Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mookie and Andrew Mcutchen .....

i would guess a player like betts that sells a ton of #50 merch would be profitable for an owner into the $3-$400MM range. the flipside is that if you invest that amount of $$ into 1 player that prevents signing other players that could potentially bring us parades (see: pitchers).
    many on here for years have been stating the JH doesnt care about budgets and that player payroll doesnt matter. clearly it does. 2020 will be the 2nd time during his ownership that this has been shown. we are finally getting out from the panda/hram contracts but are still saddled with price/sale. do we want to have $345/10 on the books for the next decade for 1 player?
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Jerseys never though about that one. They trade him, they will become a collectors item. Then they will market Bogey and Devers ones next. That's the way the cycle goes. Always someone next.
    Aren't jersey sales property of MLB anyway?

No one is saying Betts is as good as Trout. But Mookie has been as good or better than everyone else in his six MLB years. Therefore, Betts -- about to enter his prime -- has earned and deserves a top-of-the-market contract -- whatever those numbers are, beginning in 2021.

If Mookie isn't worthy, then who is? Fans certainly can't decide the payscale of an entire industry. All we can do is drive it up with our financial support or drive it down by avoiding it.

Mookie Betts has also played great in three pennant races (and before anyone cites postseason stats, remember Trout has only made the playoffs once, when he hit .083). Trout is already an all-time great, but has only really participated in one pennant race and his team has had losing records in five of his eight full seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Lost Fisk, Burleson, Lynn, still OK in Stadium, even back then, might have a little drop, but they will come back, always do.
    Baseball is dying on TV because of length of game.
    Been a Fan since 1960, very hard to watch entire game anymore, even with Mookie.
    Also, the playoffs go from 8 pm EST to midnight. Too late and too long. Hopefully the 3 batter minimum helps with the length, but the games still need to start at a reasonable hour. Games shouldn't go past 10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Aren't jersey sales property of MLB anyway?
    Who gets the money if sold at Fenway Park?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    52% to the Red Sox
    48% to revenue sharing

Deity
    From very brief internet research:

Apparently it depends on the jersey, etc. But for licensed jerseys, the MLBPA gets 11-15% and divides it EQUALLY among the members. The rest goes to the manufacturer and retailer. For unlicensed jerseys bearing the player's name but no official team logo, the player does get a royalty.

The upshot seems to be that Red Sox get nothing from Betts' jersey sales. All they get is the money for leasing the space to the retailer if it is sold at Fenway Park...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    52% to the Red Sox
    48% to revenue sharing
    Where did you find that? I found nothing that says anything remotely close. But my research was admittedly very cursory...

Where did you find that? I found nothing that says anything remotely close. But my research was admittedly very cursory...
    BR

In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams alsoreceive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.

BR

In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams also receive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.
    So, basically, the whole player budget up to the luxury tax is paid before they even to the gate receipts and TV revenue.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    BR

In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams alsoreceive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.
    Doesn't that refer to ticket money?

I think merchandising is different, since team logos are considered property of MLB and not of the individual teams...

Deity
    So, basically, the whole player budget up to the luxury tax is paid before they even to the gate receipts and TV revenue.
    I think what he is referring to is the gate revenue...

Doesn't that refer to ticket money?

I think merchandising is different, since team logos are considered property of MLB and not of the individual teams...
    Among measures that are typically part of revenue sharing are splitting national television rights, pooling of merchandising revenues, and in the case of Major League Baseball, developing and pooling revenues from the internet via mlb.com. Revenue sharing can also include some redistributive measures such as a luxury tax, or even forcing teams to pay a portion of their local television revenues into a common pool (something which has been contemplated but never implemented in MLB). The common thread is that these measures treat richer and poorer teams on an equal footing, or in the case of redistributive measures, take some of the excess revenues of richer teams and provide these to less-favored teams.

Deity
    Among measures that are typically part of revenue sharing are splitting national television rights, pooling of merchandising revenues, and in the case of Major League Baseball, developing and pooling revenues from the internet via mlb.com. Revenue sharing can also include some redistributive measures such as a luxury tax, or even forcing teams to pay a portion of their local television revenues into a common pool (something which has been contemplated but never implemented in MLB). The common thread is that these measures treat richer and poorer teams on an equal footing, or in the case of redistributive measures, take some of the excess revenues of richer teams and provide these to less-favored teams.
    OK, but I think again that is only among the portion the league gets.

"Between 11 percent and 15 percent of the merchandise sales will go to the league and is then shared equally among the teams. The rest goes to the manufacturer."

Source: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...s-merchandise/

Worth pointing out, that is 3 years old and might be outdated. But maybe the 48%/52% split is of the 11-15%, which means teams are getting about 5%-ish of the revenue from each jersey sale. So for a $75 jersey, that selling team team gets between $4.29 and $5.85 and the revenue sharing portion is between $3.96 and $5.40. That seem about right?

The manufacturers do make a bundle on these things...

yeah. i also found this:
    In general, MLB merchandise sales have remained around $3 billion per year over the past ten years. Scott Sillcox from the Licensed Sports Blog suggests that MLB receives a royalty payment of 12% of the $3.4B in sales or roughly $400 Million that is split equally between all teams. In addition, MLB receives an unknown amount of licensing revenue from other sources.