Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Many have given up on JBJ but what about Benny ?

Many have given up on JBJ but what about Benny ?

Is this all Benny is ? He’s a guy we all thought would be amazing .I know Benny is cheap and the guy is a great person but should we be looking to cash out if the price is right ? What would you want for Benny ? Sorry for so many topics just have so many questions this off-season .

Deity
    Nothing.

Betts is a serious trade candidate. Bradley is a non-tender or trade candidate. And the Sox have one outfield prospect who might be able to play next year if they rush him.

They might need to hold on to at least one outfielder....

Beni is 25; he had a bad offensive year in 2019 and it was still superior to all but one of JBJ’s full seasons. He has shown that he is willing to change things up when they aren’t going so well (Bradley has said he will not alter his approach no matter what). He also will cost about 1/4 of what Bradley will this year. If Benintendi continues to scuffle for a couple more years like he did this one as his salary rises, then it becomes a different story.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Beni is 25; he had a bad offensive year in 2019 and it was still superior to all but one of JBJ’s full seasons. He has shown that he is willing to change things up when they aren’t going so well (Bradley has said he will not alter his approach no matter what). He also will cost about 1/4 of what Bradley will this year. If Benintendi continues to scuffle for a couple more years like he did this one as his salary rises, then it becomes a different story.
    Fair points .I guess I’d rather Keep JBJ and see what we could get for Benny .I know JBJ will be the greatest Defensive CF in my lifetime and he drives me insane with his cold streaks .I guess I’m in the JBJ boat again .I wonder what the pitching staff thinks ?
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 10-21-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Nothing.

Betts is a serious trade candidate. Bradley is a non-tender or trade candidate. And the Sox have one outfield prospect who might be able to play next year if they rush him.

They might need to hold on to at least one outfielder....
    Not sure I’d say nothing but it would have to be an overwhelming offer. For example, if the O’s were dumb enough to offer Mancini, I’d strongly consider it.

Two reasons not to trade Benny: 1. he's still a few years away from free agency so the exact kind of cost-efficient player needed on a club trying to lower payroll; and 2. he's still young enough with enough tools to rebound and develop into an impact player. Remember, he only played two years in college and basically one total season in the minors before being tabbed the number one prospect in baseball by both Baseball American and MLB.com.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Two reasons not to trade Benny: 1. he's still a few years away from free agency so the exact kind of cost-efficient player needed on a club trying to lower payroll; and 2. he's still young enough with enough tools to rebound and develop into an impact player. Remember, he only played two years in college and basically one total season in the minors before being tabbed the number one prospect in baseball by both Baseball American and MLB.com.
    Yup this is what I run into every time I broach it .I think you and the Redsox ultimately keep him and it’s safe and smart .

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Another thing is the Sox will be able to give him coaching and he is likely to work closely because he was pretty bad in the second half. Remember, for two weeks he seem to really get it and then he lost it. I partially blame the coaqching for that.

Deity
    Not sure I’d say nothing but it would have to be an overwhelming offer. For example, if the O’s were dumb enough to offer Mancini, I’d strongly consider it.
    While stupidity happens, it's even stupider to count on it.

baseballtradevalues.com gives Bradley a surplus trade value of $1.2 milllion. That same site gives Mancini a surplus trade value of $19.7million. With Bradley having one year left at $10-12mill and Mancini reaching arbitration for the first time this offseason, this deal could not make less sense for the bottom-feeding Orioles. Unless the Red Sox did something equally stupid, like included Dalbec...

baseballtradevalues.com gives Bradley a surplus trade value of $1.2 milllion. That same site gives Mancini a surplus trade value of $19.7million. With Bradley having one year left at $10-12mill and Mancini reaching arbitration for the first time this offseason, this deal could not make less sense for the bottom-feeding Orioles. Unless the Red Sox did something equally stupid, like included Dalbec...
    I thought the idea was so lop-sided, he meant Beni for Mancini.
    Sox 4 Ever

It was not a serious proposal. Ghost seems hellbent on trading Beni and asked what you/we (collectively) would want for AB. You responded nothing. I merely gave an absurd example of what it might take to change that nothing to something, because for both you and me and 99% of this board, that’s the kind of over the top thing it would take right now.

Deity
    It was not a serious proposal. Ghost seems hellbent on trading Beni and asked what you/we (collectively) would want for AB. You responded nothing. I merely gave an absurd example of what it might take to change that nothing to something, because for both you and me and 99% of this board, that’s the kind of over the top thing it would take right now.
    I somehow interpreted your proposal to be a trade of Bradley for Mancini. Chalk up my mistake to a temporary bout of complete illiteracy.

But the Sox shouldn't trade Benintendi. Especially if Betts and Bradley are not coming back. Even if they get back one OF like Mancini for Benintendi (which is a lopsided deal in favor of Baltimore - NOT an overwhelming offer for Boston), it's not like the Sox have an abundance of outfielders in the minors. The idea of a outfield with Mancini, Cole Sturgeon, and Rusney Castillo is tantamount to screaming "We surrender" loud enough to be heard at both poles simultaneously. And Jarren Duran doesn't change this.

And I wouldn't trade Benintendi for Mancini at gunpoint...

Beni seems to be the classic “underperforming” player who may need a change of scenery. The boston media hates him for some reason. Maybe they thought they were getting Trout instead of Trot. Beni has been valuable for you, but more is still in there. I don’t deal Beni if I’m in charge of the Sox. He’s mid 20’s, has produced well despite expectations and is entering his prime. I also don’t extend Beni. He’s the guy you want to play out his arbitration and see where the chips fall

No decisions to be made until they figure Betts out. You can move Benny if Betts stays (or just keep him since he’s cheap right now).

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    No decisions to be made until they figure Betts out. You can move Benny if Betts stays (or just keep him since he’s cheap right now).
    The first big decision comes from JDM.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.