Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Sox release Steven Wright

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    OK I have to stand up for one thing here.

There's no evidence that he hit her AFAIK. If anyone has facts to the contrary let's see them.

I would certainly hope that the case would not have been handled the way it was, with the charges being conditionally dismissed, if his wife had signs of being beaten up when the cops arrived.
    He's always maintained that he never laid a hand on her, and to my knowledge, that's never been contradicted by anyone...not that we've ever gotten to hear the wife's side of the story, however. The charges were domestic assault and preventing a 911 call...clearly something went on, and it wasn't good.

At the end of the day, though, this is a league where Chapman and Osuna are still carrying on productive, lucrative careers... Wright's greatest crime was not being able to stay healthy for 5 minutes.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No doubt.

But we also might have reached the point with Wright where the 40 man roster spot was more valuable than the player...
    I doubt it had much to do with the 40-man spot. The Red Sox need every CBT dollar they can scrounge up at this point and didn't want to pay $1.5 million for a guy who wasn't going to throw a pitch in 2020...I don't think much explanation is needed beyond that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I doubt it had much to do with the 40-man spot. The Red Sox need every CBT dollar they can scrounge up at this point and didn't want to pay $1.5 million for a guy who wasn't going to throw a pitch in 2020...I don't think much explanation is needed beyond that.
    Also true. And not in conflict with what I said...

All-Star
    Also true. And not in conflict with what I said...
    No, it's not. Wasn't trying to contradict you...just thinking out loud here, really.

No doubt.

But we also might have reached the point with Wright where the 40 man roster spot was more valuable than the player...
    We will have 5-8 slots on the 40 man roster that are near useless, next year.

I just don't think that the 40 man roster slot was any part of the equation.

Wright will have TJ surgery and his team control ended after 2020. Case closed.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Both of those actions occurred outside of the 3 hours x 162 that wright was on the ballfield. I believe a man is responsible for his own actions in that case....
    I like to thank Farrell for the role he played.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I like to thank Farrell for the role he played.
    For what? The hundredth time?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    For what? The hundredth time?
    I don't thank Farrell for much, just when Wright's name comes up, and I don't expect that will happen much in the future. Farrell deserves a lot more sarcasm than for the Wright situation. He was such a dope.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I don't thank Farrell for much, just when Wright's name comes up, and I don't expect that will happen much in the future. Farrell deserves a lot more sarcasm than for the Wright situation. He was such a dope.
    I can't disagree on this, despite how much I enjoy disagreeing with you.

Putting Wright in to run there was definitely Neuronic.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhorn04 View Post
    putting wright in to run there was definitely neuronic.
    lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Putting Wright in to run there was definitely Neuronic.
    He was prone to making dumb moves.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    He was prone to making dumb moves.
    Spud is back!