Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
We have plenty of potential. I don’t disagree there. But nothing blunts potential like expectations. If Sevy is to grow into an ace role, if German can be a decent human and keep his HR’s down, if Montgomery can be healthy and find a touch better command, if Tanaka can do what he does in the postseason all the time, if Paxton can stay healthy then this rotation takes the next step. But in order to do all of that or even some of it, we need a face of the rotation. That’s what getting CC in 09 was. Our rotation was led by CC. Didn’t matter that we had Pettitte and Burnett behind him, CC was THE guy. He was our stopped, our ace, our everything. With the current core of starters, we don’t have that. There is no stopped. It’s very “Next Man Up” style, but it doesn’t help in the playoffs against a juggernaut. I’m taking nothing away from the Astros. They were world champion level and added a future HOFer still pitching great. So they stacked their deck and kudos for going after it. But they’re gonna start to fall this offseason and with their fall will be our chance to rise. We need someone to lead that rotation in order to take that next step
Sevy was supposed to be "the face." The injury was unfortunate, and you guys had way more injuries beyond just him. I wouldn't get too down, considering all the missed time.

That being said, you are right. You need an ace. If Sevy is also one next year, then that's the true model for building a ring-worthy team. You've been telling us to follow your model of rebuilding. I'm telling you to follow ours for ring winning. Two aces = rings.

Pedro-Schilling

Beckett- Schilling

Lester- Lackey

Sale- Price

We never won with just one ace.