Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: Puig ?Castellanos ? Trade Benny and Mookie

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Dombrowski was reportedly offered Puig for Bradley straight up 2 years ago and rejected it. Which means at least 2 GMs preferred Bradley over Puig...
    Can I make the argument that with Puig we may have been a better team ? I don’t know JBJ is an incredibly Gifted player but I think for the 20 season beyond I like the acquisition of Puig.JBJ can be retained now and Puig can replace Betts .puig is not Mookie but he’s pretty damn good replacement.I don’t need validation it’s just a gut thing with me on fit ...Cora is the factor .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 10-20-2019 at 11:52 AM.

  2. #17
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Is puig kinda dumb ? Stubborn ? Hell yes .is he hard to cOach ? Yup he is .Puig has been tardy ? Yes .Puig a bad person ? Hellllll no ! Is he described as electric by his team the fans ???? Helll yes .Do we have a coach that understands and relates to Dominican Hispanic ball players ?????ummm without a doubt .Puig plus Cora is Magic time .Moon I respect you greatly on ball players but we won’t agree on the fit here I can see
    He sets a poor example for young players, and we should have a lot of them in the next few years.

    The uptick in offense over JBJ is barely enough to offset everything else.

    Who has these OPS over the last 5 years?

    (I jumbled up the sequences.)

    Player A:
    740, 758, 785, 820, 833 (.792 combined in 2304 PAs)

    Player B:
    717, 726, 738, 832, 835 (.765 combined in 2229 PAs)

    Yes, player A is Puig, but he beats out JBJ by under 30 points.

    Just say No.

    We need to get younger, smarter, and going with a 29 year old distraction is not my idea of a rebuild.

    Sox 4 Ever

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Sox will probably have neither next year...
    Jbj and Puig both can be here but then it’s about trading Benny or another player .I have no idea what Benny will become .Castellanos is a butcher in the outfield but rakes .I just think with the pitching we have we have to pound the daylights out of the ball .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 10-20-2019 at 11:59 AM.

  4. #19
    Super Moderator Jasonbay44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    16,430
    1. Trading Benni this off season makes no sense. He's still cheap and selling low on someone with his talent would be stupid.

    2. Hard pass on Puig. He's mediocre fielder and is more trouble than he's worth. He's been in multiple altercations with teammates, caused numerous issues, been suspended numerous times, etc.

    I like Puig, but I prefer watching him on other teams and thinking its funny, I don't necessarily want to watch those issues on the Red Sox

  5. #20
    Everyone has an opinion on Puig .He is a polarizing figure .Benny just frustrates me a lot the guy looks like he’s the second coming of Freddie and then disappears to me .No the likelihood of dealing Benny is
    Low .I guess when push comes to shove ? Gun to my head ? I choose JBJ over Benny .I do think Puig can do a damn good job replacing Mookie for a couple years .Castellanos is a DH I get that also and is a butcher with a Glove. But can he be a good replacement for JDM ? I think that swing plays very well at Fenway .

  6. #21
    When was the last time the Red Sox signed a 28-year-old righthand-hitting free agent outfielder who last played for the Cleveland Indians?

  7. #22
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    12,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Can I make the argument that with Puig we may have been a better team ? I don’t know JBJ is an incredibly Gifted player but I think for the 20 season beyond I like the acquisition of Puig.JBJ can be retained now and Puig can replace Betts .puig is not Mookie but he’s pretty damn good replacement.I don’t need validation it’s just a gut thing with me on fit ...Cora is the factor .
    The grass is always greener, I guess.

    So you’re arguing that the Sox should replace the career .796 OPS of Benintendi with the career .797 OPS of Castellanos? And only for a mere $10 million more per year?

  8. #23
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    12,109
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    When was the last time the Red Sox signed a 28-year-old righthand-hitting free agent outfielder who last played for the Cleveland Indians?
    After the 2000 season. And he was awesome...

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He sets a poor example for young players, and we should have a lot of them in the next few years.

    The uptick in offense over JBJ is barely enough to offset everything else.

    Who has these OPS over the last 5 years?

    (I jumbled up the sequences.)

    Player A:
    740, 758, 785, 820, 833 (.792 combined in 2304 PAs)

    Player B:
    717, 726, 738, 832, 835 (.765 combined in 2229 PAs)

    Yes, player A is Puig, but he beats out JBJ by under 30 points.

    Just say No.

    We need to get younger, smarter, and going with a 29 year old distraction is not my idea of a rebuild.

    Moon I know Manny did some really shady crap here right and also sabotaged his HOFER career ...With that said if you could do it all over again ? Wouldn’t you ?I would .Puig needs a Cora To put his career into a stratosphere maybe only a few see in him .I see the pact here with these two men that maybe the rest of the planet does not .I don’t mind going the way less traveled and believe people do change under the right leadership and having a true mentor .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 10-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.

  10. #25
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Moon I know Manny did some really shady crap here right and also sabotaged his HOFER career ...With that said if you could do it all over again ? Wouldn’t you ?I would .Puig needs a Cora To put his career into a stratosphere know one can see coming .I see the pact here with these two men that maybe the rest of the planet does not .I don’t mind going the way less traveled and believe people do change under the right leadership and having a true mentor .
    Comparing Puig to Manny is disgusting. You lost me on that one.

    Manny worked his butt off. He was almost always the first one to the park and the last to leave. His work ethic was a model for every young player.

    Yes, he was a boy in a man's body. He made some of the same mistakes as Puig- like not running some balls out or mental blunders, but he was a beast who had a calm intensity that was a huge asset to the team.

    I see no need to pin our hopes on us being able to coach Puig into greatness. We have other things to focus on.

    Puig is on the decline.

    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #26
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    63,045
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Comparing Puig to Manny is disgusting. You lost me on that one.

    Manny worked his butt off. He was almost always the first one to the park and the last to leave. His work ethic was a model for every young player.

    Yes, he was a boy in a man's body. He made some of the same mistakes as Puig- like not running some balls out or mental blunders, but he was a beast who had a calm intensity that was a huge asset to the team.

    I see no need to pin our hopes on us being able to coach Puig into greatness. We have other things to focus on.

    Puig is on the decline.

    Which Manny?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    It's the bullpen, stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  12. #27
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Which Manny?
    The Manny all the way up to his last year here.

    Puig can't carry Manny's jock- not even 2 feet.

    Sox 4 Ever

  13. #28
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    63,045
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The Manny all the way up to his last year here.

    Puig can't carry Manny's jock- not even 2 feet.

    Manny and Puig in the same sentence is silly.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    It's the bullpen, stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The grass is always greener, I guess.

    So you’re arguing that the Sox should replace the career .796 OPS of Benintendi with the career .797 OPS of Castellanos? And only for a mere $10 million more per year?
    LMAO love Notin lol yes I guess I did say that .Can I switch Casty to DH though ?

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Manny and Puig in the same sentence is silly.

    Come on guys that’s not what I’m trying to say .I guess my point is Manny and Puig are both flawed and both talented both have treated clubhouse attendants poor and both are very talented but both had holes on D .Manny is always a HOFER to me steroids or not but I’m in the minority here on this ...I also thinkBonds ,Clemens deserved first ballot status .Puig needs Fenway and Boston more than we need him for sure .Love the player for Redsox but I see I’m well out numbered.Manny was a savant Puig is just a freak athlete .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 10-20-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •