Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox release Steven Wright

Legend

Red Sox release Steven Wright

... according to Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald:

https://twitter.com/JMastrodonato/st...50965429116929

Not surprising, but he was probably our best 5th starter heading into 2020.
    Sox 4 Ever

Thanks Farrell.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    This is about as surprising as the sun rising in the east...

Deity
    Thanks Farrell.
    Farrell didn't microfracture Wright's knee. That was the injury that really did him in.

And at some point, Wright did commit the actual dive back into the base. Pitchers pinch run all the time without doing stupid maneuvers like that. So while (and I said this at the time) Drew Pomeranz would have been a better choice since he had pinch run earlier that year for San Diego, Wright did injure himself...

Farrell didn't microfracture Wright's knee. That was the injury that really did him in.

And at some point, Wright did commit the actual dive back into the base. Pitchers pinch run all the time without doing stupid maneuvers like that. So while (and I said this at the time) Drew Pomeranz would have been a better choice since he had pinch run earlier that year for San Diego, Wright did injure himself...
    It's like blaming the Sox manager for HRam getting hurt in LF.
    Sox 4 Ever

Pedro's legs went as he was compensating for his shoulder woes. All we know is that Wright had the apex of his career the night before the fateful Farrell decision. That's what we know. Draw your own conclusions.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's like blaming the Sox manager for HRam getting hurt in LF.
    I blame Ben for that. It was obvious to everyone in Fort Myers that HanRam was not an Outfielder.

I blame Ben for that. It was obvious to everyone in Fort Myers that HanRam was not an Outfielder.
    When we signed HRam, I said to myself, "Good. We now have a 3Bman." Then, we signed Pablo- like what 15 minutes later? And I thought, "WTF?"

I've found myself defending Ben more than he deserves, but that was truly a "Thanks, Ben" decision.
    Sox 4 Ever

Pity. He had some real potential
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    It was actually beyond potential. He was proven to be very effective when healthy.

2016: Team went 15-9 in his 24 starts (3.33 ERA), including a 14 game stretch where he had a 2.01 ERA.

2018: After his first 2 games: 2.31 ERA (13-5 in games he pitched in)

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Pedro's legs went as he was compensating for his shoulder woes. All we know is that Wright had the apex of his career the night before the fateful Farrell decision. That's what we know. Draw your own conclusions.
    Pedro also threw significantly harder.

So correlation = causation?

He was 31 years old and having a career year, but he was as inconsistent as most knuckleballers. The previous season, his ERA was over 5.00. And he was an idiot for diving back into that base...

Pedro also threw significantly harder.

So correlation = causation?

He was 31 years old and having a career year, but he was as inconsistent as most knuckleballers. The previous season, his ERA was over 5.00. And he was an idiot for diving back into that base...
    Injuries are complex and favoring one thing can cause an injury to another part. Pedro was just an example. We don't know if the original injury to Wright resulted in the additional injuries. We only know that the shoulder injury occurred at the peak of his effectiveness thanks to Farrell.

He was a PED user and a wife beater. Fuck him.
    other names i have posted under: none