Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where all Yankees free agents could land

Where all Yankees free agents could land

DELLIN BETANCES, RHP

2019 stats: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 game, 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 BB, 2 K.

The skinny: The four-time All-Star reliever may have to settle for a one-year contract this winter after spending all but one day of 2019 on the injured list, but all it takes is one club to swoop in and offer a long-term deal for good money. The Houston Astros probably will lose ace starter Gerrit Cole to free agency this winter, but they still need bullpen help a lot more than rotation additions. Betances’ tremendous 2014-18 resume could entice them (or someone else) to bolster their bullpen while weakening a major Yankees’ strength.

Prediction: Houston Astros.

EDWIN ENCARNACION, DH/1B

2019 hitting stats: .244 average, 418 AB, 81 runs, 102 hits, 34 HR, 86 RBI, 58 BB, 103 K, .875 OPS, 109 games.

2019 fielding stats: 2 errors, .996 fielding percentage in 57 games (57 starts) at first base.

The skinny: Encarnacion still offers a ton of right-handed power, but two injuries greatly limited his availability after he was traded to the Yankees in June as the AL home run leader. The Yanks smartly opted to buy out Encarnacion for $5 million rather than exercise a $20 million club option for 2020 because they have plenty of home-run hitters, but they may be interested in a one-year deal for a big pay cut late into the offseason depending on their need at the time. It’s a better bet that Encarnacion will get a better commitment elsewhere. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Encarnacion get a one-year deal with a club option from someone.

Prediction: Chicago White Sox.

BRETT GARDNER, OF

2019 hitting stats: .251 average, 491 AB, 86 runs, 123 hits, 28 HR, 74 RBI, 52 BB, 108 K, .829 OPS, 141 games.

2019 fielding stats: 1 error, .996 fielding percentage in 140 games (131 starts) in outfield. Started 94 games in center, 37 in left.

The skinny: Gardner has more bargaining power now than he did last offseason when he took a $3 million pay cut (counting a buyout) to return to the Yankees on a one-year deal that didn’t guarantee a starting job following a down 2018 campaign. His 2019 season mostly as a fill-in starter was very good– maybe the best of his career – and the Yanks not only want him back, but they need him in 2020 to be their starter in center field until Aaron Hicks returns in June, July or August from Tommy John surgery. The Yanks also greatly value Gardner’s leadership. Gardner should be able to get a two-year deal from someone, but regardless of the years and money, he wants to stay with his only professional organization badly and probably will accept the best offer that he gets to remain a Yankee.

Prediction: Yankees.

CORY GEARRIN, RHP

2019 stats: 1-3, 4.07 ERA, 66 games, 55.1 IP, 55 hits, 25 BB, 47 K.

The skinny: Gearrin was inconsistent after joining the Yankees in August as a waiver claim and thus left off their playoff roster even with fellow relievers Jonathan Holder and David Hale and Betances injured. That’s a sign that the Yanks aren’t giddy about Gearrin, who likely will move on and land a deal similar to the one-year, $1.4-million pact that he signed with the Seattle Mariners last January. Gearrin could be a steal for someone because he has a solid 3.64 ERA over eight seasons in the majors and he’s just two years removed from pitching to a 1.99 ERA over 68 outings for the 2017 San Francisco Giants.

Prediction: Texas Rangers.

DIDI GREGORIUS, SS

2019 hitting stats: .276 average, 324 AB, 47 runs, 77 hits, 16 HR, 61 RBI, 17 BB, 53 K, .718 OPS, 82 games.

2019 fielding stats: 6 errors, .979 fielding percentage in 80 games (78 starts) at shortstop.

The skinny: It’s been a tough read trying to figure out whether the Yankees hope to keep Gregorius, a proven offensive and defensive standout who didn’t live up to his past standard this season following his June return from offseason Tommy John surgery. The Yanks could opt to go with Gleyber Torres at shortstop and play DJ LeMahieu at second base next season, but they’d be much deeper with Gregorius returning. It’ll probably come down to money. According to spotrac.com, Gregorius has a market value of three years and $40.7 million, and that may be too pricy for the Yankees’ liking. The Yanks, however, might be able to bring back Gregorius at a bargain rate because the only other likely 2020 contender that may be looking for a shortstop this winter is the Milwaukee Brewers. Will the small-market Brewers make a big offer to Gregorius? Maybe. Would Gregorius take less money and years to stay with the Yankees to avoid playing in Milwaukee? Doubtful.

Prediction: Milwaukee Brewers.

CAMERON MAYBIN, OF

2019 hitting stats: .285 average, 239 AB, 48 runs, 68 hits, 11 HR, 32 RBI, 30 BB, 72 K, .858 OPS, 82 games.

2019 fielding stats: 2 errors, .984 fielding percentage in 77 games (63 starts) in outfield. Had 35 starts in left, 26 starts in right and two starts in center.

The skinny: Maybin did a good job as an often-used extra outfielder this season after joining the Yankees in an April 25 trade and the 13-year big leaguer cherished his time with the club so much that he hopes to return next season. A reunion appears a lot more likely now that center fielder Aaron Hicks opted for Tommy John surgery and will miss the first few months of the 2020 season. Gardner and Maybin re-signing could increase the possibility that the Yanks deal outfielder Clint Frazier in the offseason.

Prediction: Yankees.

AUSTIN ROMINE, C

2019 hitting stats: .251 average, 228 AB, 29 runs, 64 hits, 8 HR, 35 RBI, 10 BB, 50 K, .748 OPS, 72 games.

2019 fielding stats: 2 errors, .997 fielding percentage, 6 passed balls, 30 percent caught stealing (10-for-33) in 62 games (56 starts) at catcher.

The skinny: The Yankees probably hope to keep their No. 2 catcher, but Romine will be hunting for a starting job or platoon role elsewhere. Romine doesn’t have starter Gary Sanchez’s power or throwing arm, but he’ll likely get multiple multi-year offers because he works so well with pitchers and he has a reputation as a clutch hitter. A good landing spot for Romine could be the Los Angeles Angels because they need a quality receiver and he’s a Southern California native who lives close to Anaheim.

Prediction: Los Angeles Angels.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/11/d...ould-land.html

I still Think that Didi, Betances and Gardner will work something out with the Yankees, I don't see them with a different team next year

Betances might be offered a 2 yrs deal of about 7 Millions plus some big incentives attache to IP

Didi, will be tough to keep because I see a lot of competition for him in the FA market, probably a 3-4 yrs in the 40 millions range

Gardner could be back with a similar deal, something around 8-10 Millions for 1 year (more than that will be very risky

No way we see Maybin and Gardner back. It's one or the other or none. With Hicks down into June, Tauchman becomes our CFer with no real backup. I guess Judge could go to CF and Stanton to RF in a pinch, but I wouldn't make a habit of doing that. We could use another OFer capable of playing CF. That being said, Gardy isn't gonna come cheap. Maybin likely isn't gonna come cheap. I let them both walk and sign a defensive whiz like Lagares or Hamilton and at least have the defensive part of it covered should Tauchman go down. We must prioritize a starter. Maybe we don't go in for Cole and Strasburg, but we must come away with someone to lead this rotation and show the rest of the rotation how it is done.
    Hal sucks

I agree, I think it will be Gardner the one who stays with the Yankees

All-Star
    Bring Dellin back, see if Didi can come back. He gets a lot of hate but the man is a good ball player. Gardner will be back, I wouldn't mind seeing him not back though. With 75 million coming off the books after 2020, I think the Yankees should really think about 'overpaying' for Cole.

The deals I'd make are Dellin back on a one year deal or two if he wants. I'd bring Didi back as well. Sign Cole. Wait out Gardner if he wants to come back for his 2019 deal 7.5 million then do it.

I'd actually trade Ottavino. Guy was lights out for us this season, but he's not needed. I think Loaisiga moves into two inning set up.

Our bullpen will be good.

Chapman - closer
    LSU- Britton
    RSU- Dellin
    7th inning - Kahnle
    Multiple inning - Loaisiga
    Opener/Fireman - Green
    Long guy - Cessa

Not worried about the bullpen at all. i'd be pissed off if we don't resign Dellin.

Here in lies the issue Meh, I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Yanks go over the final threshold, nor should they. Granted, their first pick in the draft over the past 10 years had generally sucked (Judge was the second), so the penalty isn't that severe for a team that cannot hit on their first draft pick. They are right at the LT currently. That means we have $40 mil to play with before crossing the final line. Barring a trade, we will have room for probably a reserve OFer and one ace. That's about it
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I still Think that Didi, Betances and Gardner will work something out with the Yankees, I don't see them with a different team next year

Betances might be offered a 2 yrs deal of about 7 Millions plus some big incentives attache to IP

Didi, will be tough to keep because I see a lot of competition for him in the FA market, probably a 3-4 yrs in the 40 millions range

Gardner could be back with a similar deal, something around 8-10 Millions for 1 year (more than that will be very risky
    If the Yankees wanted Gregorius back, they would have given him a QO in order to weaken the interest of other teams (or to simply just get him back for one year). Has any high profile free agent ever not been offered a QO and then re-signed with his former team?

If they’re re-signed after a declined QO, it’s usually immediately after the declination

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If they’re re-signed after a declined QO, it’s usually immediately after the declination
    I can't think of any instances offhand. But that's also not an applicable scenario to Gregorius, who was not offered a QO to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I can't think of any instances offhand. But that's also not an applicable scenario to Gregorius, who was not offered a QO to begin with...
    MLBTR are projecting Didi to get three years, $42MM (14/year). I think he will get 4-5 years in the 50-60 millions range

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    MLBTR are projecting Didi to get three years, $42MM (14/year). I think he will get 4-5 years in the 50-60 millions range
    Not unreasonable.

The best comp I can think of is Zack Cozart, who got 3 years at age 31 after accruing 8.2 fWAR the 3 previous seasons. Didi is entering his age 30 season after accruing 9.7 fWAR the 3 previous seasons. So I would expect on the basis of being younger and better, he should top Cozart's deal by a good amount. The only factor that might alter this is if his elbow is a problem...

The elbow isn’t a problem. The problem is that he’s become a dead pull hitter and almost all his power comes in YS where he can homer on a 320 foot can of corn. I think he’s gonna find a more diminished market than most pundits think as a lot of his offense is the product of the park

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The elbow isn’t a problem. The problem is that he’s become a dead pull hitter and almost all his power comes in YS where he can homer on a 320 foot can of corn. I think he’s gonna find a more diminished market than most pundits think as a lot of his offense is the product of the park
    Except that Milwaukee needs a shortstop and Miller Park can fit on the playing surface in Yankee Stadium...

They’ll be bidding against themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Bring Dellin back, see if Didi can come back. He gets a lot of hate but the man is a good ball player. Gardner will be back, I wouldn't mind seeing him not back though. With 75 million coming off the books after 2020, I think the Yankees should really think about 'overpaying' for Cole.

The deals I'd make are Dellin back on a one year deal or two if he wants. I'd bring Didi back as well. Sign Cole. Wait out Gardner if he wants to come back for his 2019 deal 7.5 million then do it.

I'd actually trade Ottavino. Guy was lights out for us this season, but he's not needed. I think Loaisiga moves into two inning set up.

Our bullpen will be good.

Chapman - closer
    LSU- Britton
    RSU- Dellin
    7th inning - Kahnle
    Multiple inning - Loaisiga
    Opener/Fireman - Green
    Long guy - Cessa

Not worried about the bullpen at all. i'd be pissed off if we don't resign Dellin.
    I'd like to have Didi, Betances and Gardner back, but I don't think it's going to happen