Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 286 to 295 of 295

Thread: 2020 Yankee Off-Season Thread

  1. #286
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    He is nothing more than an extra player in any trade, not a first or secondary piece in a trade for anything of value.
    ... which is why I thought it odd that someone thought he was good enough enticement to take on Happ's contract...

  2. #287
    I thought heíd be a good enough enticement to get the Brewers to absorb a little more money, thatís all. But there was an article about this move that made a ton of sense. Tarpley allowed a .168 BA to lefties but got destroyed by righties. With the new 3 batter rule going in, guys like Tarpley are going to become obsolete

  3. #288
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13,553
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I thought heíd be a good enough enticement to get the Brewers to absorb a little more money, thatís all. But there was an article about this move that made a ton of sense. Tarpley allowed a .168 BA to lefties but got destroyed by righties. With the new 3 batter rule going in, guys like Tarpley are going to become obsolete
    Not to mention, he was never much of an enticement anyway.

    The Giants took on Zack Cozartís contract to get first rounder Will Wilson. Cozart makes about 2/3 of what Happ makes. Translation - itís going to take an actual good prospect to get a team interested in Happ. Guys like Tarpley and Cessa wonít work. It might take someone more like Estevan Flovial, Everson Pereira or Clarke Schmidt...

  4. #289
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    30,617
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not to mention, he was never much of an enticement anyway.

    The Giants took on Zack Cozart’s contract to get first rounder Will Wilson. Cozart makes about 2/3 of what Happ makes. Translation - it’s going to take an actual good prospect to get a team interested in Happ. Guys like Tarpley and Cessa won’t work. It might take someone more like Estevan Flovial, Everson Pereira or Clarke Schmidt...
    The Giants- the only team to rival the Sox with WS victories, recently (3 in 5 years not too long ago) have a lot of dead weight and overpaid players, even after losing Bumgarner.

    Posey owed $45M+/2
    Cueto owed $47M+/2
    Longoria $59M/3
    Samardzija $19.8M/1
    B Belt $34.4M/2
    Crawford $30.3M/2
    Cozart $12.7M/1
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not to mention, he was never much of an enticement anyway.

    The Giants took on Zack Cozartís contract to get first rounder Will Wilson. Cozart makes about 2/3 of what Happ makes. Translation - itís going to take an actual good prospect to get a team interested in Happ. Guys like Tarpley and Cessa wonít work. It might take someone more like Estevan Flovial, Everson Pereira or Clarke Schmidt...
    Zach Cozart has been injured for two years and is coming off shoulder surgery

  6. #291
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13,553
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Zach Cozart has been injured for two years and is coming off shoulder surgery
    Heís also 3 years younger, makes $5mill less and was a 5fWAR player before his injuries.

    Youíve always stated Happ was a worthwhile gamble to return to his previous level. Cozart is even less of a gamble.

    Or - maybe youíre right and all some team needs to get excited about Happ is someone like Tarpley, Cessa or Holder. Of course, if thatís all it takes to shed $17mill, it does pose the obvious question about why it hasnít happened yet...
    Last edited by notin; 01-14-2020 at 11:20 AM.

  7. #292
    All-Star Carpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He’s also 3 years younger, makes $5mill less and was a 5fWAR player before his injuries.

    You’ve always stated Happ was a worthwhile gamble to return to his previous level. Cozart is even less of a gamble.

    Or - maybe you’re right and all some team needs to get excited about Happ is someone like Tarpley, Cessa or Holder. Of course, if that’s all it takes to shed $17mill, it does pose the obvious question about why it hasn’t happened yet...
    Holder and Cessa don't belong in the same group with Tarpley, these two had some level of success in the past few season, I'm willing to bet that Cessa will take a step up this season as one of the most reliable arms in the Yankees BP, Holder has still some injury concerns, Tarpley is just a guy who is just potential and no results for a couple years now

  8. #293
    All-Star bkzwhitestrican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,009
    Tarpley may end up being good down the line like some other castoffs with potential we've had (Kirby Yates, Gio Gallegos, Mark Melancon, James Pazos) but the Yankees are in win now mode and he has the least to offer out of any one else on the 40 man roster.

  9. #294
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Holder and Cessa don't belong in the same group with Tarpley, these two had some level of success in the past few season, I'm willing to bet that Cessa will take a step up this season as one of the most reliable arms in the Yankees BP, Holder has still some injury concerns, Tarpley is just a guy who is just potential and no results for a couple years now
    Cessa and Holder are certainly better than Tarpley, but I don't think any of the three will entice a team to take Happ's contract. And maybe that will work out to the Yankees advantage. Certainly they are aware of the effects of injuries by now and would be flat out stupid to not be prepared for them in 2020...

  10. #295
    All-Star Carpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Cessa and Holder are certainly better than Tarpley, but I don't think any of the three will entice a team to take Happ's contract. And maybe that will work out to the Yankees advantage. Certainly they are aware of the effects of injuries by now and would be flat out stupid to not be prepared for them in 2020...
    I agree, the Yankees will be selling low in all three if they trade them away this offseason (specially Cessa and Holder). There are things that you can be sure are coming, Death, taxes and injuries

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •