Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Yankee Off-Season Thread

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Not sure we need rotation depth. We have tons of it. We need a headliner. We donít need a #10
    Yeah, Red Sox looking like they need Johnson more than the Yankees right now. I'd take some IFA cash from the sox though

Deity
    We arenít DFAing Ben Heller. We held the guy on the 40 man through his entire TJS and looked pretty good on his way back. No point in DFAing him and watching him go elsewhere
    The Yankees kept him on the 40 man roster despite being out for the year with TJ surgery? That was silly.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Yankees kept him on the 40 man roster despite being out for the year with TJ surgery? That was silly.
    The guy prior to TJS was hitting 100 with an absolutely devastating slider. He is a keeper for sure. This is the year he should be back to 100%. If he doesn't return to that previous level, then you deal him or cut him
    The rebuild is complete.

Not sure we need rotation depth. We have tons of it. We need a headliner. We donít need a #10
    Here is our depth in real time

1. Severino
    2. Paxton
    3. Tanaka
    4. German
    5. Montgomery
    6. Happ
    7. D. Garcia
    8. Schmidt
    9. Cessa
    The rebuild is complete.

Yanks are in on Tim Hill. Soft tossing lefty murderer. He has four years of control left and would require some pain (read: prospects) to acquire. Not sure why we are going this route especially with the new MLB rules essentially making LOOGYís obsolete. Also, itís not like we lack quality left handed options.

Greg Bird clears waivers is officially a FA

A big wild card this time around is going to be Loaisiga. This kid has insane stuff. He just hasnít stayed healthy as a starter. Heís got the kind of wipeout stuff that he could suffice as the Betances replacement, especially since we got 2/3 of an inning from Dellin all of last year. My bet is we see him beaten out for a rotation spot in the spring and heís carried as a reliever and he dominates.

A big wild card this time around is going to be Loaisiga. This kid has insane stuff. He just hasn’t stayed healthy as a starter. He’s got the kind of wipeout stuff that he could suffice as the Betances replacement, especially since we got 2/3 of an inning from Dellin all of last year. My bet is we see him beaten out for a rotation spot in the spring and he’s carried as a reliever and he dominates.
    The problem with Loaisiga is that he has a very fragile frame he can't stay healthy, they can convert him full time to a RP and hope his body holds up the work load there

There are a lot of players like him who cannot stay healthy as starters and end up handling the smaller, more frequent workload better

Yanks are in on Treinen. Iíd rather look at him after his non tender than guarantee almost $8 mil towards him for 2020

The Phils are looking at Betances and a Romine. Both players we can replace internally. Philly is a weird spot for Romine with the Phils already having Realmuto and a ready top prospect behind him. Betances can make sense for anyone.

I have always held out hope that Betances came back to us, but after his infighting with management over his contract and after a frustrating 2019, I wouldnít be surprised if he wanted a clean break and a bigger role. I do wonder if Betances ends up in Chicago with the White Sox. The south siders are throwing around money thus far and really need a lock down reliever with Herrera on the fritz.

We can also replace him internally. We won 103 games without his presence and have a young kid looking pretty similar to Betances in terms of stuff and current direction. Dellin was drafted all the way back in 06 and was a failed starter. Loaisiga was signed 8 years ago and has had issues with consistency and injury as a starter. I do think Loaisiga ends up as a pretty premium relief arm.

As for Romine, we donít have the finances to allocate a good contract to him and with the dearth of good catching options out there and the fact that Higashioka is out of options, thereís no real place for Romine in the Bronx. If Romine plays his cards right, he can sign a nice contract (3 yrs $21-$24 mil) somewhere to be a starter, he just might need to do that on a team with limited post season chances

The Phils are looking at Betances and a Romine. Both players we can replace internally. Philly is a weird spot for Romine with the Phils already having Realmuto and a ready top prospect behind him. Betances can make sense for anyone.

I have always held out hope that Betances came back to us, but after his infighting with management over his contract and after a frustrating 2019, I wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted a clean break and a bigger role. I do wonder if Betances ends up in Chicago with the White Sox. The south siders are throwing around money thus far and really need a lock down reliever with Herrera on the fritz.

We can also replace him internally. We won 103 games without his presence and have a young kid looking pretty similar to Betances in terms of stuff and current direction. Dellin was drafted all the way back in 06 and was a failed starter. Loaisiga was signed 8 years ago and has had issues with consistency and injury as a starter. I do think Loaisiga ends up as a pretty premium relief arm.

As for Romine, we don’t have the finances to allocate a good contract to him and with the dearth of good catching options out there and the fact that Higashioka is out of options, there’s no real place for Romine in the Bronx. If Romine plays his cards right, he can sign a nice contract (3 yrs $21-$24 mil) somewhere to be a starter, he just might need to do that on a team with limited post season chances
    The question is: which team is looking for a starting catcher? if so, do they have the financial flexibility to land him?

So far the Rays and the Pirates are looking for a starting catcher and none of them have a lot of money to spend in that position

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    The question is: which team is looking for a starting catcher? if so, do they have the financial flexibility to land him?

So far the Rays and the Pirates are looking for a starting catcher and none of them have a lot of money to spend in that position
    I think you can add the Rangers and Angels in as looking for catching help. maybe even the Rockies. and im sure there are more teams.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post

And Romine won't be getting 3 year $21mill. THat's basically the contract Ottavino and Joe Kelly got, and no one likely to befall a career backup catcher. Even former all-star Wilson Ramos got neither those years not money. Last off-season, former Gold Glover Martin Maldonado settled for a 1 year $2.5mill contract. Kurt Suzuki got 2 years $10mill. Romine's career falls short of both of theirs, so don;t expect that much for him...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And Romine won't be getting 3 year $21mill. THat's basically the contract Ottavino and Joe Kelly got, and no one likely to befall a career backup catcher. Even former all-star Wilson Ramos got neither those years not money. Last off-season, former Gold Glover Martin Maldonado settled for a 1 year $2.5mill contract. Kurt Suzuki got 2 years $10mill. Romine's career falls short of both of theirs, so don;t expect that much for him...
    I agree with you on the salary, but I'm sure Romine is looking for a starting job. The angels could be a good fit for him