Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloom and promoting young players .

Bloom and promoting young players .

What are your thoughts of Bloom being more aggressive in promoting pitchers like ward sooner rather than later to help the big club ? I hope he’s more aggressive myself .

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    What are your thoughts of Bloom being more aggressive in promoting pitchers like ward sooner rather than later to help the big club ? I hope he’s more aggressive myself .
    I hope he promotes them when they are ready- kind of like we've been doing for a long time. I've never felt like we've left guys in the minors too long or too short. I don't think it's been a problem, and I doubt it will become one.

Ward is not ML ready right now, but he may be at some point soon. I hope he is, but I don't want us to rush him. If 2020 is truly a rebuild year, that makes waiting until 2021 easier.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I hope he promotes them when they are ready- kind of like we've been doing for a long time. I've never felt like we've left guys in the minors too long or too short. I don't think it's been a problem, and I doubt it will become one.

Ward is not ML ready right now, but he may be at some point soon. I hope he is, but I don't want us to rush him. If 2020 is truly a rebuild year, that makes waiting until 2021 easier.
    I agree to a point Moon .I guess there is a certain pitcher I’d like to see run through the ranks in Thad Ward and I’m projecting my own want above the teams .

All-Star
    Too many MLB pitchers are arriving too early... thus the horde of one inning guys. These newbies are just good enough to be trusted for one inning as in one and out. If Bloom did some of this in TB and got away with it, it was because he had to. Here, he won't have that loophole, so he'll make sure these guys are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Too many MLB pitchers are arriving too early... thus the horde of one inning guys. These newbies are just good enough to be trusted for one inning as in one and out. If Bloom did some of this in TB and got away with it, it was because he had to. Here, he won't have that loophole, so he'll make sure these guys are ready.
    Yeah because our pitching has been so much better.....NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    I agree to a point Moon .I guess there is a certain pitcher I’d like to see run through the ranks in Thad Ward and I’m projecting my own want above the teams .
    I'm very optimistic with this kid, but let's not mess him up by rushing him or keeping him down too long. I trust the Sox to know when the right time is.

I don't think we've ruined any pitchers by doing either one wrongly.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    My thoughts are, not like I have idea when these guys should be promoted anyway.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm very optimistic with this kid, but let's not mess him up by rushing him or keeping him down too long. I trust the Sox to know when the right time is.

I don't think we've ruined any pitchers by doing either one wrongly.
    I think Mata will move up some time this coming season. He has the stuff to be a starter. Like all young pitchers it will be consistency and command that will determine when he comes up.

I also think Dalbec will be up early in the season with Chatham a definite possibility, perhaps in a utility role. A lot will depend on what happens with out outfield with the potential loss of two major starters from 2019. Duran is knocking on the door with superior speed and a good bat. Dalbec and Moreland, if we resign him, might try to fill the DH role. I am against signing Encarnacion, even for a single year although other DH candidates might be attractive. All depends on JDM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I think Mata will move up some time this coming season. He has the stuff to be a starter. Like all young pitchers it will be consistency and command that will determine when he comes up.
    I think it’s very possible Mata makes his debut in the 2020 season, but hopefully not until July at the earliest.

I also think Dalbec will be up early in the season with Chatham a definite possibility, perhaps in a utility role.
    I see Dalbec as either trade bait or taking over 3b with Devers moving to 1b. A big part of Dalbec’s game is his defense at 3b, which will be a positive contribution even if he struggles offensively. I doubt Chatham is on the radar. The Sox already have Marco Hernandez and Tzu-Wei Lin, both of whom are capable and more experienced utility players, and Chatham doesn’t need to be added to the 40 man roster yet

A lot will depend on what happens with out outfield with the potential loss of two major starters from 2019. Duran is knocking on the door with superior speed and a good bat.
    Duran doesn’t need to be added to the 40 man roster, either. And has only been playing outfield for one year. While the Sox are likely to need outfielders, I’m not sure Duran is a candidate yet. Or if he is ahead of Marcus Wilson, who has more outfield experience.

Dalbec and Moreland, if we resign him, might try to fill the DH role. I am against signing Encarnacion, even for a single year although other DH candidates might be attractive. All depends on JDM.
    I don’t like Dalbec (again, good defense wasted at DH) or Moreland for a DH role. The aging Encarnacion might be a good short term DH, and has always expressed a desire to come to Boston and succeed fellow countryman Ortiz at DH. He might even come at relative bargain price...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think it’s very possible Mata makes his debut in the 2020 season, but hopefully not until July at the earliest.

I see Dalbec as either trade bait or taking over 3b with Devers moving to 1b. A big part of Dalbec’s game is his defense at 3b, which will be a positive contribution even if he struggles offensively. I doubt Chatham is on the radar. The Sox already have Marco Hernandez and Tzu-Wei Lin, both of whom are capable and more experienced utility players, and Chatham doesn’t need to be added to the 40 man roster yet

Duran doesn’t need to be added to the 40 man roster, either. And has only been playing outfield for one year. While the Sox are likely to need outfielders, I’m not sure Duran is a candidate yet. Or if he is ahead of Marcus Wilson, who has more outfield experience.

I don’t like Dalbec (again, good defense wasted at DH) or Moreland for a DH role. The aging Encarnacion might be a good short term DH, and has always expressed a desire to come to Boston and succeed fellow countryman Ortiz at DH. He might even come at relative bargain price...
    I don't think Duran or Chatham will be added to the 40 man roster by opening day, but with so many weak players on the roster, they could easily earn their way to it by playing well in AAA to start the 2020 season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Devers moved to 1B, but I'd want to make sure Dalbec is worth possibly messing with Devers' position. I'm not sure how we do that. I agree, DH'ing Dalbec makes little sense and playing him at 1B or 2B seems twisted.

As much as I want our farm to be built up, trading Dalbec might make the most sense but only for an equally young, cost-controlled player who plays a position we have a great need.
    Sox 4 Ever

"As much as I want our farm to be built up, trading Dalbec might make the most sense but only for an equally young, cost-controlled player who plays a position we have a great need."

Agreed, but his status may just depend on what happens with JD and Mookie. Dalbec as a cost-controlled DH could appeal to Bloom and save 15-20 mil that would be spent on someone like the parrot as a JD replacement. Dalbec as a high-powered, low-contact bat is also redundant with Chavis... so maybe one of those two gets dealt, while the other plays second base. Or, as a way to both give players a day off from defense and get the right match-ups with opposing pitchers, they could alternate through the field with others (Devers included), at 1st, 2nd, 3rd and DH -- like Tampa's guys.

One change that has been unexpected in this age of less ground balls, more balls in the air, and defensive shifts is that second base has become less important as a position. Batters grounded into double plays in 2019 at a rate of 7% less than 2013, when Pedroia's defense keyed a title, and 15% less than 2007, when Pedroia was ROY on another title team. Now, anyone can stand in short right, handle one-hop liners and shot put 20-foot throws to first. The Brewers made the last two postseasons platooning guys like Moustakas and Travis Shaw at second.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    "As much as I want our farm to be built up, trading Dalbec might make the most sense but only for an equally young, cost-controlled player who plays a position we have a great need."

Agreed, but his status may just depend on what happens with JD and Mookie. Dalbec as a cost-controlled DH could appeal to Bloom and save 15-20 mil that would be spent on someone like the parrot as a JD replacement. Dalbec as a high-powered, low-contact bat is also redundant with Chavis... so maybe one of those two gets dealt, while the other plays second base. Or, as a way to both give players a day off from defense and get the right match-ups with opposing pitchers, they could alternate through the field with others (Devers included), at 1st, 2nd, 3rd and DH -- like Tampa's guys.

One change that has been unexpected in this age of less ground balls, more balls in the air, and defensive shifts is that second base has become less important as a position. Batters grounded into double plays in 2019 at a rate of 7% less than 2013, when Pedroia's defense keyed a title, and 15% less than 2007, when Pedroia was ROY on another title team. Now, anyone can stand in short right, handle one-hop liners and shot put 20-foot throws to first. The Brewers made the last two postseasons platooning guys like Moustakas and Travis Shaw at second.
    5GG, if you hit the little button that says Reply With Quote down on the lower right of a post, it will bring put the post you are responding to in a much more readable format than the quotation marks you seem to be using.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Devers is amazing at 3rd base. I don't want to mess with that chemistry right now. If Dalbec comes up, promote him as a 1B. Steady defense at 1B will be nice to have and I have a feeling we move on from Moreland. We need to save as much $$$ as possible in the upcoming 2 seasons as we rebuild into a contender. At minimum the owners have mandated we get below the salary tax cutoff.

Why should Dalbec ever DH? He's twice the defender as Devers at 3B. It's a waste of his top skill. That defensive value is worth more in trade than to the Sox with Dalbec at DH or 1B. I don't see how JD and Betts play into this choice. This about 3B and 1B. Maybe Devers could DH, but I'm not for that. Maybe Devers couldplay 1B, but I wouldn't mess with his psyche.

I'm okay with Marco, Lin & Chavis fighting for the 2B job but only as a bridge to 2021 or beyond.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VJCPatriot View Post
    Devers is amazing at 3rd base. I don't want to mess with that chemistry right now. If Dalbec comes up, promote him as a 1B. Steady defense at 1B will be nice to have and I have a feeling we move on from Moreland. We need to save as much $$$ as possible in the upcoming 2 seasons as we rebuild into a contender. At minimum the owners have mandated we get below the salary tax cutoff.
    Devers improved. He was not "amazing."
    Sox 4 Ever