Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Red Sox GM: salary dump time!

Playing Red Sox GM: salary dump time!

I’m trading away Price, Eovaldi, and JBJ. Those moves alone saves the Sox 60m in yearly salary. We might need to throw in sweetners to move price and eovaldi but it’s worth it to get them off the books. We might even save enough money to resign/extend Betts.

If you’re in charge, who do you dump?

Quote Originally Posted by VJCPatriot View Post
    I’m trading away Price, Eovaldi, and JBJ. Those moves alone saves the Sox 60m in yearly salary. We might need to throw in sweetners to move price and eovaldi but it’s worth it to get them off the books. We might even save enough money to resign/extend Betts.

If you’re in charge, who do you dump?
    Going to be tough sell but I see what your doing .

It's easy to just say, "Trade Price & Eovaldi." Are you for it or against it?

How much salary are we chipping in? Are we adding some decent talent or prospects to the deals to get someone to take them without us paying so much? If so, who?

Also, we can just non tender JBJ, so we don't need to trade him to cut salary.

We would not "save $60M" unless we trade Betts with Price and Beni with Eovaldi. Am I for that? No.

I do think we should explore any interest in these guys, but unless we can save a lot of money by trading them, and don't lose significant players as add-ons, I'm thinking we may be better off hoping and praying they bounce back and either increase their future trade value or help us win more in the next 3 years.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's easy to just say, "Trade Price & Eovaldi." Are you for it or against it?

How much salary are we chipping in? Are we adding some decent talent or prospects to the deals to get someone to take them without us paying so much? If so, who?

Also, we can just non tender JBJ, so we don't need to trade him to cut salary.

We would not "save $60M" unless we trade Betts with Price and Beni with Eovaldi. Am I for that? No.

I do think we should explore any interest in these guys, but unless we can save a lot of money by trading them, and don't lose significant players as add-ons, I'm thinking we may be better off hoping and praying they bounce back and either increase their future trade value or help us win more in the next 3 years.
    According to this website, the surplus values of Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi would not be enough to offset the negative trade values of David Price and Nathan Eovaldi:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

I don't think Price is movable with his contract, unless we eating almost all of the money, and/or including premium talent. Its probably not going to be worth it to trade him. I think we all knew the Price contract would have some bad years on it and they're just gonna have to deal with it. This is why long term contracts, especially for players in their 30's are dangerous, but overall, I think Price's contract can be viewed as a success. He was incredibly clutch in the playoffs and helped them win a world series.

Eovaldi on the other hand is looking like a horrendous investment.

only 1 of those guys is tradeable and technically he isn't even on our books for next season.
    DD made the deal with the devil for Price. we have to live with it.
    other names i have posted under: none

"We might need to throw in sweetners to move price and eovaldi"

That's funny stuff.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    "We might need to throw in sweetners to move price and eovaldi"

That's funny stuff.
    sweetners = 90% of the contract $$
    that sound about right?
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    sweetners = 90% of the contract $$
    that sound about right?
    Yep, that sort of mucho dinero in sweetners.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    According to this website, the surplus values of Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi would not be enough to offset the negative trade values of David Price and Nathan Eovaldi:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/
    That same website had Price having roughly the same value as Wil Myers, which might be a deal that makes sense for both teams under certain conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That same website had Price having roughly the same value as Wil Myers, which might be a deal that makes sense for both teams under certain conditions...
    Myer is owed: 20:$20M, 21:$20M, 22:$20M, 23:$20M club option ($1M buyout).

That could be $61M/3 compared to Price's $96M/3.

The luxury hit is only $14M as compared to price's $31M.

I'd do it. Myers can play 1B and OF. We need both positions.

With the saved money, Bloom can find a couple lower cost gems to fill the 4-5 slots for Price & Porcello.

Throw in Travis & Johnson.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 10-28-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Myer is owed: 20:$20M, 21:$20M, 22:$20M, 23:$20M club option ($1M buyout).

That could be $61M/3 compared to price's $66M/3.

The luxury hit is only $14M as compared to price's $31M.

I'd do it. Myers can play 1B and OF. We need both positions.

With the saved money, Bloom can find a couple lower cost gems to fill the 4-5 slots for Price & Porcello.

Throw in Travis & Johnson.
    For the record, Price is owed $96mill over the next 3 years, not $66mill.. It's worth it for the $17mill savings towards the luxury tax...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    For the record, Price is owed $96mill over the next 3 years, not $66mill.. It's worth it for the $17mill savings towards the luxury tax...
    Yes, my bad. 3 x $32=96.

Even without the luxury tax savings, I might still do this deal.

I'd even pitch in $5-7M a year to help off set the difference. We'd still save $10-12M on the luxury tax budget. I think Bloom can make that $12M go a long way.

Here's a crazy idea for you guys

Send Betts and Price to the Padres and take back Will Myers and you maximize the prospects you get back in return dumping Price at the same time

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Here's a crazy idea for you guys

Send Betts and Price to the Padres and take back Will Myers and you maximize the prospects you get back in return dumping Price at the same time
    So the Padres take on a net of over $40mill in salary and that somehow maximizes the prospect return? Over just trading Betts?

I would deal Price for Myers and perhaps try to extend the deal for some of the Padres 40 man roster crunch prospects for some of Boston’s not needing protection. But deal Betts seperately...