Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Dave Bush hired as pitching coach

Can't wait to win another World Series.
    Elktondick doesn't post because he has nothing to bitch about.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    DD's strategy was win now and the hell with remaining competitive on a sustainable basis. The Sox ownership went along but now have decided on a different path, which is, get back to being competitive on a sustainable basis. I hope they will take the chance of overspending when they look like they have a real chance of winning it all.
    The major flaw in DD' plan to ignore the future was the future gt here faster than expected. If the Sox been in position to make the playoffs, would he have been fired at that time? And if they did make the post-season, would he have been fired at all? This is all hypothetical, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    These allegations seem a bit odd when you consider how long DD has been around. Maybe he started drinking heavily or something.
    Quite frankly, I think baseball at the front office level is pretty much a very tight circle. Personality issues rarely see the light of day. A former classmate of my mine who played a number years at the major League told me there is lot that goes on as to why players and others may come and go that have absolutely nothing to do with performance and never see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I might argue Duquette left the Red Sox with a “great farm.”

Prior to his last season in 2001, the top prospects were Brad Baker (BA #76), the late Dernell Stenson (BA #77), and Tony Blanco (BA #87). After that season, the farm was headlined by Seung Song (BA #60) and Tony Blanco (BA #93).

Only Hanley Ramirez (BA #19 in 2003) remained among Duquette prospects to make a significant impact in the majors. After he left, the Sox added players like Jon Lester and Anibal Sanchez who became much better major leaguers...
    Anibal Sanchez was signed by Dan D as an IFA.

Maybe it wasn't as good as I remembered, but you left quite a few guys off Dan D's list of prospects left for Theo:

HRam & A Sanchez (Traded by Theo for Beckett & Lowell)
    Freddy Sanchez (Traded by Theo for Jeff Suppan)
    Youkilis
    Shoppach
    Jorge de la Rosa & Fossum (traded by Theo for Schilling)
    Delcarmen

He is most known for leaving Theo a fine core of solid players- some drafted, some traded for:
    Pedro
    Manny
    Damon
    VTek
    DLowe
    Nomar (Traded for OCab)
    Wakefield
    and others

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But Kimmi, if we do that we also have to take away a lot of Ben's credit for 2013.

The 2013 team was made up of players inherited from Theo plus a few key free agent acquisitions.

Why do we have to play the discredit game at all?
    I am really not trying to play the discredit game. I am trying to give credit where credit is due, to Cherington, who rarely gets the credit he deserves.

At least Cherington was part of the team during the Theo years, and presumably had a hand in building the team that Theo left.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The major flaw in DD' plan to ignore the future was the future gt here faster than expected. If the Sox been in position to make the playoffs, would he have been fired at that time? And if they did make the post-season, would he have been fired at all? This is all hypothetical, of course...
    I don't think Dombrowski deserved to be fired over the team's record this season. That was not his fault.

That said, I am pleased that Dombrowski is gone, and that Henry appears to be headed back to the path that he was on with each of his other GMs, and back to the team building philosophy that I have always advocated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't think Dombrowski deserved to be fired over the team's record this season. That was not his fault.

That said, I am pleased that Dombrowski is gone, and that Henry appears to be headed back to the path that he was on with each of his other GMs, and back to the team building philosophy that I have always advocated.
    Can’t be better said .