our World Series year that it makes it hard for me to say let’s rebuild. But time will tell.

I'm thinking 2 years is not unrealistic. To me, it's all about JD & Betts.
    Sox 4 Ever

Cashman isn’t getting fired. Let’s just throw that out there.

Also, if the Yanks aren’t willing to go to the final threshold then I’ll question their willingness to win. They spent a lot this past offseason and with the guys coming off the payroll, they have the cash to upgrade the rotation. Like I said before, we have a ton of potential in our rotation.

Sevy has two straight top 10 CY finishes prior to this year. This year he’s misdiagnosed (common theme this year) with a rotator cuff issue when it was actually a lat issue and he essentially misses the whole year. His issue is that when he’s healthy, he fades late. We need an ace who can continue on to the playoffs. Sevy could become that, but he also could continue to be a great regular season pitcher who fades forever like a Chris Sale

Montgomery had a near 3 WAR season as a rookie. He’s not a top guy, but could certainly be a Keuchel LF now type with a good K rate. He’s not the guy to lead a rotation, though

Paxton has the stuff to be an ace, but not the durability. He showed me something in what turned out to be his final performance, but he’s continually injury prone and if he’s feeling something come playoff time, he won’t be what we need.

Tanaka is the only one who excels in the POs. But he’s a liability for a few months a year in the regular season leading to being okay, not leading a rotation

German has great stuff. His production was pretty good, but he got great run support. He’s got ace stuff, but he’s also a fucking moron socially and I’m not sure if he’s ticketed out of town for a fresh start. If he’s in a Yankee uniform, he’s gonna be in the rotation. Can he take a step forward, who knows.

We have a pretty good 5 man rotation. Happ as the 6 is better than nothing. But this rotation, while good and with our offense, is pretty solid, it’s overshadowed in the playoffs. If Cole comes available (meaning he doesn’t outright say he’s going to LA) and we don’t over bid, I’ll be shocked. We need an ace to lead the way. As a matter of fact, I bet if we get Cole or Strasburg, the entire rotation will benefit. We have to go for them

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Cashman isn’t getting fired. Let’s just throw that out there.

Also, if the Yanks aren’t willing to go to the final threshold then I’ll question their willingness to win. They spent a lot this past offseason and with the guys coming off the payroll, they have the cash to upgrade the rotation. Like I said before, we have a ton of potential in our rotation.

Sevy has two straight top 10 CY finishes prior to this year. This year he’s misdiagnosed (common theme this year) with a rotator cuff issue when it was actually a lat issue and he essentially misses the whole year. His issue is that when he’s healthy, he fades late. We need an ace who can continue on to the playoffs. Sevy could become that, but he also could continue to be a great regular season pitcher who fades forever like a Chris Sale

Montgomery had a near 3 WAR season as a rookie. He’s not a top guy, but could certainly be a Keuchel LF now type with a good K rate. He’s not the guy to lead a rotation, though

Paxton has the stuff to be an ace, but not the durability. He showed me something in what turned out to be his final performance, but he’s continually injury prone and if he’s feeling something come playoff time, he won’t be what we need.

Tanaka is the only one who excels in the POs. But he’s a liability for a few months a year in the regular season leading to being okay, not leading a rotation

German has great stuff. His production was pretty good, but he got great run support. He’s got ace stuff, but he’s also a fucking moron socially and I’m not sure if he’s ticketed out of town for a fresh start. If he’s in a Yankee uniform, he’s gonna be in the rotation. Can he take a step forward, who knows.

We have a pretty good 5 man rotation. Happ as the 6 is better than nothing. But this rotation, while good and with our offense, is pretty solid, it’s overshadowed in the playoffs. If Cole comes available (meaning he doesn’t outright say he’s going to LA) and we don’t over bid, I’ll be shocked. We need an ace to lead the way. As a matter of fact, I bet if we get Cole or Strasburg, the entire rotation will benefit. We have to go for them
    And this series was closer than anyone will ever know who didn’t watch the actual games. Yankees tied it and had they pulled it off I think they win that series even against Cole. Just too much momentum after winning 2 straight against the Astros in my opinion. Hard to shut something like that down. I don’t think the Yankees need to make too much drastic changes, but it is common for fans to want change after losing in the playoffs no matter how close they come to the World Series. I do also think whoever won this wins the World Series. I like Washington and hope they pull it off against Houston but I think they lost in 5 or 6 tops. Yankees have a lot of potential and will compete again next year. Maybe Boone will actually change his approach and light a spark under his team rather than be dead weight. Not saying he isn’t doing that off cameras but regardless.

We have plenty of potential. I don’t disagree there. But nothing blunts potential like expectations. If Sevy is to grow into an ace role, if German can be a decent human and keep his HR’s down, if Montgomery can be healthy and find a touch better command, if Tanaka can do what he does in the postseason all the time, if Paxton can stay healthy then this rotation takes the next step. But in order to do all of that or even some of it, we need a face of the rotation. That’s what getting CC in 09 was. Our rotation was led by CC. Didn’t matter that we had Pettitte and Burnett behind him, CC was THE guy. He was our stopped, our ace, our everything. With the current core of starters, we don’t have that. There is no stopped. It’s very “Next Man Up” style, but it doesn’t help in the playoffs against a juggernaut. I’m taking nothing away from the Astros. They were world champion level and added a future HOFer still pitching great. So they stacked their deck and kudos for going after it. But they’re gonna start to fall this offseason and with their fall will be our chance to rise. We need someone to lead that rotation in order to take that next step

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We have plenty of potential. I don’t disagree there. But nothing blunts potential like expectations. If Sevy is to grow into an ace role, if German can be a decent human and keep his HR’s down, if Montgomery can be healthy and find a touch better command, if Tanaka can do what he does in the postseason all the time, if Paxton can stay healthy then this rotation takes the next step. But in order to do all of that or even some of it, we need a face of the rotation. That’s what getting CC in 09 was. Our rotation was led by CC. Didn’t matter that we had Pettitte and Burnett behind him, CC was THE guy. He was our stopped, our ace, our everything. With the current core of starters, we don’t have that. There is no stopped. It’s very “Next Man Up” style, but it doesn’t help in the playoffs against a juggernaut. I’m taking nothing away from the Astros. They were world champion level and added a future HOFer still pitching great. So they stacked their deck and kudos for going after it. But they’re gonna start to fall this offseason and with their fall will be our chance to rise. We need someone to lead that rotation in order to take that next step
    Well said I agree. It will be interesting to see the moves the Yankees make if they do at all. Curious what the management and ownership think of the team right now. Pretty much a game away in my opinion from winning it all. I still think they beat anyone in the league if they get past last night.