Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We have plenty of potential. I don’t disagree there. But nothing blunts potential like expectations. If Sevy is to grow into an ace role, if German can be a decent human and keep his HR’s down, if Montgomery can be healthy and find a touch better command, if Tanaka can do what he does in the postseason all the time, if Paxton can stay healthy then this rotation takes the next step. But in order to do all of that or even some of it, we need a face of the rotation. That’s what getting CC in 09 was. Our rotation was led by CC. Didn’t matter that we had Pettitte and Burnett behind him, CC was THE guy. He was our stopped, our ace, our everything. With the current core of starters, we don’t have that. There is no stopped. It’s very “Next Man Up” style, but it doesn’t help in the playoffs against a juggernaut. I’m taking nothing away from the Astros. They were world champion level and added a future HOFer still pitching great. So they stacked their deck and kudos for going after it. But they’re gonna start to fall this offseason and with their fall will be our chance to rise. We need someone to lead that rotation in order to take that next step
    Sevy was supposed to be "the face." The injury was unfortunate, and you guys had way more injuries beyond just him. I wouldn't get too down, considering all the missed time.

That being said, you are right. You need an ace. If Sevy is also one next year, then that's the true model for building a ring-worthy team. You've been telling us to follow your model of rebuilding. I'm telling you to follow ours for ring winning. Two aces = rings.

Pedro-Schilling

Beckett- Schilling

Lester- Lackey

Sale- Price

We never won with just one ace.
    Sox 4 Ever

That’s a plus minus, though. Sale wasn’t an ace when you won the WS. He was the first half of the season, but Eovaldi took the reins at the beginning of the POs. Price also wasn’t an ace last year. They peaked at the right time. We need an ace. A guy who plays well all the time, but especially when the chips are down

That’s a plus minus, though. Sale wasn’t an ace when you won the WS. He was the first half of the season, but Eovaldi took the reins at the beginning of the POs. Price also wasn’t an ace last year. They peaked at the right time. We need an ace. A guy who plays well all the time, but especially when the chips are down
    We don't win without Sale and Price. It's not about them having to be aces every game of the year. Yes, you need other pieces, but the Sox history of ring winning involves picking up a second ace.

Pedro could not win by himself. We had to get Schilling.

Schilling could not win by himself. We had to get Beckett.

Lester could not win by himself. We had to get Lackey.

Price could not win by himself. We had to get Sale.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We don't win without Sale and Price. It's not about them having to be aces every game of the year. Yes, you need other pieces, but the Sox history of ring winning involves picking up a second ace.

Well said!

I miss the days of eating KFC in the dugout. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

You probably don’t win the division without Sale that year, so I do agree there. But you also need to have guys taking up the mantle of postseason ace, which Sale clearly wasn’t. Sale took a nosedive and everyone picked him up. Porcello, Price and Eovaldi all just pitched to the best of their abilities for a month.

The Yanks need an ace. Not an ace from April to July like Severino. Not just an ace only in the POs like Tanaka. We need one of the rare birds that takes the ball on opening day, a guy you line up vs your rivals, a guy you line up for the first game of every series and a guy you try and maximize usage in crunch time of playoff series. That is all we are missing.

You probably don’t win the division without Sale that year, so I do agree there. But you also need to have guys taking up the mantle of postseason ace, which Sale clearly wasn’t. Sale took a nosedive and everyone picked him up. Porcello, Price and Eovaldi all just pitched to the best of their abilities for a month.

The Yanks need an ace. Not an ace from April to July like Severino. Not just an ace only in the POs like Tanaka. We need one of the rare birds that takes the ball on opening day, a guy you line up vs your rivals, a guy you line up for the first game of every series and a guy you try and maximize usage in crunch time of playoff series. That is all we are missing.
    Winning the division was huge. Sale was a major reason we cruised into the playoffs without needing to play-in or have our best pitchers tired or on short rest to start the playoffs.

Having two aces allows you to win, if one falters in the playoffs.

Besides, Sale did pretty well vs the Yanks in the first round. Yes, Price and Eovaldi picked him up in the next rounds.

I do not think it was a fluke that the Sox have only won when we acquired a second ace to go with the one we already had, despite the two maybe not pitching like aces every game and through the playoffs.
    Sox 4 Ever

Hey, I'll take two aces. I'd love 3 or more. Heck, watch us get Cole, see Paxton have that second year acquisition surge in a Yankee uni and Sevy take the leap and have a 3 headed monster with our 4 being Tanaka. A man can dream can't he? Either way, I forgot about a guy who absolutely obliterated the baseball while he was in pinstripes in Mike Ford.

Mike Ford is another exit velo monster, but he didn't start that way. Ford is not your typical rookie. He is 27 yrs old. He was an undrafted 1b out of Princeton that I identify with. Not from a great pro baseball school, a 1b with above average but not standard positional height (6 foot even), who was a hitter but not a masher through college. The Yanks sign him, see he has great control of the strike zone and see his body type and assume power will come. He puts up high .300s OBP's while hitting 6-13 HRs through his first couple seasons then improves in an injury shortened 2016. He comes out in 2017 with an OBP over .400 and hits 20 bombs. He looked good enough for the Mariners to select him in the Rule V, but decide to keep Vogelbach instead of Ford. He comes back to NY and struggles in AAA in 2017 and contemplates retiring. He signs on as a MiLB FA again and finds his 2017 form yet adds major league power. His first taste of big league baseball saw him OPS .909 with 12 bombs in 50 games.

The reason why I am giving his story here is that he is going to spend a lot of time with the Yanks on the active roster in 2020. With Gardner and Didi likely heading off into the wilderness, we will need left handed mashers. As of right now, the only player capable of hitting left handed in our starting lineup is a switch hitter in Hicks. Tauchman may be our starting LFer as well, so he adds some left handedness that is badly needed for a team playing in Yankee Stadium. And while it does help us vs the Red Sox, we have become entirely vulnerable to right handed strikeout pitchers.
    Hal sucks

So with Ford in the mix, if the Yanks allow their FA's to walk and Chap opts out, this is what we start with

C- Sanchez, Higashioka
    1B- Voit, Ford
    2B- Lemahieu, Estrada
    SS- Torres, Wade
    3B- Andujar, Urshela
    LF- Stanton, Tauchman
    CF- Hicks
    RF- Judge

SP1- Severino
    SP2- Paxton
    SP3- Tanaka
    SP4- German
    SP5- Montgomery
    LR- Happ
    LR- Loaisiga
    CL- Britton
    SU- Ottavino
    SU- Green
    SU- Kahnle
    MR- Heller
    MR- Cessa

Not a bad starting point
    Hal sucks

So with Ford in the mix, if the Yanks allow their FA's to walk and Chap opts out, this is what we start with

C- Sanchez, Higashioka
    1B- Voit, Ford
    2B- Lemahieu, Estrada
    SS- Torres, Wade
    3B- Andujar, Urshela
    LF- Stanton, Tauchman
    CF- Hicks
    RF- Judge

SP1- Severino
    SP2- Paxton
    SP3- Tanaka
    SP4- German
    SP5- Montgomery
    LR- Happ
    LR- Loaisiga
    CL- Britton
    SU- Ottavino
    SU- Green
    SU- Kahnle
    MR- Heller
    MR- Cessa

Not a bad starting point
    Pretty sure most teams would like that stuff! Yankees will compete next year for sure whether they made small changes or big changes.

Deity

C- Sanchez, Higashioka
    1B- Voit, Ford
    2B- Lemahieu, Estrada
    SS- Torres, Wade
    3B- Andujar, Urshela
    LF- Stanton, Tauchman
    CF- Hicks
    RF- Judge

SP1- Severino
    SP2- Paxton
    SP3- Tanaka
    SP4- German
    SP5- Montgomery
    LR- Happ
    LR- Loaisiga
    CL- Britton
    SU- Ottavino
    SU- Green
    SU- Kahnle
    MR- Heller
    MR- Cessa

Not a bad starting point
    The names are obviously right, but I do not agree with the roles. No way is Montgomery in the rotation while Happ is in the bullpen. I know you were impressed with Montgomery's 2.6 fWAR in his last year, but he gained that value as an innings-eater. But once an innings-eater has TJ surgery, you cannot count on that same value going forward. It's not like he was that great of a pitcher.

I think at some point Deivi Garcia will work his way into the bullpen, probably in a role created by moving Cessa, Heller, or (my choice) Loasigia...

Deity
    Hey, I'll take two aces. I'd love 3 or more. Heck, watch us get Cole, see Paxton have that second year acquisition surge in a Yankee uni and Sevy take the leap and have a 3 headed monster with our 4 being Tanaka. A man can dream can't he? Either way, I forgot about a guy who absolutely obliterated the baseball while he was in pinstripes in Mike Ford.

Mike Ford is another exit velo monster, but he didn't start that way. Ford is not your typical rookie. He is 27 yrs old. He was an undrafted 1b out of Princeton that I identify with. Not from a great pro baseball school, a 1b with above average but not standard positional height (6 foot even), who was a hitter but not a masher through college. The Yanks sign him, see he has great control of the strike zone and see his body type and assume power will come. He puts up high .300s OBP's while hitting 6-13 HRs through his first couple seasons then improves in an injury shortened 2016. He comes out in 2017 with an OBP over .400 and hits 20 bombs. He looked good enough for the Mariners to select him in the Rule V, but decide to keep Vogelbach instead of Ford. He comes back to NY and struggles in AAA in 2017 and contemplates retiring. He signs on as a MiLB FA again and finds his 2017 form yet adds major league power. His first taste of big league baseball saw him OPS .909 with 12 bombs in 50 games.

The reason why I am giving his story here is that he is going to spend a lot of time with the Yanks on the active roster in 2020. With Gardner and Didi likely heading off into the wilderness, we will need left handed mashers. As of right now, the only player capable of hitting left handed in our starting lineup is a switch hitter in Hicks. Tauchman may be our starting LFer as well, so he adds some left handedness that is badly needed for a team playing in Yankee Stadium. And while it does help us vs the Red Sox, we have become entirely vulnerable to right handed strikeout pitchers.
    I remember when Yanees' fans said that about Kevin Maas.

guessing they all have tee times tonight.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    guessing they all have tee times tonight.....
    The golf course was closed. The Sox haven’t been replacing their divots the last three weeks so they needed to replace the sod

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The names are obviously right, but I do not agree with the roles. No way is Montgomery in the rotation while Happ is in the bullpen. I know you were impressed with Montgomery's 2.6 fWAR in his last year, but he gained that value as an innings-eater. But once an innings-eater has TJ surgery, you cannot count on that same value going forward. It's not like he was that great of a pitcher.

I think at some point Deivi Garcia will work his way into the bullpen, probably in a role created by moving Cessa, Heller, or (my choice) Loasigia...
    That’s not really true at all. TJS, for the majority of the guys who get it, is a setback but changes little. Montgomery is going to get every chance to win the 5th starter role. Now shoulder surgery is a crap shoot and I’m entirely on your side with that. But TJS, especially with him being almost 20 months beyond it by ST could actually make him stronger

Deity
    That’s not really true at all. TJS, for the majority of the guys who get it, is a setback but changes little. Montgomery is going to get every chance to win the 5th starter role. Now shoulder surgery is a crap shoot and I’m entirely on your side with that. But TJS, especially with him being almost 20 months beyond it by ST could actually make him stronger
    Or it could make him Jarrod Parker or Nathn Eovaldi.Historically, a TJ surgery has a shelf life of about 600 innings, and that's when nothing goes wrong. The Yankees might get 3 years out of Montgomery, but his value is in eating innings, not in being an outstanding pitcher. He's mediocre at best, and not likely to replace Happ in the rotation...