Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Astros sign-stealing allegations

Rizzo: "I'm doing some math in my head about what he's going to throw."
    Jessica Mendoza: "What do you got?"
    Rizzo: "I have no idea. I wish I knew… someone bang for me."
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I question his sincerity, but I like his integrity...
    But does one depend on the other?

History shows people favor those who at least feign integrity; McGwire not talking about the past or Palmeiro pointing his finger were ridiculed a million times more than Pettitte, who admitted he juiced, but only because he "felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible" (and of course, not for fame, fortune and thus, even family). How noble of Andy.

my favorite article of spring training thus far:

So here's one way to prevent sign stealing: Just tell the batter what's coming.

That's what Reds right-hander Trevor Bauer did at points during his Cactus League outing against the Dodgers at Goodyear Ballpark on Monday. Bauer used the traditional glove sign for whatever pitch he was about to throw to Dodgers hitter Matt Beaty in the 4th inning, just as if he was signaling to his catcher what was coming while warming up between innings.

It all worked out just fine, too -- Beaty flew out to center field, and Bauer ended up tossing three scoreless innings out of the bullpen, giving up two hits and striking out two. He struck out Enrique Hernández swinging and A.J. Pollock looking in the sixth.

After noticing Bauer using the glove signs, Reds television reporter Jim Day inquired about it with a friend of Bauer's in the dugout, Derek Dietrich.

"If you've followed baseball this offseason, there's a little thing going on with sign stealing," Dietrich said, referring to MLB's investigation into sign-stealing allegations against the Astros and Red Sox. "Trevor's not too fond of it, so he figured he's gonna try something new this season, and he's gonna start telling batters what's coming -- just, here it comes, try to hit it."

While it worked from the fourth through sixth innings Monday, it might not be advisable to do it all the time.

"Trevor's always gonna do something crazy," Dietrich said. "We enjoy him."

Arod checking in:

"You cheat, you win a championship, there is no suspension, and then there's no remorse," Rodriguez said Tuesday during a Red Sox-Yankees Spring Training broadcast. "The last one is probably the worst one. From a guy who has made as many mistakes as anybody on the biggest stage—I served the longest suspension in MLB history, it cost me well over $35 million, and you know what? I deserved that. I came back. I owned it after acting like a buffoon for a long time. I had my apologies, and then I went dark. I wanted my next move to be contrite and change my narrative. You have to be accountable...I felt the hatred from the people and I earned it."

Astros will be wearing Palmeiro branded earplugs all year.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

For each astro's strikeout they should play this over the speaker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2naim9F4010

Some dumb ass bull shit............

@PeteAbe
    It's going to be an extraordinarily difficult season for Houston. But just watched Dusty Baker go down a line of fans at JetBlue Park signing autographs, posing for photos and even hugging a few folks. Baseball is better when Dusty is around.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Some dumb ass bull shit............

@PeteAbe
    It's going to be an extraordinarily difficult season for Houston. But just watched Dusty Baker go down a line of fans at JetBlue Park signing autographs, posing for photos and even hugging a few folks. Baseball is better when Dusty is around.
    astros ignoring major league baseball /memorules again so soon????!!!!

Dusty Baker is only good when there's a 5 year old bat boy who is about to get mowed down at home plate.

now we know why the Angels can't win with the greatest player to ever walk the planet:

The Los Angeles Times reported last night that the Angels have fired their visiting clubhouse manager after an internal investigation revealed that he was providing ball-doctoring substances to opposing pitchers.

The clubhouse manager, Brian Harkins, had been at his post since 1990, after starting out with the club as a batboy in the early 1980s. The team confirmed that he had been fired but did not elaborate on the reason citing legal restrictions preventing them from discussing employee matters.